FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tackle storage for different disciplines  (Read 2561 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Tackle storage for different disciplines
« on: Jul 29, 2019, 09:05 AM »
I'm sure over the years here there have been threads on this, I may have even started one previously, but it is a continually changing situation.

Compared to most of you guys I am an infant in the world of fishing. I have basically focused my last 15 years in fishing in three disciplines, ice fishing for warmwater species, bass fishing and coldwater trolling. I have not fly fished and my experience on the salt is extremely limited. This past year I have been trying to teach myself the salt and it's been humiliating but interesting. My question for you guys that fish all different disciplines is how do you deal with your gear bags/tackle boxes? Do you have a separate tackle box for each kind of excursion? I'm asking because it seems in a single week I can fish for warmwater species one night, troll for trout and salmon the next, then on the weekend spend a day on the salt. Each night prior it seems I need to spend an hour to build my tackle box for the day coming. Do you have a set of clippers and pliers and fish grippers in each different tackle box? Or do you have one gigantic tackle box for everything that goes on every trip? Maybe one bag that has the common essentials like pliers and nippers, then a separate tackle box geared for the specific mission?

Trying to make life easier and maybe I am a bit anal in my organization but very interested to see how you guys handle the crazy amount of gear.

Johnnh

Re: Tackle storage for different disciplines
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Jethro

You have presented a real challenge.

As I mentioned in the past, I was very involved in Bass tournament fishing and I have enough bass tackle to open a store. In addition, I have fished trout, salmon, like and walleye on lake Ontario for years. I also fish trout in ponds and lakes here in New Hampshire. Then add fly fishing, surf fishing, deep sea, etc.

I can relate to your question.
In most of my fresh water local fishing, I use my 12 foot kayak. I have put together a Plano box with surface, diving and jerk baits that are my high confidence lures. I also have a Plano box with jig heads, spinner baits, spoons, sinkers, swivels, etc.. my last Plano box is hooks.  I have a bag full of primary senkos, worms, grubs, etc. I normally bring 2 or maybe 3 rods.

I have duplicated this in smaller configurations for fly, salt and surf

My so called warehouse is in my tackle room and I store hard baits in 3 of those large plano tackle chests that store about 300 lures each.. I have about 250 bags of plastics and about 40 rods and reels.

I feel you pain, but down sizing what you bring is challenging and forces us to adjust.

John

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Awesome idea on this thread Geoff.
Especially with the corrosiveness of saltwater.

I do have a small saltwater bag for when I go to Florida.

I’m going to follow this thread.
Thanks
Mac

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Surf bags, fly fishing bags, giant tackle bag for the boat.  Boxes for ice fishing.  I keep all of it separated by discipline.

JDK

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Milk crates for my muskie lures.

Soft sided tackle bag(s) for coldwater trolling.  The one I have now is large enough for the different species I fish for (salmon/trout and togue).

A cheap ammo box with foam for my icefishing lures as it rides in a jet sled and gets thrown around.

# SAND

Jethro

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Awesome idea on this thread Geoff.
Especially with the corrosiveness of saltwater.

I do have a small saltwater bag for when I go to Florida.

I’m going to follow this thread.
Thanks
Mac

Yeah it was all manageable before I got interested in fishing saltwater. I could sort of combine all the freshwater stuff in a big tackle box and the trolling specific gear could stay on the boat since I'm only doing that on the big boat. But now I have all this saltwater gear starting to accumulate and it's getting to be a hour long ordeal just packing a bag for whatever I am fishing for the next day.

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2019, 10:49 AM »
I’m in a similar boat jethro... no pun intended. Getting into saltwater more now, and I can’t keep everything organized now. Too many trips this year without one thing or another.

I’m trending towards a dedicated salt bag, and a universal bag with bug spray, TP, pliers, and the items I’d use each trip, and then specific bags for trolling, fly fishing, and warm water species. The 1 grab bag with universal items is becoming a problem though. Lost a nail know tool, and a small fly box in one of my other bags I think...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Extremely disciplined here when it comes to any of my hobbies. People always tell me I am lucky as hell when it comes to fishing and hunting but truth be told, its preparation that equals opportunity which in the end equals success for me. I am a firm believer in that. Keeping my work area clean and organized lets me get to a certain tools as soon as I need it because I know where it is. When I say work area I mean my boat, kayak or even fishing vest. And when I say tool I mean a lure, net, rig, bag, pliers etc. etc. You cant catch fish by looking at the water, your line needs to be wet. So ultimately to answer your question, I have a set of everything I would need for all of my fishing so I do not have to swap things around and then misplace something. Because there may be just that ONE time that I need something and I don't have it and its no ones fault but mine. It can become expensive for sure but if you love it as much as I do you will find a way to have it.

