FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thriller's 2005 Open Water Adventures  (Read 9324 times)

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
Thriller's 2005 Open Water Adventures
« on: May 15, 2005, 05:31 PM »
Opening weekend finally arrived here in southern Manitoba.  Yesterday was a bit hectic with errands and the weather wasn't very nice (cloudy, windy, hovering just above freezing), so it wasn't going to be a family fishing day.

We went to a small reservoir called Stephenfield to make sure the boat was OK and everything working properly.  It was, except for marker lights on the trailer (we were travelling in daylight, so it wasn't a real big deal).  Anyway, the family went fishing on Mom's birthday and we didn't get skunked.  I caught this 20" pike trolling with a lipless crankbait I got for my birthday (first time it got wet)...it swallowed it and was bleeding pretty badly, so he came home and is now filleted - supper tomorrow.

I can't have a post here with just one photo, so I had my wife take a photo of the rig as we were loading up to come back home.

I have a couple reels to re-spool now too...I am far too good at procrastinating, but they proved themselves to have too much memory and the one almost seems rotted - it broke every time I was trying to tighten a knot.

Derek

vancouvercanuck

Re: Thriller's 2005 Open Water Adventures
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 10:12 AM »
I saw a few of those legend boats on the weekend. They are pretty nice boats. What does one of those set a guy back?
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

troutbum

• Wish I was Fishing!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 01:01 PM »
how did ya cook that pike?
"Nature hides her secrets because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse."
Einstein

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 04:42 PM »
nice set-up.  ;D WTG
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:04 PM »
That outfit is the V-151 All-Sport with a 40 4 stroke...got it last year...price was about $15...$19k after taxes - check out http://www.legendboats.com/.  It's a year old and I haven't got too many hours on it yet.  It has the canopy and full cover.  My wife was the one who decided we needed a full console for comfort's sake.

Troutbum - after doing the boneless fillets (first time I attempted removing the Y bones), we just dipped in a beaten egg, then Italian Style Fish Crisp, and fried them up in olive oil.  With my cholesterol levels, I should probably learn to bake / broil / grill fish better so that I can make it a bit healthier.

Derek

ginnz

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 06:33 PM »
dang thriller, that is a fine boat...... you were fishin right close to me last weekend...... you going out on the long weekend?   drop me an e-mail. [email protected]

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 11:01 AM »
ginnz,

Not that I am going to remember, which boat were you in?  There was a couple (older than us) that we briefly chatted with as we passed each other.

Derek

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 04:05 PM »
Today we spent about 2 hours on the LaSalle River - a small tributary of the Red - we were just outside the city and had a bit of fun.

Well, things started off slowly, but eventually we got a few.  First fish was a rock bass, my very first.

After that, the order gets a bit confusing.  Suzanne landed her first rock bass.

Somewhere in there, she lost a sauger, I had a small sauger hit my coloured weights as they were coming out of the water.  I caught a small sauger and then a larger one (maybe 14").  Then the joy came, and Suzanne caught her first MA.

It came in at about 10.5"

Final tally - Suzanne landed 3 rockies, including an MA.  Derek landed 2 sauger and 2 rockies and had a number of other hits, but tried to set the hook too quickly.

Except for the first fish, they were all in close to shore (a rod length out)...I was releasing my second sauger, my jig went into the water, and I had a rocky on while I still had a sauger in my hand...needless to say, that one got off.

Anyway, it was our first time there, we generally had a good time, and Suzanne's name is going to be in print.

Derek

Mikepike

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 08:12 PM »
That is a big rockbass! :o I remember when i fished for them in Sault Ste. Marie. With a little rod and some cheese on a little hook, most where 4-7" But nothing that biG!

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 08:15 PM »
Odd colored rockbass, the one's I get are brown with red eyes.

Nice fish! 8)

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 08:30 PM »
The smaller ones were darker...I've seen enough colour variations not to count on that for identification.  I can't speak for the big one with any certainty, but the fish we caught today did generally have orange / red eyes.  I did notice on at least one that they were kind of blotchy with some parts of the iris red and other parts darker.  I don't know.

It has to be a rocky - the only other possibilities for the watershed are bluegill, white bass, and black crappie - white bass have separated dorsal fins, I've seen enough crappie to know the shape is wrong and it would be a monster bluegill if it weren't a rock bass.

Derek

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 09:17 PM »
They're definately rock bass, just that big one looks different to me. Very interesting! ;)

Reelmaster

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 10:38 AM »
Nice rock bass. Way to go. Hopefully your summer keeps going as well as it is starting.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 04:44 PM »
Good to see that Suzanne got her first Master Angler!  I hope you have a whole wall available for all of the certificates that your family is going to get in the next few years.  Congratulations to her for the nice sized rock bass!

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Nice rock bass. Way to go. Hopefully your summer keeps going as well as it is starting.

And here I thought we were off to a poor start...two trips out in the boat and one fish boated...2 shore trips (I think) so far and the first was one sauger and a few stonecats...it took us two weeks into the regular season to have a half decent time...funny thing was with the number of other folks around, we saw only one other fish caught while we were there.

Let's hope Sunday afternoon was the start of a better season  ;D 8)

Monophil, I'm thinking the certificates will primarily go into a binder in protective sleeves.  I'll make sure to pass along your congrats.

Derek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.