FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My 2012 Open Water Season.  (Read 11982 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
My 2012 Open Water Season.
« on: May 08, 2012, 06:26 PM »
Hi guy,

Here is my fishing repot for opening day in SK.'s South fishing zone {May 5th}.

I considered myself lucky to be able to get out as it had been raining all week long in my area and this was the first day that the rain had let up, but yet it was still a mostly cloudy day.
The lake was ice free and had cool SE wind blowing across it creating some waves, but yet the water looked quite clear.

I decided to try some shore fishing at the same lake where I fished most of the winter and see if anything would bite.

I started my afternoon fishing at 4:10 pm and quite at 6:00pm.

The action started 10 min into the fishing and I hook my first fish of the new open water season a slightly beat up 2 lb pike. :)

Half an hour later I hook into another pike, just as I am about to net the fish it jumps and throws the barbless lure.

The action then stops to about 5:30 pm when another pike hits.

This one is the same size as the other.

Five min before I pack up I get a tap and set the hook this fish had alot more power than the 2 previous pike and starts to pull a bit of drag. I get the line back and it takes off again.
It feels like a nice walleye, and I am convinced it is when a see a dark gold fish go by. When I go to net it I get a surprise, it's not a nice walleye but  a good sized white sucker, wow, those guys are sure strong. 
I feel just as happy to hook this guy as any other fish as this is only the 3rd white sucker I have ever caught. The others were not this big. This one was 21"long x 10" thick, and would have been around the 3.6 - 4 lb range. 

Now I am not sure if this is a large white sucker but I do know for sure that it my new personal best for this species. 8)

What a face eh? ;D

The pike went for a double tail grub and jig and the sucker a mr. twister exude grub and jig.

All the fish went back to fight another day.

In the end I was happy with the results from the first day of the new open water season here in SK.
I am not sure if the Super Moon this weekend helped or not, but it didn't hurt the results either.

I hope everyone else also had a good weekend. ;)

WW

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: My 2012 Open Water Season.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:40 AM »
Nice start to the season..... :thumbup_smilie: :clapping:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

waterwolf603

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 07:21 AM »
I was wondering when you were going to start your reports, now I know why the season just opened up there for you. Seems like you had a great first outting and hopefully many many more. I look forward to your reports so keep em coming.
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

Water Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Thanks Raquettedacker & waterwolf603.  :)

I am glad you guys are enjoying the reports, and yeah I will keep them coming.

Here in SK. our stocked trout lakes are now open year round, but this April the ice was not safe enough in my area to ice fish, but yet thick enough to
prevent open water fishing so, I just waited for the all the other fish species to open, we usually have open water by then and this year was no exception.

I hope everyone also has a good open water season this year. ;D

WW

joshjj2010

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:52 AM »
I beleave thats what they call a fall fish. Catch them all the time at the salmon river

fishbone

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 03:19 PM »
no not a fallfish---it is a sucker

fishbone

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:22 PM »
your right though salmon river is full of fallfish--some of the bigger fallfish ive seen in ny were in west canada creek and also the kunjamuck creek--both places ive seen them bigger than 21 inches--ive seen suckers bigger than 24 inch

backwoodswalker

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:14 AM »
We call them a whitehorse sucker around here. Some are reddish on belly, We call them a redhorse sucker. Good eating pickled or smoked. We used to get them while smelt dipping in the spring, Guys would put a lit cigarette in their mouth and they will smoke it. Puff the smoke out there gills. Pretty funny to see.   Steve

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 10:21 AM »
Haha thats gross! Good fish tho, Iv never eaten them before and now i'm curious! How do u pickle them?

Water Wolf

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:26 PM »
Thanks guys. :)

This guy I caught is indeed a white sucker we don't have fallfish here in SK.

I have read that the whitehorse sucker is another name for white sucker, same fish, different name. ;)

That would be quite funny to see one of them puffing on a cigarette, that fish would be partly smoked already,lol. :w00t:

I have heard of a few folks around here eating suckers, most of them can the fish first to soften all the bones in the meat.
They then add a bit of tomato ketchup while canning and they say you can't tell it from canned salmon.
I am not sure what it's like as I have never tried it myself, but it does sound good.

Here is another report from this past long weekend.

Hi all,

Here is my Report for Victoria Day {May.21st}.

I started fishing in the afternoon and fished from 2:00pm to 4:00pm at my usual spot on my usual lake.

The weather was a mix of sun and cloud with a bit of a breeze from the SE.

Although there was some wind the water was still quite clear.

Fishing was not bad and I have my first strike 10 -12 min into the day.
It's a beat up looking pike. :)

This fish had quite a few nicks and scratches all over it's body, must have been a
rough spawn. ::)

The next fish throws the lure just at my feet. :P

The 3rd pike is netted and is also a bit beat up.

Pike #4 gets off just as I touch it with the net, but pike #5 is not so lucky and is landed.

