FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kodiak Commando's A.K. adventures, check for updates.( big male coho)  (Read 7524 times)

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
My favorite topic on this forum is TFB's trout of fame and now that big red is doing something similar i dedided it would be fun to have a chronicle of my fishing year. It may start out slow (At least compared to TFB and big reds topics) but once the summer turns around expect lots of updates, probably at least every 2 days. My goal for this topic is to get a trophy fish posted for a dolly, halibut, rainbow, steelhead and all 5 species of salmon.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

TroutFishingBear

Re: Kodiak Commando's A.K. adventures, check for updates.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2005, 09:19 PM »
I personally can't wait for this. I know your fishing smokes mine...my updates will be very slow until early july, except for the occasional big bluegill I will post. When the rivers turn muddy here, I really don't have anywhere else to go that produces consistently. Can't wait to see a 15 pounder! Good luck.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2005, 06:26 PM »
Here are some pics from a recent trip. I am fishing a lake that has only a mile of shoreline but has lots of 4 to 6 pounders with a few 8 pounders. I'ts defentetely not as good for big bows as the big alaskan rivers but hardly anyone fishes it, probably just me and my friends. I didn't catch any monsters but it's the first good kodiak open water bow fishing i had in a while. I caught 8 total including a 21 inch 3 pounder that i realeased. Since i was alone i couldn't take any pics of fish i released without hurting them but next time i should be with someone else.

A nice 14 inch bow caught on a thunder creek fly.

Another nice 14 incher

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2005, 08:00 PM »
Looks like pretty country! Those trout are good eating size ones. Thanks for sharing.

gillmaniac

• I Don't Go Fishing, I Go Catching!!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2005, 08:05 PM »
nice!!

gill
I am a maniac for gills!!!!

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2005, 09:53 PM »
This was the first time i have fished saltwater since september and i was fishing for dollies on a beach within city limits about a 5 minute drive from my houst. I caught 10 dollies in the hour leading up to high tide.

The beach i was fishing

A dolly in action

A nice 16 inch hen dolly varden

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2005, 10:51 PM »
Wow sweet Dolly.   You ever keep any to eat?   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

Hood

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Dollies! I used to catch them on a real old computer game for a real old Mac computer, dont remember the name of the game but there was some great dolly fishing! Nice catch, WTG!!  :thumbup_smilie:
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2005, 11:41 PM »
I rarely keep any dollies on purpose. Sometimes i will guthook some and have to keep one. They don't taste bad by any means but i just don't keep them that often.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2005, 01:07 AM »
They can be such a nice looking fish that they are too hard to keep, nice to see them swim away sometimes.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2005, 10:20 AM »
Man you would have loved the one we caught in the Nass last year when we were chinook fishin. We thought it was a sockeye until we got it to shore :o Real beauty. I wanted it released but my buddy's dad caught it and he wanted dinner so into the pan he went. They taste really good. I think it weighed about 8 or 10 pounds. I've never been able to get them in the chuck (mainly because I've only done it twice)......what do you use to get them? (If I can be so bold) Thanks dude
KRIS

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Nice fish, PGkris! I have only caught one over 8 pounds in my life and i go after dolly's a lot!

I don't have to be bold on telling you what to use because many things work. These dollies are gorging on candlefish so they can fatten up. Many baitfish patterns will work, Clausers, smal Surf Candies, Thunder creeks just to name a few. If if it's a long slender baitfish pattern, it will work!

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2005, 03:44 PM »
I used clausers both times no luck but I'll stock my boxes with a few of my own minnow patterns that I use for Bulls and Lakers here. Thanks dude

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly

I caught this nice 25 inch rainbow on a kodiak lake fly fishing from my pontoon boat by myself. The photo isn't too great because it's hard to take pics by yourself in a pontoon boat without hurting the fish but that hen bow was great and is still swimming!!!

troutbum

• Wish I was Fishing!
great pics KC, nice rainbow :)

"Nature hides her secrets because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse."
Einstein

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.