FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rookie trolling questions  (Read 3363 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Rookie trolling questions
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Curious, what's the purpose of a keel weight when using a rigger, if you're not romancing the bottom?

Eliminate line twist typically.
But they make plastic and thin stainless steel keels that do the job without adding extra weight.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2020, 07:32 PM »
Eliminate line twist typically.
But they make plastic and thin stainless steel keels that do the job without adding extra weight.
I get what the keel is designed to do, Mac.
With the high quality swivels available today, I never experienced line twist. In the spring, I'd oftentimes run long lines behind riggers when the fish are up high. Still no line twist with a good swivel 6-8' behind the lure. After fish go down 20' or so, I'd usually run my lures pretty tight to the blades.
Way back in the day, I'd only use keel weights to get mono down if I used them at all.     

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2020, 07:57 AM »
With the high quality swivels available today, I never experienced line twist. In the spring, I'd oftentimes run long lines behind riggers when the fish are up high. Still no line twist with a good swivel 6-8' behind the lure. After fish go down 20' or so, I'd usually run my lures pretty tight to the blades.
Way back in the day, I'd only use keel weights to get mono down if I used them at all.     

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but whenever I troll a big spinner like a big Mepps (which isn't often) I'll get line twist no matter what swivel I'm using. I only buy the best ball bearing swivels I can find but I still get line twist. Probably trolling them too fast. Anyway, the keel weights really eliminate any line twist. I have some of the stainless flat keels, but I guess the bead chain keel weights are a habit I should get away from.

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2020, 07:58 AM »

Yea, same here.
But I still use them on spoons or meat harnesses with large blades.

Also, I think they are also an attractant.

Just me.

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2020, 08:00 AM »
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but whenever I troll a big spinner like a big Mepps (which isn't often) I'll get line twist no matter what swivel I'm using. I only buy the best ball bearing swivels I can find but I still get line twist. Probably trolling them too fast. Anyway, the keel weights really eliminate any line twist. I have some of the stainless flat keels, but I guess the bead chain keel weights are a habit I should get away from.

Forgot large spinners.
Thanks for the reminder Geoff.
I really don't troll these anymore, but they will cause major line twist.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #20 on: Aug 28, 2020, 02:32 PM »
Forgot large spinners.
Thanks for the reminder Geoff.
I really don't troll these anymore, but they will cause major line twist.
Agree on big spinners and excessive speed.
I never used big spinners here in NH. The only times I'd ever troll over 3 mph, SOG, is pulling naked flies and not often doing that.
Our NH freshwater fish don't have big tails and don't typically travel as fast as those on the great lakes. Our typical size spoons don't troll well at speeds much over 2.4 SOG.

Jack1972

« Reply #21 on: Aug 28, 2020, 03:15 PM »
I have yet to run into a fish that made me wish I bought the expensive rods and reels. Cheap starfire rods and the plums depth counters have served me well.

This statement sadly holds very true for me on Merrymeeting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.