FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Terrible Accident  (Read 6485 times)

carpcatcher

Terrible Accident
« on: Jun 28, 2005, 07:11 AM »
Over the weekend there was a family that lost their lives in a boating accident. It was on lake Raystown here in Pa. It happened saturday night, the report said they were going btwn 40 & 50 mph and ran head-on into a steep shoreline killing the man, women, and 5yr old child. I think this is a horible thing to happen but we can all learn from mistakes. I doubt if he was a MFF member but I sure hope it never happen's to any of us :'(
      Jim
Love 2 fish

icenutter

• Fish on
Re: Terrible Accident
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2005, 07:35 AM »
Jim, that is weird you would mention this.  They were very close friends of my wife and I.  Their daughter was one of my wife's little ballerina's at her dance school.  We seen the whole family Saturday afternoon at the dance studio and they said they were leaving for Raystown to celebrate his birthday.  He was also very well known in the community, owning two business's.  No one will ever know what really happened.  He had more than 25 years experience on that lake and he was one of the safest drivers I known.  A very sad and tragic accident.  May God bless them.   :'(

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2005, 07:43 AM »
That is very sad. That has to be shocking to their families... May the gods bless them.
But you know what? We all have to go sometime, and I think being on the water when it happened would be a great way to go. No disrespect meant.
I haven't been to Raystown in a long time, but I remember there are a lot of recreational boats there.

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2005, 11:39 AM »
Man, that's pretty sad.

One time on a lake we were heading back from the north end in the complete dark. (I think it was around 1 or 2 in the morning) Anywho, I'm flying along in the boat thinking I'm way out in the middle of the lake, next thing you know bull rushes are whizing by our heads!!!! Stop the boat look over to my right and shore was about six feet away. Ever since then, it's either slow at night, or not on the water at all.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

icenutter

• Fish on
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Vancouver, that is very true.  Even though he knew the lake very well, no one can figure out why he was traveling so fast at night.  The accident happened around 11:00 at night.  Some thought he may have had a heart attack or stroke, but the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the neck and head.  All the victims were still inside the boat when they found them and the little girl was supposedly down in the cubby hole sleeping on the bed.  The only thing that makes sense is that he tought he was somewhere else on the lake, but from the direction he was traveling he would have just had to pull out of a no wake zone about 1000 feet from where he crashed and there was an access area across from where he crashed that is lighted.  No one will ever know.   :'(   

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2005, 11:25 AM »
That is so sad.  My best wishes and prayers for them and their families...
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

crappieman12887

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2005, 09:02 PM »
 thats a very sad storie,my blessing go out to the rest of there family, this goes to show the rest of us it doesnt matter how good you think you know a body of water  it  changes at night  ,bill

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Thats sad to hear. Yet another reason you should obey the laws and drive 5-10 MPH at night rather than buzz around at 40-50.

I'm not sure about Raystown but I know on the Pack as well as Beltzville there is a speed limit of something like 5MPH after dark. Its there for a reason and maybe I'm the only guy out there who sticks to it but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2005, 11:24 PM »
Hate to hear stuff like that. :(

reubenpa

« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2005, 08:04 AM »
That is terrible.  I hope all the family are doing ok, and friends.  Sudden losses seem to be the worst as there are no good byes. 

Another thing that stinks is that accidents tend to give the gov. another chance to create a law. 
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.