The fish range in size from just over 1.5 - 2 lbs and are released just after the photo.

On this day the fish only want char truce yellow or green yellow lures, and a double tale grub and sassy shad get the hits.

All in all it's not a bad bit of fishing for the time I had and I look forward to the next time out. 8)

WW

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Nice pics and reports WW.  Thanks for sharing.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 06:17 AM »
Way to go WW...  Looking forward to the next group of pictures....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Water Wolf

« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2012, 12:24 AM »
Thanks Fat Boy & Raquettedacker. 8)

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I have been fishing but the family and I went to Fishing Lake for a few hours 2 days this week.

Day 1. June 19th.

We decided to use the boat.  Some of the family opted not to fish.  My uncle and I did and were on the water by 5:10 pm and going until 9:00pm.

During that time the weather was mostly cloudy with a bit of a wind and some waves from the S. Toward sunset it calmed right down.

Water clarity is still quite good, with the odd bit of brownish orange algae floating with the waves.

The fish must have been in preparation for the upcoming storm, for after only 8 min of trolling and we were into fish.

This is the first fish and biggest walleye of the day, caught by my uncle.

It was a bit over3 lbs.

Once we found them we just anchored in that spot and that's where we spent most of the time and found most of the fish.

The fish were biting fairly steady.  My uncle and I got a double header on walleye.

This was an average walleye that day.

There were no other boats on the lake, but, one cabin had quite a few guests and they were all out fishing off shore and also landing fish, so the fish seemed to be eager.

Before we were on the lake we chatted with a cabin owner in the area.  He said the fishing has been not bad there for a while and as well at the other lakes in the area.
I also heard that there was a nice 6 lb walleye landed and released a week and a half ago right off shore.

Once we got on the water my uncle caught his largest walleye on a medium Len Thompson spoon, but later lost it on a snag. He then caught his other fish on a double tail grub.  I had the best luck on a jig head that I painted myself and did some modification to. I added a clear lip to the jig head which gave the single tale grub I was using a nice tight wiggle that the fish seemed to like. 
I also made a few custom crankbaits that I will try sometime this open water season.

In the end we caught 8 pike & 10 walleye .
We also lost 5 more fish that threw the barbless hooks on us as we got them close to the boat or tried to net them.

We kept 4 pike and 4 walleye.  They will be a good meal in the next day or so.

The big pike of the day was mine, it's in the middle and my uncles big walleye is on the bottom.

We packed up and were off the lake just as it began to pour rain.

Day 2. June 21st {Summer solstice and first day of summer}

We again returned to the same lake to try our luck.

On the way to the lake we stopped to look at a new whitetail faun and it mom.
This little guy appeared less than an hour old and unable to stand. Mom melted into the trees as I approached, and the fawn crouched down.
I got to about 5 feet and snapped this photo.

Do you see me?

I could probably have touched it, but I didn't want my scent on it in case she abandon her baby. I also didn't want to be a subject in the next When Animals Attack video with the mom deer. :P

Once we got to the lake the plan was to use the boat again, but, just when you think you have it all figured out, mother nature changes the plans for you, and, we were greeted with strong NW winds and white caps.  Not good boating weather, despite the warm temps and sunny skies. :-\

The family and I had a lunch together and I waited until 4:20pm with no signs of it letting up so I decided I would try some shore fishing. Casting was a bit tricky in the strong wind and the lures would not go where I intended, but, despite that, the fish were still around in the murky stirred up waters. I tried one spot for 5 min but kept getting hung up so moved to a new spot a bit down the shore and on my first cast had a little pike on but lost it just as it jumped near the net.   A short time later I get another solid hook up and land the first walleye of the day.
This one was at the 3. 5 lb mark.

The next fish was a pike at 4 lbs.

After seeing those 2 fish my uncle joined me and we fished the rest of the afternoon together. Catching fish off and on.

Around 7:30pm the winds finally let up and the lake calmed to just gentle waves.  That's when the fish began to feed harder and we were catching them a bit more frequently.

My uncle quit at sunset but I went another 15 min and caught one more fish before leaving.

In the end we had good shore fishing results with myself catching 3 pike & 8 walleye and my uncle 3 pike and 2 walleye with 3 fish getting off on us.

On this day all the fish went back.

There were a few shore anglers further down the shoreline and they were also catching a few fish.

My uncle caught all his fish on a smaller Len Thompson spoon, and I caught mine on a Pelican Lures spoon and on a Storm wildeye swimshad.

All in all it I feel it was a really good 2 days of fishing and I am looking forward to the next trip out. ;D

WW

waterwolf603

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2012, 10:13 AM »
that is a great couple of trips, it is always a pain when the winds do not coorporate, good job on the catching
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Great update and pictures... Seems like you have a real good spot there..   Just one question...  Why does it you are running uo to the board walk to get your picture taken?    ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.