FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Eelpout  (Read 26831 times)

Jigwiggler

Re: Eelpout
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2004, 10:11 AM »
Ya know I have never caught one of these myself but have heard that there are some in Oneida lake in NY.  Oneida I beleive has a maximum depth of 55 ft.  Also from what I know of them they inhabit much of the same water as laker's.  There are a lot of laker's in the Finger lakes and Ontario (very deep,  4, 5, 600'+) but I have never heard of any Eelpout.  I may just not be listening to the right people  ;) .
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2004, 03:45 PM »
Call your local Minisrt authoritys they will have knowledge of the FIsh in lakes..They are always a wealth of Information and More then happy to help ya for the most part...SO if ya want a List of lakes Try them...I mean your paying them in one way or another might as well utilize what ya can from them...TIght lines and good luck for your search of the Ling....Tight lines boyz~
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

buzzbomb

« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2004, 10:17 AM »
Yeah, what he said........also you've probably got them, just don't know what they're called.  I've never heard of so many different names for one blessed fish.. I didn't know they were eelpouts 'till last year.  And I'd never heard of a cusk.  Get yer red hot cusk here!  Cusk balls!  Cusk on a stick!  Cusk pie! :D :D :D

Cider

« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2004, 02:15 PM »
Burbot - Lota lota  scientific name is derived from the old French "la Lotte" meaning codfish.

Common slang terms - Ling, Eelpout, Loche, Freshwater Cod, Maria, Methy, Lush, Lawyer, American burbot, Freshwater Codfish, Mud Blower,  Dogfish, Freshwater Crusk, Gudgeon, Lingcod, Mother Eel, Spineless Catfish

And yes, a dogfish is also a bowfin.  These are slang names not proper names.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2004, 06:53 AM »
Thanks guys!  I am going to do some research and see what I can find.

Chucker

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2004, 08:41 PM »
Ya know I have never caught one of these myself but have heard that there are some in Oneida lake in NY.  Oneida I beleive has a maximum depth of 55 ft. 

They are in Oneida - my cousin (Alaskan Dreams on iceshanty.com) got one this year. 

Matter of fact, I just dug out my copy of Inland Fishes of NY State... Burbot occur sporadically in the Allegheny drainange, and in the following lakes - Erie, Ontario, Otsego, Champlain, Cayuga, Canadarago, and Canandaigua.  There are also stream populations in the Upper Susquehanna.  This data is somewhat historical though, as the book was published in 1985.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2004, 01:28 PM »
WOW  :o never would have thought they'd be in the Susky!!  I live on the Susquehanna in PA.  Never seen any burbot though.  Thanks for all the info Chucker!!

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #22 on: Sep 08, 2004, 02:19 AM »
Why looky here what Chucker's cousin found  ;D!!

A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #23 on: Sep 08, 2004, 06:20 AM »
Very nice AlaskanDreams!!  I've only icefished Onieda once, mostly fish it during openwater.  I'm gonna give it another shot this year.  How about a little insight to where and how you caught that baby?  Not specific spots, just depth and type of structure or lack there of and presentation.  I'm thinking the deeper water area in the eastern portion of the lake has got to be a burbot hot spot especially during the summer months

TJ

« Reply #24 on: Sep 08, 2004, 09:58 AM »
The deepest part of the lake, in summer I have got them in 35-50 feet, but that is the bottom, deepest part of the lake. I would say start there and go deep. Jigs are great for them, scraping along the floor. They like to keep close to the bottom most of the time.

killitandgrillit

« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2005, 01:21 PM »
I fish them in spring. Check the other eelpout topic for some cleaning pics. You can usually find them in spring near the mouths of any tributary of the great lakes. Crawlers on the bottom work well.
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

wavewatcher

• FISH ON!!!!! Menominee MI
« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2006, 08:13 AM »
i wish i could pick up a few around here
If it moves and it shouldn't, use ducktape;  If it don't move and it should, use WD40!

gotfish365

« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2006, 10:18 AM »
A few years ago, I was doing real good on the slob perch off of Godfrey's in Cleveland, NY. There was alot of people icefishing out there, thanks to my info to App's Marina. I seen dozens of burbot laying all over the ice. Must be people were regarding them as junk fish. They are tasty critters. Alot of them get tooken out of the catfish hole out there. 50-60 fow. During the spring, they must move shallow to spawn. I've caught a few of them while bullhead fishing at Three Mile Bay. The reason I give out info on Oneida Lake is that once you find a big school of perch there, you have to keep people on them. When you get into a huge school of them, there are so many of them that the school's are 100-200 yards long. Too many people are tight lipped on Oneida Lake. Especially the south shore.
I have been hunting or fishing almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.