FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Free Fishing Day  (Read 2126 times)

bogtrotter

Free Fishing Day
« on: Jun 19, 2021, 04:47 PM »
Today was Free Fishing in CT (no license required) so my younger son and I made the trip down from the northern Berkshires.

Over the past few years, I have fished the Farmington and the Housatonic with the benefit of a "guide" (friend) who put me onto some great trout and small mouth action.

But today I was in the mood for a "blast from the past." 

The only CT stream I had fished entirely solo before (about 20 years ago) was Salmon Brook in Granby, and I managed to land a solid trout in a relatively short time (about an hour and a half) on that occasion, so I thought we might as well give it a whirl.

After a slight detour due to my taking the wrong ramp and having to back track (alas, even with GPS, my navigation skills are lamentable), my son and I arrived around 11 AM and fished to about 2 PM.

Unfortunately, the Brook (or at least the stretch we fished, mostly near the Salmon Brook Park) was a lot shallower than I remembered it, and today's weather was awfully warm (about 90 degrees).

Nevertheless, despite the adverse conditions, we managed to avoid a skunking by eking out a brook trout apiece before calling it a day.

On the way home, we stopped in Chicopee to pick some more mulberries from the tree that I found while fishing there yesterday.

Hopefully, between the berries that I picked yesterday and the ones my son and I brought home today, my wife and I will have enough to make a small batch of mullberry wine, and add a new flavor to our repertoire.

Fish_Pete

Re: Free Fishing Day
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2022, 07:31 AM »
1st post

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.