FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hard vs. Soft  (Read 4277 times)

Woodburner

Hard vs. Soft
« on: May 09, 2005, 08:52 AM »
Do you prefer a Hard Tackle Box or the newer Soft Tackle Bags?  I know they both have their pros and cons but I think I like the hard boxes best mainly because they’re easier to work out of.  The tackle bags seem to be good as far as storage but you constantly have to pull out plastic cases and then securely close them and put them away each change-up whereas with the hard box you can just open the lid drop the item in and shut it.  And if you do like the Sift Bag how do you deal with your Spinners?  (My Hard box has a nice Holding section for Spinners)  Just wondering what you think?

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
Re: Hard vs. Soft
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:55 AM »
 I mainly use the hard boxes most of the time, mainly for their conveinence..If i'm hiking into a trout pond I will take just my trout gear in a softcase, I think the softcases are easier to carry long distances...But there both good..

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:06 AM »
I have an ordinary backpack with 2 large sections and 1 large and one small pocket that works really well for bait fishing gear, or for ice fishing.  It's light, very portable and doesn't have to be carried by hand into a remote lake.  For boat fishing, mostly trolling with crankbaits or casting spinnerbaits, I have a hard tackle box that keeps my lures out of the bilge, because my little boat leaks.

Pikeguy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:48 AM »
The ONLY reason I haven't tried the soft cases is the fact that you have to spend a ton to get one that's waterproof. My tackle boxes all use plastic pull out containers, but I like having waterproof storage in the top section for reel manuals, licenses, regs and cigarettes etc, etc.

fishguy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 04:51 PM »
i love my soft sider tackle box. very easy to keep clean because you are dealing with plano type boxes which are very esay to convert or change to any size lure. the good thing is if you keep your stuff separated in to classes you can bring what you need not what you dont.

no use bringing musky lures to that crappie trip. this way when winter rolls around you dont have your crankbaits along to.

plus it holds more tackle and weird items can be accomadated. ;D

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 05:01 PM »
Soft all the way!!!  I have two that I use quite regularly and the greatest aspect is you can "customize" it for the targeted species.  Going to troll for Eye's...grab the 3-4 3600's full of crankbaits plus one with spinner rigs/jigs/body.  Going for bass, grab the 3600S with your Bass stuff.  Panfish......you get the idea.  As far as worrying over your spinnerbaits, buy the small (or however big your collection dictates) box that is specifically designed for them.  Doing it this way it keeps you from lugging everything, including the kitchen sink, when going out.  Also one other thing is you can put the other 3600S full of tackle under the seat of your car or truck just incase you decide to change game plans.  Everyone has a different approach but this has worked very well for me.

Tight Lines to ALL :flag:
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:24 PM »
got to go with the soft. i have one for the ice and two for the open water
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 05:58 PM »
I have a soft sided and really like it. It's nice being able to take just what you want and leaving what you don't want at home.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 06:33 PM »
pikeguy: check out bass pro's waterproof boat bags, i use one as a soft tackle bag and can stuff a dozen 3700's in it if i need.

I keep all my tackle in small plano boxes, up to the 3700 range.  I put my tackle in either the boat bag, a smaller shimano bag, or my backpack.

chrisN

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 07:11 PM »
soft all the way.  Easier transportation and you can be more organized.

fishguy

« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2005, 10:54 PM »
Do they actually make a waterproof soft sider bag? I have one i really like to use a large rapala one. But every time it rains the water eventually gets in, it has a map compartment on top which eats maps when raining.

Also what would you guys consider to be a totaly wormproof pastic box? such as a plano 3600. I am tired of having my small hooks and swivels ect. jumping from one compartment to the other. Any tips? thx. ;D

fishmix

• striper mania!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2005, 07:55 AM »
soft bag all the way. then customize each box. only bring what you need.
Trollin-Trollin-Trollin.........Get those lakers trollin!

Polar

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2005, 08:27 AM »
I have to go with the soft tackle bags.

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2005, 11:49 AM »
i have both and usually carry both, sometimes i break it down a bit depending on the situation.
i have my hard case for all the terminal tackle and extra lines and what not...  but i like the soft case with the stackable boxes! i have a bag that hold 15 boxes and all my hard lures go in there. they are all labled and so easy to grab just one specific tray!

devil-man

« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2005, 12:39 PM »
My favorite is my Cabela's angling backpack.
I can put a lot of gear in it and hike streams, etc.
It gets thrown in the boat, too.
I have hard-sides, but usually just use them for storage.

When I go out on a lake I will have my pack, my spinnerbait box, and my plastics bag.
That's how I do it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.