FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thriller's 2005 Open Water Adventures  (Read 9322 times)

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
Re: Thriller's 2005 Open Water Adventures
« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2005, 01:54 PM »
The boss was on call, so she had to go to the hospital and do rounds this morning, so I took the kids back to the LaSalle river just on the edge of the city.

I got the kids set up with a piece of crawler on a jig and told them just to hold it off bottom (i.e. a rod's length from the shore).  I was setting up my rod when I heard Joseph.

Here he is with his first rock bass.

A little while later, Luke got excited.  It turns out he had a small bullhead on.

On the same piece of crawler, Luke then caught his first rock bass.

The boys eventually tired of fishing...we had a couple of snags and lost a couple of jigs.  I caught a small sauger.  Finally, Teresa got into a fish and caught a nice rock bass.

Teresa's and Luke's were nice fish - about 9"...just short of the 10" required for a Manitoba Master Angler. 

The kids enjoyed themselves, which was the primary reason for getting out today.

There seem to be some problems with the photos...I'll try editing them again and uploading again.

Derek

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #16 on: Jun 07, 2005, 05:49 PM »
I'd run out of space with my ISP...I cleaned up a bit, but will need to look at other solutions...anyway, the photos are here now.

Derek

rainbow

• life is short...... go fishing.....
« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2005, 07:23 PM »
GREAT PICS THRILLER nice to see lifeguards on the kids {sign of a good parent}and nice rock bass :clapping: :clapping:

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #18 on: Jun 07, 2005, 10:30 PM »
Thanks rainbow...perhaps not a good parent, or as good as I would like to be, but at least one that cares...besides, it's easier getting back home to the wife with all three of them  ;D

Derek

TJ Bauer

• LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #19 on: Jun 07, 2005, 10:35 PM »
Its always fun when you can bring a kid out and get them some fish to real in.

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jun 08, 2005, 11:11 AM »
Great pics of the kids!  Keep em out there!  The world would be a better place with more fisherpeople...
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #21 on: Jun 25, 2005, 08:35 PM »
Finally something worth posting about again.

Here's a 37.5" channel cat

My 9 year old daughter caught this 33"...she was a real trooper...first measure had it at 33.5, just a half in shy of a Manitoba Master Angler award, so we measured again, more carefully and came up with 33.  She wasn't disappointed - more like pumped although she did take a bit of a break after that fight.

Nice day on the water...I even got to watch Grump get skunked  :-\ :o ::) 8)

Derek

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #22 on: Jun 25, 2005, 09:55 PM »
great pictures, WTG  ;D Awesome kitties, and congrats to your daughter.  ;D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Deposit

« Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2005, 07:54 AM »
Those are some nice cats, WTG

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2005, 09:15 AM »
Thanks guys...the cat fishery around here is truly amazing...only problem is that it is one of many fun ones we have.  This was only the first time really targeting them this year.  I'd been thinking about heading to my favourite crappie lake today, but the weather isn't too nice...I guess we'll maybe get the laundry and vacuuming done  :o ::)

Derek

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #25 on: Jun 26, 2005, 03:09 PM »
That's a huge catfish!

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #26 on: Jun 26, 2005, 05:19 PM »
But they do get quite a bit bigger yet TFB  :o  This one wasn't even big enough to warrant sending in a photo with a measuring device.

Derek

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #27 on: Jun 26, 2005, 06:32 PM »
My biggest channel is a mere 8 lbs. I did catch a 2.2 lb bullhead once though which is pretty nice. I'm not much of a catfisherman mostly because the only place around here that's any good is the colorado river which isn't what it used to be. the no bag limit bs and the removals by USFWS and CDOW really have hurt that fishery. We also have to deal with the predatory roundtail chub which hits anything you throw out there immediately and you have to deal with 10 of those for every channel. What is your regulation on keeping cats up there?

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #28 on: Jun 26, 2005, 07:14 PM »
Well, a number of years back, a few people interested in the fishery convinced the government that every channel cat over 24" has to be released.  There are still some poachers out there, but it has helped make for an amazing, world-renowned channel cat fishery.

Derek

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #29 on: Jul 02, 2005, 10:10 PM »
Well it hasn't been much of a weekend for fishing - we have too much water...launches all over are either closed because you can't find them or access is too mucky.

Anyway, today we tried to find a shore spot.  Amongst all the current, we found a backwater pool full of carp.  It was a bit tough to get them to bite, but in under 2 hours, I did wind up landing 2 and had 2 others get off.  One of the ones that got off took me for quite a run - that might have been a Master Angler length...oh well.

My MFF tourney card was on the freezer by the back door instead of in my truck or one of the tackle bags....

Here's the first one that was about 25.5".

Here's the second that was about 26.5".

It wasn't fast and furious by any stretch of the imagination, but those were good fights...I have marks on my belly from where I was trying to leverage the rod.  The 7' rod I was using today doesn't have much backbone, so it was bent over pretty good.  I need to find myself another rod...hmm...maybe while the wife is away this coming week... :evil: :angel: ::)

Derek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.