FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Berkely iron silk or fireline  (Read 5750 times)

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
Berkely iron silk or fireline
« on: Apr 09, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Hey everyone i need to get some new line for my spincasting reels that i use for trout. I am usually fly fish so i don't know much about the new hi tech spincasting line and have heard good things about iron silk and fireline but can't choose which one. I do most of my trout fishing by throwing out bait but i also throw lures or jigs once in a while. I usually get by with mono but i need more sensitivity when fishing jigs cuz the fish bite really lightly in the colder months. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Berkely iron silk or fireline
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2005, 11:06 PM »
Well...fireline is useless when it gets below freezing.

does that help?

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2005, 02:34 AM »
I don't like either one.
I have posted many a time my complaints about Fireline.
And the Iron Silk sh!t is so stiff you could beat someone with it.
Don't get me wrong- I am a Berkley man, but I don't like the "new" stuff.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2005, 01:13 PM »
It pretty much never gets below freezing on kodiak so that's not an issue.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2005, 02:24 PM »
The fireline with a flourocarbon leader would be best for sensitivity I use Iron silk for cats and find it has a fair amount of stretch to it strong as hell but wouldn't want to be casting lures with it all day.If you do go with the fireline makes sure to lay down 50 yards or so of mono first or else it'll just slip on you when you hook into a fish.

justafeedboy

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:45 PM »
 :DI'm using 20 lb iron silk on my shore/ocean shimano baitrunner 4500b, at first I did not like it after fishing with it a few times I can say that it is great when fishing around a rocky bottom, it really holds up as far as abration.  It has a fair amount of stretch after being wet.  And it is very stong when something really aggressive takes hold.  The only knot I can consistently tie is a trilene knot, and have it holds it's strength.  The line is very stiff when dry.

gudkatch

• when I yell fish on...GRAB THE NET!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2005, 06:50 AM »
I just strung  some 4lb iron silk on a light action spinning rod.  It does seem a little stiffer than 4lb mono.  I'm casting tube jigs and normally with mono I get loops from line twist but I didn't have any problems.  I'm going to try casting some spinners next time and see how bad the line twists.  Another thing for sure is when you set the hook it is burred in the fish's mouth.  In my opinion its not to bad of a line.
The man who coined the phrase "money can't buy happiness" never bought himself a good flyrod.

Hood

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2005, 07:22 AM »
Fireline, tried the silk once and prolly wont ever use it again. The silk was very stiff and made me think of fly line. The fireline is great until winter when it freezes as red mentioned and makes a huge mess,  I use the fireline in the summer (10 lb) and my spare spool is rigged with berkley XT 6lb dark green. If your using the fireline be sure to tie a palomar knot, clinch knots tend to slide through if you do not wrap enough and the palomar is a stronger knot anyway, its smaller, and doesnt slip even with the fireline.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

buzzbomb

« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2005, 08:30 AM »
I'm using #14 Ironsilk on a baitfeeder for carp fishing (was supplied with a replacement reel on Mitchell's warranty) and though it did seem a bit stiff at first it has very little memory and is well suited to the fishing I'm into.  I have to clip the end 5 or 6' after every few big fish but that's normal for any kind of line because of the runs they make right in front of the net.  I like the abrasion resistant qualities because I don't like using braid and occasionally have to deal with snags.  If they expand the product line to offer more colors I could see it being a big seller for Berkley.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.