FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Painting Jigs  (Read 5856 times)

gudkatch

• when I yell fish on...GRAB THE NET!!!!
Painting Jigs
« on: May 10, 2005, 07:04 AM »
I have a bunch of bare leadhead jiggs.  I'v got my base coat of white on them and next I'll be puting on my first color.  I have a few jiggs I've purchased and they are are a two tone.  How were they done?  The paint Im using is the vinyl jig head paint(thinned out).  I'm wondering if a air brush can be used with this paint If I thin it out enough or will it gum up the paint gun.
The man who coined the phrase "money can't buy happiness" never bought himself a good flyrod.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Painting Jigs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 07:16 AM »
if you thin the paint out enough, it should go through the airbrush ok...next time you might want to check out powder coat paints, they work extremely well!

gudkatch

• when I yell fish on...GRAB THE NET!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 07:26 AM »
next time you might want to check out powder coat paints, they work extremely well!

I do use the powder but I'm not really satisfied with it.  I still have problems with it chipping even in my jig box even when I post bake the jigs in the oven. :-\
The man who coined the phrase "money can't buy happiness" never bought himself a good flyrod.

roguer

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 12:47 PM »
if you use the powder, hang them off racks in the oven at 350 degrees for less than 10 minutes. after this, dip them in the powder or if you are in a hurry, heat them up with a blow torch ( about 5 seconds a side) and then dip them in the powder. you can bounce them off a concrete floor and they won't chip. an old timer taught me this.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 08:22 AM »
I've been makeing jigs for quite a while now and experamented with the Liquid vinyl paint useing a airbrush. It is still the best method of getting what you want out of your lure makeing. Many tricks can be done with the airbrush and as the old saying goes the sky is the limmit. The main thing with it is getting the right mix with the thinners and the right tips on the airbrush. Med seems to work the best with the vinyl and a little secret to save even more $ is use Methel Ethyl Keytone for thinner about 2.00 for a quart compared to 4.00 for 1 oz. The first thing you should do is clean all the casting marks off the jig any little mark or seams on the jig will show thru the paint job. Second is dip the jig in M.E.K. to degrease the head let it dry then use a long pair of Forceps to hold the jig by the hook for painting it makes it real easy to work with the jig rotateing it and hanging without touching the paint job by mistake. 
The next is to make a area to hang the jigs to dry I use a 1/2" mesh and hang the mesh off a easle with a pair of spring clamps this keeps the jigs appart while drying. Now that you are ready to paint put a good base of white on ALL the jigs you can do this with a brush just be carefull of runs and sags that wreck the jig if you put it on to heavy Let it dry to the touch about 2 hrs. Mix the vinyl and thinners about 1 to 1 depending on if you want to paint the whole jig or add blending. Sometimes even 2 parts thinner is requird so get used to mixing and trying it to see how it sprays. Be aware the M.E.K. dries fast and will harden in the airbrsh so dont play around to much or you will have to break down the gun to clean it. Start your spraying from the top of the jig working slowly down the sides you will see how easy it is makeing a 2 tone paint job Darker top with white bottom. Now add a little orange or hot pink under the nose of the jig and you have a bleading ball head jig. I have been playing around with Egg sack material and wrapping the jig head with it keeping it tight to the jig and spraying it lightly Remove the netting and in doing this it adds fish scales The white base shows thru the top coat Make other stenciles and the sky is the limmit for makeing your own style jigs. After you finnish painting add a clear coat and let dry for a couple days They will last for a few years with no problem. Also learn how to mix colors to get another color. Such as black and orange makes brown, blue and pink makes purple, blue and yellow makes green and so on. One fair warning The fumes are hard on the body so wear a good resporator and when you get done painting for a few weeks add a little M.E.K. to the top of the paint so it doesnt gell up it hardens fast when exposed to air and it wont be long till your paints are hard as a rock.
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

bigdave1018

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 04:40 AM »
too much messing around for this old bird!!!! its power paint for me or suck it up and buy them. great info though,Coldfeet.

d_balm24

• WORK is for people who don't know how to FISH.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 10:31 AM »
powder paint is the best for me.Coat em good and stick em in the oven on 350 for 10 min.They won't chip at all.

cnyfishing

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 06:21 PM »
powder paint is the best for me.Coat em good and stick em in the oven on 350 for 10 min.They won't chip at all.
you gotta love the powder paint... I heat the leadhead over sterno for a few seconds dip them in the powder, and bake them at 350 for 8-10 min. If they are done this way they shouldn't chip
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.