FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Inland trout  (Read 1647 times)

staubsaugen

Inland trout
« on: Jan 08, 2023, 10:16 AM »
Trolled Oliver/Olin last Thursday for rainbows.  Spent about 3 1/2 hours and went 2-2 on rainbows. Both hits came shallow, one on a spoon one on a jointed rapala. Trolled deeper water heading in with no action and few marks. Anyone have any success there this fall/winter?

taxid

Re: Inland trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2023, 10:32 PM »
I stopped fishing there as it's being managed for put and take which I find disappointing. Without a cold water forage like smelt all we can hope or is a rare large brown.

What size were the rainbows?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

staubsaugen

« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2023, 06:46 AM »
15" and stuffed full of bait

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2023, 07:34 AM »
15" and stuffed full of bait

Probably brook silversides or the odd shiner species which are seasonal in availability in the Oliver Lake Chain. At least the smelt would be continual forage in their preferred temperature range in the summer. In the summer once they go down into the thermocline to escape the warmer water temps the trout have to subsist on zooplankton and invertebrates which slows growth to about a half inch a month.

For some reason the rainbows become few in number if any after they reach the middle to upper teens in length, unlike Clear Lake where they continued to grow and hold over on gizzard shad and yellow perch forage. My biggest bow on Clear was over 7 lbs. and 24 inches. Not likely on the Oliver Lake chain.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.