FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mooring my boat?  (Read 1471 times)

0Dark30

Mooring my boat?
« on: Jun 07, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Has anybody ever used the screw in auger type moorings for their boat? Do you like them? I am going to put a mooring in for my 19 foot holiday in 3 feet of water out in front of camp. I will only use it 3 weeks a year but i don't want to have to trailer or beach the boat every night. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpfull. I want to put in something that can be used for a long time and be easy for the wife to use when i am not upta camp with her and the munchkins, so just the anchor isn't an option. Thanks in advance
Vegetarian= Ancient Indian word for bad fisherman!

DT5150

Re: Mooring my boat?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2012, 08:25 AM »
haven't seen a screw-in/auger type mooring before. my dad has one for his boat and it's a huge block of concrete. if this is in nh waters, be sure to look into the process for having a mooring. they don't let you just put one out there. there's some hoops you gotta jump through first. then you have to register it every year. 

0Dark30

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:30 AM »
No it is upta my camp in Maine in fresh water. Fairly shallow so a block wouldn't be useful as it would pose a threat to my boat. was reading about the screw type and i liked it cause all that is above the bottom is the eye, everything else is sunk so the ice on the lake shouldn't even be able to mess with it. Thanks for the response!!

DT5150

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2012, 10:24 AM »
i've used some auger anchors on my portable garage, they didn't work worth a darn. for the life of me, i could not get them to screw into the ground more than 6 or 7 inches. ended up having to modify them considerably to get them to work. and the soil isn't rocky at all either. how's the bottom on your lake? is it sandy? if it's rocky, you might have some problems.

0Dark30

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Not to rocky. I had same problem with my portable garage, had to open the gap in the auger spacing then it worked better. I do have 3 strong of back weak of mind friends enlisted to give me a hand when we start the project. I hope that it works out. Thanks for the info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.