FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tackle Shortage...  (Read 3053 times)

Rapala7G

Tackle Shortage...
« on: Aug 11, 2020, 09:27 AM »
When TP was unobtainable we still had paper towels, tissues and 100 grit sandpaper.

I can't find any lures of my namesake. 

Buying a spinning rod and reel for a gift was like searching for the holy grail.

Sinkers and large snap swivels for ocean fishing are memorialized by their labeled but empty bins.

***censored****?

Did someone shut off the China Express and forget to advise others to ramp up production?

Grrrrrrrr!

You know all those crappy lures in the box that you only try when nothing else works (thus reinforcing their crappiness)?

Well it looks like they are about to get their lucky break.

lowaccord66

Re: Tackle Shortage...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Its hard for businesses to deal with the constraints of the tackle dealers.  Imagine having to place a minimum order of 100 units of say Rapala when you are deemed non-critical as a business and must close...then when you open your funds for reorders have been depleted by lack of sales...but your distributor still has a minimum unit order.  Price per unit is dictated by volume so its quite the vicious circle.  I dove deep into the mechanics of that business as I had some interest in it and learned the baitshops are small fish in a big pond when it comes to stocking the shelves.

steve01987

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2020, 10:30 AM »
Its hard for businesses to deal with the constraints of the tackle dealers.  Imagine having to place a minimum order of 100 units of say Rapala when you are deemed non-critical as a business and must close...then when you open your funds for reorders have been depleted by lack of sales...but your distributor still has a minimum unit order.  Price per unit is dictated by volume so its quite the vicious circle.  I dove deep into the mechanics of that business as I had some interest in it and learned the baitshops are small fish in a big pond when it comes to stocking the shelves.

The viscous cycle of distribution.  We sell boat parts and at this point in the season you can't find anything.  Very frustrating

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2020, 10:55 AM »
I went to BPS Hooksett last week, it looked like they were closing the doors! I would be surprised if they and a lot of the other big box stores do not survive this.

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2020, 11:15 AM »
Most manufacturers had to shut down for covid. Production is way way behind from what I understand. I “bought” a new saltwater set up in late June. Shimano is back ordered beyond belief, and I’m still waiting. Sounds like I will be able to use the set up next year at this point.

jibbs

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2020, 08:29 PM »
Agree..tried to buy a new Carolina rig rod..backed ordered till November
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Johnnh

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2020, 03:52 AM »
I stopped in to BPS in Hooksett to see one of my fishing buddies from back in the ABA and NEBA trail days. He works in the fishing department and it looks like their staff has been reduced. I wasn't looking for anything to buy but, YIKES the shelves are very low on inventory..
Their product inventory has been poor for a while and the manufacturer slow down due to covid has certainly had an impact.
Maybe there will be an increase in the used tackle market. I would guess that there are about a dozen of us on this board that have enough tackle to open a well stocked store.

jibbs

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2020, 06:13 AM »
I stopped in to BPS in Hooksett to see one of my fishing buddies from back in the ABA and NEBA trail days. He works in the fishing department and it looks like their staff has been reduced. I wasn't looking for anything to buy but, YIKES the shelves are very low on inventory..
Their product inventory has been poor for a while and the manufacturer slow down due to covid has certainly had an impact.
Maybe there will be an increase in the used tackle market. I would guess that there are about a dozen of us on this board that have enough tackle to open a well stocked store.
seriously my shelves have been stocked for years ..
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Jethro

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:23 AM »

That's interesting... Well, if anyone has any 1/2oz and 1 oz lead weights (saltwater), 12" wire leaders for bluefish, 3 way swivels and some of the larger duo-snaps... I'm looking! Also BPS had zero, I mean ZERO 20 or 30lb mono line. I'd also be interested in a semi-heavy rod and reel setup, conventional reel for like 50lb line. I haven't been able to find anything for that either.

Rapala7G

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:39 AM »
I have been to BPS twice in two weeks.

While I did not find what I was looking for I did see a few items the second time that were not there the first.

I am pretty sure I saw a few medium heavy salt water rod and reel combos on a rack in the middle of the aisle.

Maybe stuff is trickling back in.

I ordered two rods from their site.

We shall see if they arrive before the ice does.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:48 AM »
The funny thing here is that as empty as these shelves are, the products that are most in stock are MADE IN USA.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2020, 01:54 PM »
Most manufacturers had to shut down for covid. Production is way way behind from what I understand. I “bought” a new saltwater set up in late June. Shimano is back ordered beyond belief, and I’m still waiting. Sounds like I will be able to use the set up next year at this point.

Meantime since covid I bought 2 Shimano stradics and 2 Shimano tranx and a saragosa...all this years models.

Roccus

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2020, 01:56 PM »
there is something to be said for close to six decades of fishing/collecting .. you don't run out of ANYTHING...

this plandemic has forced me to find stuff I didn't even know I had!

I've got enough of everything to last me a long time.. including boat parts...

Hopefully the good old US of A learns a valuable lesson.. DONT SEND YOU BUISNESS TO ANOTHER COUNTRY... manufacture here.

zwiggles

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2020, 02:11 PM »
Meantime since covid I bought 2 Shimano stradics and 2 Shimano tranx and a saragosa...all this years models.

Lucky man, I’m waiting on a stradic as we speak.

Jethro

« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2020, 02:30 PM »
I have been to BPS twice in two weeks.

While I did not find what I was looking for I did see a few items the second time that were not there the first.

I am pretty sure I saw a few medium heavy salt water rod and reel combos on a rack in the middle of the aisle.

Maybe stuff is trickling back in.

I ordered two rods from their site.

We shall see if they arrive before the ice does.

I'll have to hit BPS and try again!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.