FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best motor for a pontoon boat  (Read 1690 times)

izzyfender

best motor for a pontoon boat
« on: Jun 24, 2005, 08:33 PM »
 hey guys im really new to boating and everything and i was hoping if you could answer a few questions. im planning to buy pontoon boat and i was wondering what would be a suitable motor for it, i think anything over 10hp would be too much because the boat is very light(under 140lbs) any recommondations would be greatly appreciated. thnx in advance.

Barebum

Re: best motor for a pontoon boat
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2005, 09:46 AM »
My hubby has an inflatable pontoon boat (13ft) and he has a 2 stroke 20 hp on it. His inflatable only weights 95lbs. The boat is rated up to 35 hp. Check with where you got it for a hp rating or do a google search. Good luck.
Oh yeah, he wishes he would have bought a 4 stroke but sometimes we have to pack the 104lb thru the bush to get to some of the lakes we go to. We also have to deflate the boat to get to some areas due to thick cover. Bought the 2`stroke due to weight as 4 stroke was 20% more weight. So if your not packing and then weight wouldn't be a consideration, go with the 4 stroke. And for the amount of times we have packed it (4 or 5), it would have been nicer if we purchased the 4 stroke and stuck to the easier access lakes. Although on one pack in we caught a 38 lb laker.

Girl Power..........

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2005, 08:33 PM »
Mac's right on the money!!!!......a HEMI !!!!!.....Grump  :w00t: :w00t:

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2005, 08:28 PM »
In all seriousness.....get a 4stroke.....maximum fuel economy ideally suited for pontoon boats as well......one of the best applications that come to mind.....no hole shot....and what would you need it for on a pontoon boat???.....don't get sidetracked with Ecotec outboards.....pick the 4.........and the rest is history......Grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.