FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hooked an unwanted critter yesterday  (Read 4886 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hooked an unwanted critter yesterday
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2020, 05:48 AM »
And not with a rod but with an anchor.......

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2020, 07:19 AM »
i was fishing along the edge of grass and pads yesterday on one of my favorite lakes near Hillsboro yesterday..

I was in my kayak throwing a light carolina rig with a baby brush hog. I had already picked up some average sized largies when I got clobbered by a big eastern water snake. The snake was in and out of the weeds and thrashing on the surface allot. I didn't want him near me since my kayak is very low to the water line and i didn't want him as a passenger. My kayak is peddle drive so i kept my distance until he finally came un hooked.

It was a nasty experience to say the least. They are not poisonous but not something you want on your kayak.

If you don't know what they are, look them up on you tube

Yikes,
John

One of our most common snake species. Non-poisonous yes, but fiercely territorial and aggressive nest defenders. Musta raised the pulse a bit! I owned a very big, 12 foot ball python when I was in high school.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2020, 07:20 AM »
And not with a rod but with an anchor.......

It's a Yamaha, it IS an anchor!

Roccus

« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2020, 08:26 AM »
i was fishing along the edge of grass and pads yesterday on one of my favorite lakes near Hillsboro yesterday..

I was in my kayak throwing a light carolina rig with a baby brush hog. I had already picked up some average sized largies when I got clobbered by a big eastern water snake. The snake was in and out of the weeds and thrashing on the surface allot. I didn't want him near me since my kayak is very low to the water line and i didn't want him as a passenger. My kayak is peddle drive so i kept my distance until he finally came un hooked.

It was a nasty experience to say the least. They are not poisonous but not something you want on your kayak.

If you don't know what they are, look them up on you tube

Yikes,
John

Makes my skin crawl.. my deepest emotional scars involve snakes  :'(...I'd rather face a gut shot black bear than a garter snake. :laugh:. glad you came out unscathed.. snakes are big reason I turned to the brine. ;D

mowbizz

« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Makes my skin crawl.. my deepest emotional scars involve snakes  :'(...I'd rather face a gut shot black bear than a garter snake. :laugh:. glad you came out unscathed.. snakes are big reason I turned to the brine. ;D

Lol...one time when my daughters were little, I figured I’d show them a garter snake that was in the back yard. I picked up the snake and let them touch the skin and they thought it was cool! They asked if it would bite and I said not really, whereupon I put my finger near the snakes mouth...sure enough, the snake took hold like he wanted to swallow me finger first! I laughed but pulling that little bastard off my finger with its angled back teeth hurt like hell!  ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2020, 06:26 AM »
 Sorry , Omg lmao
 Once froggin in an old beaver pond going around a dead tree I placed my hand inches from a snake soaking up sun , think I dropped a few pellets 😜
 I have a pair of garter snakes living in the garden

Johnnh

« Reply #21 on: Aug 14, 2020, 08:53 AM »
As i mentioned earlier, i dont have a fear of snakes but like many people, i don't care for the occasional surprise
Heres one for you:
Some years ago, i was tearing up the tile on my kitchen floor. I had tools scattered around along with multiple extension cords. My wife had gone shopping and i left the outside kitchen door open since it was a nice day. I was on my knees prying up tile when my wife came home and walked through the open door. She stopped in her tracks and let go with a hollywood scream. I asked what that was for and she pointed to a large snake that must have also come in through the open door and was now coiled up about 4 feet from me on top of the extension cords. It was a good sized milk snake at around 3 foot long. They are not poisonous. I put on my work gloves, picked up the snake and brought him out into the woods about 200 feet behind my house and let him go. They are ok to have around since they eat rodents, etc.
So much for another snake story.

Roccus

« Reply #22 on: Aug 14, 2020, 12:05 PM »
As i mentioned earlier, i dont have a fear of snakes but like many people, i don't care for the occasional surprise
Heres one for you:
Some years ago, i was tearing up the tile on my kitchen floor. I had tools scattered around along with multiple extension cords. My wife had gone shopping and i left the outside kitchen door open since it was a nice day. I was on my knees prying up tile when my wife came home and walked through the open door. She stopped in her tracks and let go with a hollywood scream. I asked what that was for and she pointed to a large snake that must have also come in through the open door and was now coiled up about 4 feet from me on top of the extension cords. It was a good sized milk snake at around 3 foot long. They are not poisonous. I put on my work gloves, picked up the snake and brought him out into the woods about 200 feet behind my house and let him go. They are ok to have around since they eat rodents, etc.
So much for another snake story.

I would have screamed louder than her!

When I was in high school, there was a lake near our house that I fished nightly for large mouth bass,connected to it was a swamp that had a ton of big stumps where someone had logged it before the dam was made, in the spring monster ( I caught 2 over 8 and one 9 lb as well as a 7lb pickerel) bass would go in there to eat the blue gills on their spawning beds.. one evening I was wading tossing 9" jelly worms at the  openings in the pads, just as I made a cast, a monster water snake slid off of one of the stumps and headed my way... ever try to run, in waders with water up to your arm pits and mud knee deep.. it dont work well.. long story short, other than peeing my pants and doing an awkward version of the dog paddle with waders on.. nothing much happened... I never fished the swamp again, except by canoe

natahka72

« Reply #23 on: Aug 14, 2020, 12:14 PM »
😂😂😂

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 14, 2020, 12:19 PM »
My dad worked at Boston University for the B&G dept. (buildings and grounds)
He told stories of people from the biology/zoology labs taking some of their snakes down to the building basements and letting run free for long weekends.
They told him that it was a cheap way to feed the snakes and rid the buildings of rodents while the students were away.

