FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kodiak Commando's A.K. adventures, check for updates.( big male coho)  (Read 7523 times)

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
Nice chinooks! Too bad we can't enter them in the tourney :( Should be getting some first week of august. Later
KRIS

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
I went fishing on friday for king salmon at a local river. I went to my favorite hole only too see no fish at all which made me discouraged since the ocean was so inconsistent. I walked down the beach about 200 yards to the water since it was low tide, at high it would be a 50 yard walk. I didn't expect to see anything but after watching for 10 minutes I saw a big fish fin and then another and then a few kings breach, my heart started to pound then. I have caught all the kings at that point in the river which is great but the river is small and the kings true fighting greatness can only be experienced in the ocean. The fish were too far out to catch from shore so i got a workout by dragging my 70 pound scadden pontoon boat to the waters edge. I finally started rowing and spotted the school. I got within 60 feet and made a great cast with a lefty's Deciever and on the fourth or fifth strip and fish slammed it and immediately peeled off 100 yards  :o
I eventually landed the 15 or 16 pound female and started to fish and over the next two hours i landed 9 out of 11 kings which in the ocean is a great hook to land ratio. All of the fish were between 15 and 22 pounds, since i was in my pontoon boat i didn't get any pics and i was releasing them anyway so i didn't want to hurt these precious fish.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

Deposit

Man that sounds fun! Is it tough to sneak up on a school like that in the ocean?

TroutFishingBear

nice report it is hard to get pics in a pontoon boat isn't it

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
It isn't too hard to sneak up on the fish as long as it isn't calm and sunny. Even if it is sunny it is usually windy.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
I went out again today (6 days in a row now, i am a true fishing bum) and caught 5 king salmon in my pontoon boat at the same spot i caught those 9 on friday. All the fish were between 15 and 20 pounds and fought like they were possesed. I need to take a break from this fishing so i don't get too spoiled  :D

A nice chrome female that i kept, It's sizzlin in the pan as i write this!

Deposit

Thats a nice king. Been a long time since i caught on of those. Brings back the memory

TroutFishingBear

Another nice fish. King's are supposed to be very good eating but are they as good as red's?

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
I would have to put them behind reds and silvers in the table fare department TFB.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
Man oh man it was good to get out fishing today because i have not been out for a week and a half! Any way i went fishing  for pinks salmon at the buskin river which is a 8 mile long river that comes out of a big lake, the river is about 20 feet wide on average and gets about 80, 000 pinks a year and last year it got 120,000 pinks. It's quite a site to see a river that small clogged with 10,00 4 to 8 pounds salmon per mile  :o

I went to my favorite hole and one of the few river spots i enjoy because most of the pinks are still chrome and because buskin fish are big, about 4 pound average with plenty of 5 to 8 pounders. The river was real low so i had to be sneaky and i just dead drifted a clauser and watch 12 fish in an hour come and hit it. I was setting the hook purely on sight, no feel involved. Because the fish were still chrome they had plenty of power for my 5 weight especially 3 fish that took me into my backing which is vere impressive since they don't have much water to work with.

After the last fish a guy with a camer notified a bear was coming. So i left the river  but took some pictures of the bear that i have seen a lot. Unfortunately for the bear it's getting way to used to people so it may be a dead bear soon.

All the Grayish blue spots on the far side of the river are pink salmon

A nice chrome female that took me into my backing

The bear fishing

The bear with a fish he caught

Deposit

Thats a lot of fish in a small area, Nice and shinny too. Wow :o the bear would make me to nervous to fish by myself

Hood

MAN that is awesome, cant wait to graduate and go to AK, nice bear  :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
Well i just got back friday night after fishing the naknek river for 6 days. For those who don't know the naknek river is located in bristol bay and along with the kvichichiak is considered alaska's best place to catch a bow over 30 inches. I never caught one over 30 but i did catch 4 around 27 to 29 inches and all were fat and full of piss and vinegar so they fought like possessed fish. My dad caught the biggest fish of the trip, a 34 inch 13 to 14 pound hog. Most of our fish were caught wading from shore but the big one and a few others were caught from drifting in our or our guides jet boat. Because of all the big fish we caught, the countless 18 to 24 inch bows and the chance to spend worry free days with my dad i would say it was a very successfull trip. Unfortunately i forgot to bring my tourney card but it would have been hard to get a good measurement pic anyway cuz of the size of our boat and where we were wading.

This is the big one my dad caught, it fought so hard and long it was really tired so we had to release it quick which explains the crappy pic but no pic is worth hurting or killing such a magnificant fish!

Me with a nice 28 incher

This fish was around 29 inches and 9.5 to 10 pounds, this fish had some serious thickness to his back

Me with a nice 27 incher

My dad with a smaller fish that fought so hard it deserved a pic!

A shallow stretch we did real well wading

Our boat dock and the river which you can see is pretty big

Hood

MAN that is awesome!! you really do live in gods country, those fish are huge and I can imagine how they fight, your reports are one of my favorites becuase you always have some badass fish caught and never a shortage of them WTG!!  :thumbup_smilie:
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Deposit

That looked awesome, lots a great scenery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.