FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thriller's 2005 Open Water Adventures  (Read 9325 times)

Hood

Re: Thriller's 2005 Open Water Adventures
« Reply #45 on: Jul 14, 2005, 10:17 PM »
gotcha  :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #46 on: Jul 15, 2005, 02:42 AM »
So the kids pretty much wound up taking turns with the one cat rod...here is Joseph fighting a fish with a bit of help from Suzanne...

And here is the result...a 34.5" channel cat...Joseph picks up his second Master Angler fish in a second species.

Not to take anything away from the nice catch by the little kid, but shouldn't he have to catch the fish all by himself in order to receive the Master Angler Award?  I know for other records nobody can so much as touch the line or pole.

Deposit

« Reply #47 on: Jul 15, 2005, 04:35 AM »
A lot of nice fish on the trip thriller! WTG to the kids...those are some awesome cats!!   :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #48 on: Jul 15, 2005, 06:45 PM »
crappie66 I hear you and I thought my wife did a bit much...but it isn't like a line record...these are brutes to get in and young guys like him wouldn't be able to get them in at all, but he wanted to go fishing.  I don't feel great about submitting it, but I haven't seen anything specifically forbidding it.  How far does one take it though?  Can someone else net your fish?  Someone pretty much needs to with some of these bad boys.

Anyway, we took a trip to a nice little impoundment...my wife is tired of going there...we got into some baby walleye.  I caught one crappie, which is on the tourney pics.

I had a couple small walleye get off at the boat...my wife brought a few to the boat...biggest might have been 12" or so...here's the smallest.

Derek

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #49 on: Jul 15, 2005, 11:40 PM »
Don't get me wrong, the fish is definately a brute, and every kid should hook into one.  It would be a sure fire way to get a kid hooked on fishing.  I am not saying it is right or wrong to submit it, that is for you to decide.  I was just wondering if it is ethical.

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #50 on: Jul 16, 2005, 09:34 AM »
Considering you only need 2 witnesses to actually submit the paperwork, truly unethical folks could simply fill out a bunch of paperwork without actually even going fishing.  I appreciate what you are saying - it is definitely a gray area.  The little guy waited with the bait in the water and hooked it himself.  He had some assistance bringing it in.  I certainly don't think my wife should submit it as she didn't do it all either.  This is a tourism program, not an official weigh-in or anything.

I guess what it comes down to for me is this - when the little guy hooks a fish, gets some help because he isn't strong enough to bring it in himself, the fish is landed and measured and determined to be MA size and his eyes light up and he starts jumping up and down from excitement, I don't think I'm going to deny him because he wasn't the only one touching the rod.  When they are old / large / strong enough to fight the fish themselves, they'll be doing that.

I understand the ethical issue you are raising and appreciate it.  These kids are hooked for life on fishing now and are being taught to respect the fish and to treat them properly and to respect our natural resources.  Personally, I think that is more important than whether or not a form should be submitted because his mother helped him.

Respectfully,

Derek
Derek

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #51 on: Jul 16, 2005, 09:47 AM »
Sweet catfish and congrats to the little ones, getting them fishing and landing a bunch of nice cats has gotta be great for them.   I bet they are still smiling.   
   That walleye sure was a monster did ya get it mounted?     ;D
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #52 on: Jul 16, 2005, 12:07 PM »
Thanks for the chuckle AD...I think my wife asked it to tell it's momma or grandpa that there was some free food where we were and sent him on his merry way....

Derek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.