FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sharpening Rapala electric knife blades  (Read 1767 times)

Doubles Shooter

Sharpening Rapala electric knife blades
« on: Jul 20, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Has anyone found a reliable way to put an edge in them? I probably have 6 or 7 sets kicking around and I'm too cheap to toss them. Thanks.

Mac Attack

Re: Sharpening Rapala electric knife blades
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2019, 09:12 AM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2019, 11:51 AM »
I give mine a few swipes, on the ground side only, in both directions, on a diamond kitchen steel. Works
Ike a charm.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Mac, Thanks for the video. Unfortunately Mama won't go for that as much as I want it. It is a fallback plan though.
RG's idea sounds good. I just happen to have a diamond steel in the kitchen. I'll try when I go home from camp.
I also need to catch something to clean.

Roccus

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:14 AM »
I give mine a few swipes, on the ground side only, in both directions, on a diamond kitchen steel. Works
Ike a charm.

Rg

this is what I do..I have one that is oval, made by Dexter, it works a little better IHHO that the round steel... both give satisfactory results,

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Sometimes it's not actually the sharpness of the edge but the gap between the two blades has opened up over time. I peened the retaining rivet back down a tick and they worked better. Just don't pinch them. If you're getting scales between the blades is a good indication of rivet slop.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2019, 07:34 AM »
I got to finally use my new Rapala HD electric knife last night. I had a new unused set of 6" blades from my old knife
I wanted to use them for the ribs. However they don't lock in. They are identical except for a hole in the new blades.

You can't use the old blades with the HD motor. Thumbs down on that. Other than that, I'm liking the extra power so far.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2019, 08:53 AM »
I got to finally use my new Rapala HD electric knife last night. I had a new unused set of 6" blades from my old knife
I wanted to use them for the ribs. However they don't lock in. They are identical except for a hole in the new blades.

You can't use the old blades with the HD motor. Thumbs down on that. Other than that, I'm liking the extra power so far.

The blades are hardened steel and the hole appears to actually be egg-shaed, not round.
So drilling yourself might be tough.
Dremel??

Take them to a small local machine shop.
I'm sure they could help you for a small reasonable price.
Doesn't cost a dime to at least ask.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.