FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623738 times)

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3690 on: May 26, 2019, 06:45 PM »
Here are a few recent ties for gills...you can't see it very well but the brown foam hopper  has an under carriage tied from  that bird...thanks again Dom..

take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3691 on: May 26, 2019, 07:59 PM »
very nice ice john
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3692 on: May 27, 2019, 05:47 AM »
Very nice John..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Bartman44

« Reply #3693 on: Jan 05, 2020, 08:31 AM »
Bumping RG's original thread up as it's that time of the year again and there's good info in here. Who's tying?

Other than last Saturday, I haven't picked up a fishing rod since the end of October. I have been tying though. I bought new fly boxes for my son's for Christmas and tied an assortment to put in their boxes.  After that, I started tying for my boxes. Started tying a bunch  "Frenchies" or "Hot Spot" Pheasant tails as I've never used them before but they seem to be the rage.  Got to field test them last Saturday on  the Delaware River border water and they worked as I hooked up with 11 very nice trout, both browns and rainbows. I've also been tying compara-duns for the spring as you can never have enough of those on the Delaware system.

zwiggles

« Reply #3694 on: Jan 05, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Those look very nice Bartman!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3695 on: Jan 05, 2020, 01:12 PM »
Nice ties as always Bart. Truth be told, I haven't sat down at the vise in almost a year. But, that's going to change. I've made up my mind to sell the boat this spring and get back to stream and river fishing. Thinking about a sit on kayak, but not really settled yet.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SeanP

• Formally known as SPN
« Reply #3696 on: Jan 05, 2020, 05:49 PM »
I will post some pics soon......working on shrimp and crab patterns.

Going for Bonefish in Grand Cayman at the end of the month!!!

SeanP

oatkasut

« Reply #3697 on: Jan 05, 2020, 08:31 PM »
BART, I LOVE THOSE FLIES! I"VE HAD GREAT SUCCESS AROUND ROSCOE WITH THE GODBEADHEAD PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH SIZE 16 AND AN ISONYCHIA EMERGER SIZE 14,CATCHING BROWNS TO 20 INCHES. GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR!

Bartman44

« Reply #3698 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Nice ties as always Bart. Truth be told, I haven't sat down at the vise in almost a year. But, that's going to change. I've made up my mind to sell the boat this spring and get back to stream and river fishing. Thinking about a sit on kayak, but not really settled yet.

Rg

Thanks Bob. I have 2 sit in kayaks and they are fun. They get you places boats can't go. I used to throw them on racks on top of my car but can't do that anymore so I bought one of those Malone trailer kits and built it in the garage. Now it's easy on/off with the trailer and the trailer rides nice behind the car.     

Bartman44

« Reply #3699 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:54 PM »
I will post some pics soon......working on shrimp and crab patterns.

Going for Bonefish in Grand Cayman at the end of the month!!!

SeanP

Sean, that sounds great.  I'll be very interested in what you are tying as I'm headed to the keys in the spring. My youngest son is getting married and my oldest son and I are taking him to Islamorada for a fishing/fun  trip before he ties the knot.     

Bartman44

« Reply #3700 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:56 PM »
BART, I LOVE THOSE FLIES! I"VE HAD GREAT SUCCESS AROUND ROSCOE WITH THE GODBEADHEAD PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH SIZE 16 AND AN ISONYCHIA EMERGER SIZE 14,CATCHING BROWNS TO 20 INCHES. GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR!

Thanks, good to know. What's your ISO emerger look like?

Bartman44

« Reply #3701 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:57 PM »
Those look very nice Bartman!

Thanks, more to follow. 

oatkasut

« Reply #3702 on: Jan 07, 2020, 08:43 AM »
The iso-emerger looks just like your compara-dun you showed in your post.

Bartman44

« Reply #3703 on: Jan 09, 2020, 05:02 PM »
Gotcha on the ISO.

More tying.  I'm restocking some old faithful's and I received a special order from my son a while back that I just fulfilled.

Restocking the good old prince nymph. They are rainbow magnets and I use a lot of them, especially in the fall.

My son was on the Deerfield last summer and spotted a rather large trout but couldn't get it to take after switching flies a dozen times. As a last resort, he had this green worm in his box and tossed it at the trout and it went after it with a vengeance. The trout was caught but the fly was destroyed in the process and he told me I  needed to tie some. All I had was a general description, the bare hook with some residual thread, and a photo of the fish with the disassembled fly in his mouth.  I found some green rubber from an old spinner bait and tied up my best guess at the green worm. Texted a photo to my son and he gave me the thumbs up. Tied a few for myself.   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3704 on: Jan 10, 2020, 04:10 PM »
Very nice Bart. Prince nymphs are a fun tie.

Still tied up in the little wood shop and haven't sat down at the bench. Just finished an order for some mahogany table legs and feet.

This shop does nice work.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.