I always wondered how they got the snakes back after the weekend was over???
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #25 on: Aug 15, 2020, 07:40 AM »
Funny thread guys.... I caught a 3+ foot snake on Pratt pond in Mason when I was in high school, no clue what it was other than black and angry. I snipped the line when it was a few feet from the canoe. Also hooked a huge snapping turtle by its shell with a spinner bait out on powdermill, biggest turtle I've ever seen in the flesh. The bait fell off once he was swam by the boat and was going the other direction. Unlike Raquettdacker I didn't have the stones to tussle with that fella lol...

filetandrelease

« Reply #26 on: Aug 15, 2020, 10:19 AM »

Once when I was mating on a charter I tossed out a stick bait GD bird snatch it as it touched the water , clients thought it was a hoot , I did get a huge tip though 😃
Seagulls are so much fun 🙄

mudchuck

« Reply #27 on: Aug 19, 2020, 10:12 AM »

I grew up being afraid of snakes since I got bit on the ankle by a black snake while messing around in the woods as a kid. And the water moccasins were scarce but still needed to watch for those aggressive SOB's, mom got bit by one once back then and luckily we got her to the hospital quickly!
Copperheads in the woods too, so always head on a swivel while heading into the forest. Had a 4' on a padsite being prepped for construction once that met it's demise with a shovel.
Had a job site that was infested with snakes in Maryland back in the day. Renovating a large mansion that was left unoccupied for several years.
Main part of the building had a full basement the previous owner had built partition walls in and covered them with bamboo from the floor to ceiling.
Rest of the mansion was additions over the years that had crawlspaces access thru the main building basement.
To put this in perspective, one addition was 100'x32', and the entire building had 14 bedrooms, 10 bathroom & 3 kitchens! 8,700SF on 600 acres.
Anyhow, the crew that came to renovate had no idea the building was infested with snakes, and the french drain around the perimeter allowed them entry and they were feeding heavily on mice.
When it came time to go down into the basement & crawlspaces, the abatement crew was in during the winter when snakes & critters were dormant/hibernating so they were not affected. But the electricians, carpenters & myself were in for a rude awakening!
Sparky was the first to discover black snakes in one of the crawlspaces very early spring as things were just starting to warm up.
I go thru the basement with no idea there's a mess waiting in any of the crawlspaces, I get up in where sparky is and start to do my work and he's like: hey! you see that?! me: what? he shines his flashlight over behind my head about 3' away...THAT!!! lo & behold, a ball of black snakes about a dozen of them all between 12 & 24" long coming out of hibernation!
Well now, I hit my head on several floor joists making my exit from that crawlspace!
Now I'm totally woke up to the fact of the infestation, as are several other workers.
Fast forward a week and the crew hired to demo the basement partition walls & bamboo refuses to go into the basement since they spotted snakes.
Me & my helper, said ***censored****, we cannot do our work without that all being removed, so I says to the project super...tell ya what...me & my helper have the most work to do down there and we are not going to hold out for anyone getting that crap demo'd, so we will take it upon ourselves to demo on behalf of your sissy crew that won't go down there...it'll cost ya some beer  and hunting privileges for the entire property for life and a boat ride for some stripers later...my warning: we will be armed and if it moves it'll get shot! All the demo will be thrown up the stairs for your guys to pull out and load the dumpsters.
They agreed to my terms and we went down with crowbars & prybars, 38 & 357 strapped to our sides respectively and both loaded with rat shot.
We proceeded to demo the basement of all the framing & bamboo & 3 days later that was done, along the way killing 63 black snakes ranging between 12" & longest 6'3" and 1 copper head!
Once we made the basement clear, we proceeded to the crawlspaces and shot up another 40+ black snakes.
Throwing snakes up the stairs was a real charm and I really wish we had internet & FB back then as the terrified look on those guys faces when we threw snakes up at them was priceless!
There were times when we'd rip out a section of partition wall and a snake would fall out and lunge that made for some pucker moments.
So happy we didn't encounter more copperheads too!!!

Fast forward a few years later, I'd left the company I was working for at that time & this owner became my top client. I knew better than to solicit to him, yet He sought me out after I went in business for myself & requested me to service his property exclusively...must've made an impression, eh?!
Lots of deer & so many, many buckets full of soft shell crabs later and memories for a lifetime!

Digs

« Reply #28 on: Aug 20, 2020, 04:23 PM »
I can't keep my kid away from them......

mowbizz

« Reply #29 on: Aug 20, 2020, 04:49 PM »
I can't keep my kid away from them......

Atta boy! No need to fear them...handled correctly, they are child’s play!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.