FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New fish finder manual has 228 pages what did I get into?  (Read 2405 times)

taxid

Put a down payment down on a Helix 9 with all the bells and whistles because my Helix 7 is dated and doesn't have some of the capabilities I want like Side Finder and Autochart live. But 228 pages just to learn how to operate it?!

I guess I will be running it on a simulation mode at the dinner table for a while to learn how to use it!

Anybody else have a Helix 9?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SLAYERFISH

Re: New fish finder manual has 228 pages what did I get into?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2022, 10:27 AM »
2 of my friends have the 2020 helix 9. They are ALWAYS f'ing with the settings while I am catching fish on my LX-5. ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2022, 10:43 AM »
Youtube

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2022, 11:12 AM »
Still playing with my helix7 with all the bells and whistles but have watched several YouTube videos and that has helped me a bunch plus being able to play with it on the water. Seeing carp off to the side with my eyes and then seeing what that looks like on side imagining has helped some but still learning. The one thing I will say is if you troll at all the map and the course will help a bunch so when you catch fish you can follow that course again and be able to stay where you are catching those fish has put a bunch of fish in my boat over the last couple years.

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2022, 11:23 AM »
So this is the mode I run the most on my finder while fishing, usually trolling for perch and walleye and such. The side imaging helps with planner boards and such to see fish off to the side and try and get your boards going over that spot, with all the modes need about 3 finders to be watching with all that is available cool technology though then there is the live imaging now that everyone is using for the bass fishing and such to watch the fish where you are casting.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:08 PM »
2 of my friends have the 2020 helix 9. They are ALWAYS f'ing with the settings while I am catching fish on my LX-5. ;D

That's what I'm afraid of.  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:11 PM »
So this is the mode I run the most on my finder while fishing, usually trolling for perch and walleye and such. The side imaging helps with planner boards and such to see fish off to the side and try and get your boards going over that spot, with all the modes need about 3 finders to be watching with all that is available cool technology though then there is the live imaging now that everyone is using for the bass fishing and such to watch the fish where you are casting.

I'm not impressed enough to spring the money for live imaging. I've watched a few of the videos too...

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Yeah the price tag for the live imaging is pretty steep I am not too impressed to spend that kind of money either. Glad you got the unit you wanted headed your way so you can play with it and see what you like and do not like for colors and all. Have fun using it.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2022, 06:22 AM »
The Helix is a great unit. Being "old" I have the Helix 7 Gen2, just the basics with Navionics Map. Even that has more than I use. These days I only fish one lake and that one I have fished for about 60+ years. I think it is something about "old dogs" or something like that...h2l

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2022, 08:54 AM »
I predict at some point all the fish finders will be live imaging.

iceman260

« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2022, 07:42 AM »
I have a helix7 mega si with GPS still trying to learn all features, like it so far.

filetandrelease

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2022, 12:38 AM »
I have a helix7 mega si with GPS still trying to learn all features, like it so far.
My bud the goon has 1 nice unit

popnfish

« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2022, 11:02 AM »
If I had that kind of money, I'd have a bigger boat

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:02 PM »
My bud the goon has 1 nice unit

I usually fish by myself or two people max so a bigger boat is not necessary although it would be nice.

The mapping of the remote pond will have to in this kayak. No ramp and primitive dirt road leads up to its with dead falls.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.