MyFishFinder Canada > Ontario

Spring walleye

(1/1)

jjz:
Me and my cousin Bob headed out on our annual spring walleye trip this weekend, we have seemed to be jinxed in the past with strong winds keeping us cabin bound for a large percentage of the weekend but not this time. A bit of wind and a lot of rain on the Friday but nothing that kept us off the water.
We took Bobs boat for this trip, fun boat to fish out of as he converted an old bow rider into a fishing boat by building a front deck and livewell. It's nice and deep so no problem on big water but still drafts shallow enough to get us anywhere.

We arrived at our lodge on Rice lake around 1:00pm on Friday and were launched an on the water by 1:30. We have been to this place a few times in the past so we hit our usual spots but with the exception of a few small panfish we came up empty until around 6:30 when we banged out 3 slot  walleye ( this lake has a slot where you can only keep walleye btw 35-50cm) in 45mins, on jigs tipped with minnows and curly tail grubs& worms. The rains continued so we headed back to the cabin with a good start to our trip, we accomplished goal number 1 which was to get enough fish for a fish fry.

On day two we hit the water early but didn't find the morning bite. It wasn't until about 10:00 that I hit this beauty 19"er on a lipless crank.

We did an afternoon and evening session using a number of different techniques: jigging, ripping bucktails, bottom bouncing etc. the ripping was fun but only produced out of season bass so we moved on to jigging and bouncing and nabbed our 2nd and 3rd slot walleye of the day.

Sunday was bluebird skies and hot which made for a beautiful day on the water but tough walleye fishing. We actually started the day going after crappie but that was slow so in the afternoon and evening we went back to walleye and the jigging and bottom bouncing produced a few more nice walleye.

The Monday morning we had fish in the freezer and it was calling for T storms so we slept in, we awoke to over cast skies and no rain so we went out for a quick fish and Bob finished off his limit with this perfect eater.

Overall one of our best fishing trips, we had a great fish fry and each took home our limit of 4.  Other highlights were a big oos Smallie which was a handful on a ML rod and a absolute monster oos Muskie which followed my bait right up to the boat.  If he bit iam sure my rod would have snapped in half.  Walleye get a bad rap for not fighting hard, granted they don't have the power of a bass but on ML gear they put up a great fight, and they taste pretty good too!

Mac Attack:
Great report - thanks!!!

TheDL:
Great report JZ!  Looks like a very productive trip, great pics!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version