FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boating at the Classic?  (Read 979 times)

Snapper

Boating at the Classic?
« on: Jun 17, 2005, 06:29 AM »
I live just a few miles out side of Pittsburgh so I will be heading down to check things out but I will not be taking any of my boats.  Because this is what they do for a living, how they pay their bills, feed their families, and make their fame.  They have this regatta, then a local tourney, not to mention all the pressure of fishing against the others.

I was just wondering how many people will be heading down there and how many will be taking the boat’s?  Do you think it is OK to be out there watching from your boats?  Do you think it hurts the angler?  Please keep in mind it is not just, and not everyone has good ethics.   

I personally think it dose, and that if you like a specific angler you should follow there competitor not them.   I had the opportunity to speak with Iacaonelli about this, he would not comment on how he felt about it, but he did say that to keep you electronics turned off and to keep a fair distance.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Boating at the Classic?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:05 PM »
i wouldn't take my boat out and bother those guys...there's already enough people doing it.  I would rather be fishing for myself, with the classic being recorded on the VCR ;)

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2005, 01:33 PM »
Yep- I wouldn't even go to one unless I was fishing it.
(Maybe in ten years...  :P)
I'm surprised Mike didn't speak his mind. He usually does.

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2005, 04:15 PM »
The fact of the matter is that these guys fish for a living.  Of course most of the guys have huge corporate sponsors who pay for the exposure that they get by aligning themselves with a particular angler.  It's this exposure which pays the salaries of the fisherman.  Certainly the better guys also get their fair share of prize money, although usually only a percentage of it actually goes directly into their pockets.  On one hand these guys have to expect that people will be out watching them, but think of how you would feel if you had a whole herd of boats surrounding you when you were trying to fish.  Add to the fact that these guys are under pressure and it's easy to see why they hate the crowds.  Now think about what you do for a living and how much you would like a whole bunch of people all standing around and looking over your shoulder when you work.  I guess in the end it all comes down to common courtesy.  Because these guys are at the top they have to learn to deal with the pressures and external factors which come into play.  The anglers that manage these factors are more than likely the same ones who come out on top.  At the highest level in any sport abilities are very closely matched and often times if comes down to external factors which dictate the outcome of a certain event.  Bottom line is these guys deserve to get some space, but they also have to realize that they are being paid to a certain degree to generate exposure for sponsors.   I say its ok to be out and spectate, just don't interfere or get in the way.

gillmaniac

• I Don't Go Fishing, I Go Catching!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2005, 10:50 AM »
I live here just out side of pittsburgh and i will not be boating just watching the weigh-in and sportsman show. Also i will be taping it of the VCR so i can see when and what bait the anglers caught there fish.

gill
I am a maniac for gills!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.