FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trophy Hunter's Pics  (Read 12507 times)

Trophy Hunter639

Trophy Hunter's Pics
« on: Aug 30, 2004, 12:29 AM »
Here is a couple of my pics from this summer if I can get it to work.[tr][/tr][tr][/tr]

Trophy Hunter639

Re: Trophy Hunter's Pics
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2004, 12:57 AM »

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2004, 01:17 AM »
   And one for Slipbob. ;D                

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2004, 01:43 AM »
Those are some awesome pigs, and the river looks movin too. Those are some great pictures and very nice fish. Keep the pictures comin.  :D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Reelmaster

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2004, 07:52 AM »
Heres another one. Sorry the bottom got chopped off
[img][/img]
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

Hookset

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2004, 01:09 PM »
Those are piggylicious.  Might need to bring you up here to the Hudson River and see if cat techniques can be applied to different bodies of water.  The cat bite up here has slowed a little over the past couple of weeks, but has been great to that point.  I see that you use medium minnows hooked right through the mouth.  Are you drifing or attaching lead?  Great photos and best of luck.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2004, 05:14 PM »
Thanks Hookset where exactly do you fish?About the bait I am a cut-bait man I dip-net suckers in the spring and what i do is take a serated filet knife and cut the head off then cut a 1.5-2'' steak and put it on a three-way rig like this but i use a 30-34'' lead to the hook.I use a 6/0 mustad ultra point Big Gun bait hook. I use the suckers early in the season then switch to Goldeyes or mooneyes this time of year i like to stick with them.Frogs and prawns work this time of year too but I like cut bait.

Reelmaster

« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2004, 07:07 PM »
Here you go buddy Found another one
[/img]
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2004, 01:16 AM »

I do it very similar to that way in the spring feed and fall, during the summer I get lazy and just go to a snap swivel and leave extra line after the knot for the sinkers and use a snelled hook.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2004, 10:11 AM »
Cool Camo I agree about it being a pain with a three-way with all the knots what works good for me is to use a lighter line out to my weight so it will break off in the event of a snag.It is also key to use a heavy enough weight to hold bottom so you don't drift into a snag.As far as bait I like the Go Big Or Go Home theory as even small cats can take extremely large baits.This guy took a 2'' steak off a 4lb sucker!That thing on the ground that looks like a big minnow is the skin of the sucker cleaned right off!

Hookset

« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2004, 01:08 PM »
I fish the Hudson River in the Schuylerville area, just east of Saratoga Springs.  I generally fish from my boat and cast downstream, so the bait holds the bottom rather well.  I only use about 3/4 oz sinker and a 3/0 long shank steel snelled hook.  I rely, primarily, on the tasty chicken liver to call them in.  The liver works real well, but csating is sometimes tricky, especially if you get a sloppy liver.  I am generally out from about 7 pm until midnight or so, a time or two a week.  This week was unfortunately rained out, so far anyway.  Caught my personl best two weeks ago, 34 inch channel kitty in about 8 feet of water next to a sunken island.  Your pics are great, can't wait to see more.  Best of luck.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2004, 02:02 PM »
Glad you like the pics Hookset channel cats are my favourite summer fish.All of the cats in these pics are from the Assinniboine river near my home.I was however fourtunate to meet two great guys from this site Grumpymoe and Big Walleye and we hit the mighty Red River and check out Smoking Whiskers for the pics and story.Hookset do what kind of baitfish do you have in your area?I will almost guarantee if you use fresh caught cutbait you will start nailing them again I've tried just about every bait for big cats and nothing compares to fresh cutbait around here.This is a goldeye the meal ticket right now!

camo_fish

« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2004, 11:17 PM »
That goldeye looks a little like our small shad or big herring. Now my fav. cat bait will have to go with cut herring, diffentatly catch wealthier size cats. But, have to watch the no bait areas, that has put the damper on things more than once or twice. Got to know the local warden well back then, not always a good thing.  ;D I too use lighter line to sinker off 3-way, but use mostly bigg split shot.
And man, that is one h*ll of a rod with that baitcaster. Bet you can really get that rig out there. Not messing around I see.  :D Hope the fall feed is as good as the spring was. As long as we have high moving water, should be outstanding.  ;)

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2004, 12:07 AM »
SlipBob anybody who says Al Linder for President is a friend in my books! ;D I had to show you all that I do catch other fish besides cats ;) ;D Camo that rod is a 10.6ft heavy action Abu Garcia North Star salmon rod and it is strictly a shore rod.It casts really well and can easily handle the bigguns.No messing around ;D

Deposit

« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2004, 06:49 AM »
Hey HookSet we'll have to get together some night and fish I don't live to far from there...was out last weekend, but my trolling motor ripped off my boat so I had to call in in early :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.