Like Johnnh I too have enough tackle to open up a sports shop (like many of us on here do). A lot goes into being a successful bass tourney angler. A lot goes into being a successful fly fisherman. A lot goes into being a successful striped bass fisherman. A lot goes into being a successful fluke fisherman. Keep it separate if your pocket allows you and you wont regret it. If you short on change just go out there and do the best you can with what you have and simply enjoy the sport that keeps us all going and our heads straight.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.
Wicked Wec

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2019, 11:36 AM »
I have a different bag for bass, spring trout, ice fishing and a big summer bag that has a bit of everything in it. Each one has its own set of line clippers, jig eye buster and pliers. Bass bag has its own rubber worms and have a rubber worm bag that gets transferred between the rest. I found that it's much easier to grab a bag for what I'm fishing for and go, that way I don't forget something and am much more organized.

PikeKing23

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2019, 12:26 PM »
I have a bag with all of the essentials I would need for most trips.  Pliers, knife, tape measure, scale, rag, bobbers, bells, etc.  I then have 2 med sized plano tackle boxes in there at all times: one with different sized hooks/swivels and one with different sized weights.  This will get me through most of what I fish for.  I then have more separate tackle boxes just like the ones in there that are geared towards a specific fish. 
I simply add or remove a box based on what I'm fishing for that day.  All of the normal stuff is always there, but I grab the carp box if going for carp or the pike box for pike, etc.  That being said, I fish mostly bait.  I also have another larger plano storage box with lures.  Once you start bringing lures, it's a whole other ball game, lol.

appleye

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2019, 12:48 PM »
I'm in the same situation as most. Fish walleye and tournaments most of the time. I fish for king salmon and kokanee off and on most years and at least one trip to the salt every year and ice fish all the time in winter. I live in Wyoming. What I've started to do is run large totes with labels, example crank baits, spinner rigs, jigs, Salmon stuff, salt water stuff and so on. Most is stored in the garage on a shelf so when planning a  trip I can drop items in the tote, like crank baits for salmon, or northerns. All the down rigger stuff in in one place. Been doing this for several years now and am please with the results. There are a few items that cross over all the time, hook outs, swivels, boga grips and most stay in the boat unless going to the coast where I fish from piers. The smaller "all the time stuff" goes in a storage bag that is placed on top of the tote so I know it's packed when getting ready. Items are then placed in the boat for a tournament or trip a day or so ahead of time. Lots of times I load a bunch on totes in the bed of the truck for a tournament to be placed in the boat as needed.

Great forum post by the way!

rivereddy

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2019, 04:51 PM »
OK here goes.  All salt in its own bucket. All ice fishing in its own bucket. Fly stuff has its own vest and bag. A 5x6x9 bag for travel. It contains pony spools of 4,6,8,10# test. a 3600 series box for plastics, one for hard baits, and one smaller for hooks etc.  It contains a constantly evolving rotation of confidence baits.  A small over shoulder bag for wading streams and for the canoe.  A hip pocket box for emergency runs over to the local river.  A very small bag for my kayak.  I also have a buddy with a big Ranger bass boat and I have a large tackle bag for trips with him.  Only one pole in the kayak.  2 or 3 in the canoe and my boat.  When I'm in my buddy's Ranger, the dang thing looks like a porcupine...Each carrier  has a nipper and a hemostat on a lanyard or retractable spool depending on the situation.  In my boat I have a water tight box with a spare prop and appropriate tools and a water tight dry bag w/ a change of clothes. Most are fairly static however the travel, canoe/kayak bags are a continual work in progress.With the exception of my "Ranger Bag" ,(which looks like an aisle at Cabelas with a a couple of kitchen sinks thrown in. Each has one or two of more or less the same lures.

This is a great thread.....

fish on,

rivereddy

Jethro

« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2019, 08:47 AM »
I knew I wouldn't be alone in the challenge of all this gear and how to manage it. Last night I started building a separate bag for the "cross over" items like Boga grip, pliers, hemostats, scissors and line nippers, scales, binoculars, batteries and headlamp/flashlight, leatherman, recharge kit for my auto PFD... just trying to find the right size bag might be a challenge. I can see that might be the best way to manage this problem, different tackle boxes for each discipline and one separate, smaller bag that has the "cross overs." I am constantly in an effort to simplify my setup, but I also am a gear nut and a fairly good boy scout so I can't go without my nick knacks. I guess I need to abandon the idea of one tacklebox to rule them all.

PikeKing23

« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2019, 01:20 PM »
I tried one box for all, but can only bring it on my boat because it is too heavy.  It's actually kind of stupid, all the stuff I had in there and never used.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Someone introduced me to albies. 1 week later and 1K later I had a new rod and reel, braid, leader, and more epoxy jigs than albies in the ocean. Do what you love.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.