FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Weed/Grass Issue, All pro's click  (Read 3879 times)

vancouvercanuck

Weed/Grass Issue, All pro's click
« on: Jul 29, 2004, 12:39 PM »
Ok, I try and keep my lawn as nice as possible. I hate landscaping, give me a lawnmover and a lawn and i'm happy. I don't need plants, tree's and all that stuff. I want to know what this crap is growing in my front lawn. It grows alot taller than the grass does and I can't seem to get rid of it. Does anyone know what it is, and what I can use to get rid of it? It almost looks like it wants to flower or something.

Thanks. First pic is my lawn, Second and third is the crap i'm trying to get rid of.

"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

slipbob

Re: Weed/Grass Issue, All pro's click
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2004, 02:29 PM »
Some sort of invasive Canadian lawn cannabis.  Maybe you could try to dry some of it and smoke it!   8)   Okay I couldn't resist but in the fall go with some type of weedkiller and see what happens.  It's not flowering because you keep it cut and if by next year it doesn't seem to spread your mowing efforts will be enough to keep it under control.  If it doesn't spread much I wouldn't worry, but you love your lawn so the weedkiller is your best bet but you won't know the results of that until next year after it has had some time to work.  Always apply weedkillers and any fertilizer in just the spring and fall when those weeds germinate.  Good luck vc and plant some flowers will ya!!   ;D

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2004, 04:34 PM »
VC - It's hard to tell from the pictures, but if the stuff is sort of a bluey-green color, with skinny leaves that look a lot like grass, and it grows taller than the surrounding grass, it could be foxtail, which is an annoying pest of prairie lawns.  Has your climate out there been drier than usual?  It prefers drier conditions.

What you could do is dig up one of the plants, put it on a white paper, and post a picture of it.  That would make the plant stand out better.  Preferably, take the plant to a nursery or garden center, and see what they think it is - maybe they've seen more of it this year than usual.  I'm not a garden expert, so I'd hesitate to even suggest a weed killer before you have identified it.

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2004, 04:39 PM »
I doubt that it is foxtail... you could always let it grow to find out if it is foxtail or not.  No confusing it when it is in bloom!  It is also fairly tough to kill and hard on cattle on the prairies.  Not that you have cattle frequenting your back lawn...  ::)

It is more than likely a type of crabgrass and should be easy enough to kill with round-up or weed-n-feed fertilizer (name your brand).  A drastic measure would be to sterilize the soil in that area and start over with a good mixture of grass seeds.

You have a lot of folks in your area that know all about canola, barley, wheat, rye, and various pest weeds.  Do you know anyone that farms grain?  You could show them a sample and they would probably know what it is right off...

Hookset

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2004, 10:54 AM »
Looks like standard variety crab grass.  Go with Scotts weed and feed with crabgrass killer in the spring and it will vanish...at least it did for me.  Good luck.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

TJ

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2004, 01:47 AM »
VC, it's quackgrass. You have to work fast and isolate it because it spreads fast. The best way to choke it out is with a good healthy rooted lawn. But for fast results, Round-up is the best. Heres an idea: rope off the infected area and use round-up on it only. After a week or two it should be deador dieing and in the roped area, if not, re-rope and re-apply till it is dead and stays in the roped area. The root of this pest is only one and the rest are shoots. Post what you do and the results.

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2004, 10:37 AM »
Thanks TJ, I put round up on that area and kept applying the Round Up every five days, it has since vanished for now.

Thanks.....
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Original FISHER Jodoin

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2005, 05:05 PM »
My dad is a veteran weed-warrior
GIT _ R _ DONE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.