MyFishFinder Canada > Ontario

Pike opener

(1/1)

jjz:
In most zones around here Pike opener coincides with Walleye opener so they are often over looked. Since I have a walleye trip booked at Rice lake next weekend I decided to focus on Pike this weekend. I love pike fishing for both sport and food but this trip was just for fun so all fish went back.
My plan was to start at first light but a dozen drinks the night before pushed my start time back a bit lol. But still caught the tail end of a nice sunrise.

My usual lures of choice for pike are spoons and big jerk baits, started with a 6 in clacknminnow but no bites so I put on a spoon and immediately got a few fish this size. 2-3 lbers

A buddy of mine suggested I try a livetarget lipless crank and man iam glad he did, fish after fish for the next hour and a half.

Crappy pic but this was the biggest of the day, 7lbs just over 30 inches.

This little guy just T Boned it

After a couple hours of great pike action and about 15 fish I picked my youngest daughter Claire up at the dock and was promptly relegated to the back of the boat.

We switched over to panfish and Claire caught a good mix of perch, pumpkinseeds and bluegill.

Doesn't take long for a 5 yr old to get bored so headed back in to beat the rain, Claire's favourite part is when she gets to drive the boat and go really "fast" (My old tinny tops out at 25 MPH) but luckily she thinks it's fast so all was good.

walleye guy:
Great pics, it was a great weekend to get out on the water.  I'm stuck in the middle of moving but I'm going to try to sneak out for a few hours this weekend.

TheDL:
Nice report JZ, too bad you didn't get a better pic of that 7lbr...big head, looks like a big fish, especially if you were fishing where I think you were.

Nice to see kids fishing, hope my girls are into it when they are older....'cause there going to be really bored in the boat if they don't fish  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version