FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Line strength  (Read 4301 times)

TMadness1013

Line strength
« on: May 27, 2006, 04:10 PM »
Hi all,

I'm brand new to fishing & still trying to learn the ropes.  I just bought myself a new spinning rod & reel combo.  The rod is medium/light action, with 6 lb. test line.

My question is, what happens if I happen to land a big fish such as a pike, that is 10+  lbs.  I know that when bringing her in, I should use the bend of the rod to my advantage to create slack and then reel in.  However, will the 6 lb. line snap anyway simply because the fish weighs more than 6 pounds? 

Should I remove this line and put on a stronger one if I plan to try for bigger fish, or would that not work on a medium/light rod?

Thanks in advance.

J_Maki

Re: Line strength
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 06:52 PM »
As long as your drag is set properly you will have no problem landing a 20+lb fish on 6lb line. Just let your rod and reel do the work instead of the line.

esox slayer

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:13 PM »
As long as your drag is set properly you will have no problem landing a 20+lb fish on 6lb line. Just let your rod and reel do the work instead of the line.

Agreed..and don't try to hoist the fish out of the water using the line only..,make sure you have a net or something to take the tension off the line after you are in control of him and have him at the shore or boatside...Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

Nickp

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 08:48 PM »
water is denser then air

I believe the ratio is 1 to 50 or so

but there are exceptions- you can pull on a 20 pound pike with 6 pound test all you ewant and if it doesnt fight it will come towards you- as soon as its more then a 1/3 or so out of the water the line SHOULD snap- remember your knots are 80-50 percent of the line strength- meaning if you have 10 pound test and tie an improved clinch knot you get like 75 percent of the line tets meaning it will hold on with a 7.5 pound fish or less

theres a very interesting site but im not gonan search for it

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:49 PM »
your best bet is to customize your gear to what you are doing. I know that for a beginner, it could become very spendy to get all the gear you need to fish several species at one time, so perhaps you should focus on using what you have for what it is good for. It sounds to me that your set up would be great for several species of pan fish, walleye, or even bass. I have many combos like yours, I use them for live bait on jigs or under bobbers. Another use would be using soft plastic curly tailed grubs on a lead head. As for fishing pike with 6#, I wouldn't say it was something I do, but  as long as the drag is good anything is possible.

pizalm

• drop the hammer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 07:24 PM »
You can land big fish with light line but it will put more stress on the fish which could kill it. If you can only afford one rod and reel set up, spool it with heavier line and if you are having a problem with them being line shy you can tie on a lighter leader.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.