FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What kind of fish is this?????  (Read 14846 times)

StarCraft

Re: What kind of fish is this?????
« Reply #30 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:33 PM »
LLS all the way

sst4life

« Reply #31 on: Oct 17, 2007, 06:03 PM »
It is a Rainbow !!!!!!   J/K

Why do people fish in spots that is closed for certain breeds of fish when they cant Identify the fish that shouldnt be brought through the Ice.  That is a LLS no if and or butts about it. 
I play with my rod TWO HANDED !!!!!

trapper2003

« Reply #32 on: Oct 18, 2007, 10:33 AM »
i fish the finger lakes and lake ontario ,to me it looks like a brown trout trouble is it's hard to tell from a photo ,i still think brown i could be wrong but your comparing lake pictures of browns that looks like a post spawn winter brown to me

trapper2003

« Reply #33 on: Oct 18, 2007, 10:47 AM »
wow i just went threw hundreds of pictures of alantics and browns ,this is what i learned about both fish there are many color,spot and tail varations in both fish.this is what the state of new jersy says to id a fish....The caudal fin (tail) of a salmon is forked and a brown trout’s tail is square (unforked). The upper jaw (maxillary) of a salmon does not extend beyond the rear edge of the eye while a brown trout’s maxillary generally extends well past the rear edge. A salmon may also (but not always) have "X" shaped markings along the back

Home Wood

« Reply #34 on: Oct 18, 2007, 05:30 PM »
It is a Rainbow !!!!!!   J/K

Why do people fish in spots that is closed for certain breeds of fish when they cant Identify the fish that shouldnt be brought through the Ice.  That is a LLS no if and or butts about it. 

Wow, great point!!  There have been different opinions here, so everybody who said anything other than LLS should not fish lakes with salmon off limits during certain times and leave the lakes for experts like yourself. You obviously know more than the NH F&G official who was stumped on this one too. So, please sir, excuse my friends and I for having a tough time with THIS fish, even though we threw back a "normal" looking LLS 20 minutes earlier. Why not post more pictures of salmon and trout to be helpful instead of condesceding? I am willing to bet that at least ONE person other than myself appreciated this thread because maybe they had the same problem or might in the future. Thanks to everyone else who posted helpful advice, opinions and pictures. This is what makes sites like this very helpful and fun to be on.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #35 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:24 AM »
There's a two page debate over on Ice Shanty on what type of fish this is.  I thought I'd put it here too for people to see who don't go on IS. So, whatcha think?  It was caught last winter on lake Winnipesaukee NH by my buddy in the pic.

That is a Sambro....a cross of Brown Trout and Salmon!!!
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

jrelaxin

« Reply #36 on: Oct 19, 2007, 03:50 PM »
That is a Sambro....a cross of Brown Trout and Salmon!!!
Had one of those on the rocks last weekend.............. ;)
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #37 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:07 PM »
MALE LANDLOCKED SALMON STILL IN SPAWNING COLORS.........defanitely not a BROWN TROUT or any other TROUT!

Fish Farmer

« Reply #38 on: Oct 20, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Here is another way to tell if you have a brown or salmon, at least I saw this on a flyer once and may or may not work depending on the size of your fish.

Atlantic or LL salmon can be easily picked up by the tail without the tail slipping through your fingers. Their tail is more rigid than a browns and the caudle peduncle(base of tail) is usually narrower. Brown trout are harder to pick up by the tail because the tail will fold and slip through your fingers, plus the base of their tail is thicker than a salmon's.

It looks like a LL salmon to me, the nose is more salmon like than a brown. I think the hook jaw of a salmon is supposed to lock into the upper jaw, while the brown's hook jaw extends past the nose.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #39 on: Oct 31, 2007, 08:05 PM »
Home Wood
Sorry it took so long but this was the only one I could dig up its a picture of a picture
This fish was caught  January 1st

Not identical to yours but see the color change or lack thereof.
The fish in my avatar is a salmon caught in the same exact spot 2 months earlier

I think the salmon you caught was just in the early  stages of starting to regain its color.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 01, 2007, 08:53 AM »
Nice Sambo Mickey!! I applaud your dedication to fly fishing with yur drive to fish in that weather!!! gOOD jOB AGAIN!  fcl

rl
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

Home Wood

« Reply #41 on: Nov 01, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Thanks Mickey. This thread has been very educational.  8)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #42 on: Nov 20, 2007, 10:34 PM »
I was sitting here looking at pictures of browns and ll salmon and if you scroll back through you will notice it also, the adipose fin on a brown will lay down on its body when some one is holding it, look thru and look at gambells pics, all his Brown trout phots the adipose fin is loose so to speak. Look at Homewoods pic and the pic I submitted (it has some snow on it) but  it appears to me a Salmon adipose fin will try and stand up. I sat here and went through a bunch of pics and it was 100 % with Brown trout laying down on the body and salmons' would stand up....
Check out the brown in Jrelaxins avatar and the salmon in my avatar also.

I thought it was interesting enough to add.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

basskiller46

• Got One!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Thats awsome it looks like a mini salmon

spartaman12

• FISH ON!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 21, 2008, 03:10 PM »
brown.... IMO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor