FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 336872 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #1005 on: Nov 18, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Nice deer everyone! I didn't see a thing.... Oh well, that's huntin!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1006 on: Nov 22, 2019, 04:37 AM »
put a lot of time in the woods this year  and seen a lot of deer ....might even have a little venison  ,but I noticed a few changes................number one I hunt new York and PA and I noticed  a decline in other hunters in the woods, big time !  I sure notice a lot more cross bows in use ....I hope ny soon follows suit with other states and open all of bow season up to crossbows ..........you guys that are cursing me for my opinion will change as you get older and that draw weight starts coming down .i noticed a lot of personal changes . I hunted hard but not as hard as a few years ago and I sure turned down deer this year ,in my mind size didn't mattered as much and  the idea of not making a clean shot sure did ....am I more ethical? no just more practical, I see all my family members that still hunting getting up in age and slowing down and a lot have gone to the other side ,hunting has become more a time to be together sharing  and making memories..... before I killed myself to be in the woods every minute I could and to get every deer I could  to work for that huge buck ..... somehow that mission has changed .....we laughed more ...told more stories and ate the walleyes we caught this year and enjoyed  each other ..... no huge bulwinkle for trap  but I  got a  90 pound  doe that fits  nicely in my  freezer .....funny .....I think it's been the  best season I ever had...........wish more young folks would take up hunting .....and I hope you all have a great season I sure am enjoying it
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bigal409

« Reply #1007 on: Nov 22, 2019, 05:19 AM »
Well said Trapper :clapping: :clapping:

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #1008 on: Nov 22, 2019, 06:03 AM »
put a lot of time in the woods this year  and seen a lot of deer ....might even have a little venison  ,but I noticed a few changes................number one I hunt new York and PA and I noticed  a decline in other hunters in the woods, big time !  I sure notice a lot more cross bows in use ....I hope ny soon follows suit with other states and open all of bow season up to crossbows ..........you guys that are cursing me for my opinion will change as you get older and that draw weight starts coming down .i noticed a lot of personal changes . I hunted hard but not as hard as a few years ago and I sure turned down deer this year ,in my mind size didn't mattered as much and  the idea of not making a clean shot sure did ....am I more ethical? no just more practical, I see all my family members that still hunting getting up in age and slowing down and a lot have gone to the other side ,hunting has become more a time to be together sharing  and making memories..... before I killed myself to be in the woods every minute I could and to get every deer I could  to work for that huge buck ..... somehow that mission has changed .....we laughed more ...told more stories and ate the walleyes we caught this year and enjoyed  each other ..... no huge bulwinkle for trap  but I  got a  90 pound  doe that fits  nicely in my  freezer .....funny .....I think it's been the  best season I ever had...........wish more young folks would take up hunting .....and I hope you all have a great season I sure am enjoying it

It is sad. Opening morning here I heard 7 shots the first three hours. Two of them were mine. This is my 51st deer season. When I started hunting, you heard more shots before sunrise than you hear all season now. Every plot of woods was surrounded by hunters. It was nothing to hear a couple hundred shots opening day. Saturdays and holidays were just as busy. Sad. My grandson is 6 and wants to go hunting with Papa. Hopefully God will give me the health to be able to hunt together someday.

hinkydo

« Reply #1009 on: Nov 22, 2019, 06:14 AM »
Nice, trapper
 My Dad felt the same way.
He has been gone 13 years, he loved deer hunting.
I think of him all the time when in the woods. The good times we had and the adventures we shared.

hinkydo

elrodalonzo

« Reply #1010 on: Nov 22, 2019, 06:15 AM »
Yes, well said Trapper I think you echo the sentiment of most of us older hunters.  Hunting is a lot like fishing in many ways.  You start out trying to catch the most fish, then the biggest fish but in the end you realize the experience is the most important part.  I do respectfully disagree with your view on crossbows.  That may change in the future though, I've only turned my poundage down once so far! Everyone enjoy the season and be safe.

trapper2000

« Reply #1011 on: Nov 22, 2019, 07:15 AM »
Yes, well said Trapper I think you echo the sentiment of most of us older hunters.  Hunting is a lot like fishing in many ways.  You start out trying to catch the most fish, then the biggest fish but in the end you realize the experience is the most important part.  I do respectfully disagree with your view on crossbows.  That may change in the future though, I've only turned my poundage down once so far! Everyone enjoy the season and be safe.

well  with less and less hunters  and the  hunters  we have are all getting older  it  keeps people hunting longer  ...... my arms are about shot and I'm hunting with 50 pounds ...... any lower and it's not fair to the animal  ....... there are  points to both sides  ....having hunted  PA  for a number of years  I can say crossbows did not harm the  opportunities of  any  bow hunter  it just increased  the  possiablities  for  older and  disabled  people ....another thing if  hunters  don't start harvesting the  deer the state wants  taken  how long will it be  before  sharp shooters are  used in your  woods ...like  fayettville  long island Westchester county  and  Ithaca ...... just things to consider  while we have  time. we have more  deer then ever  and less people .....

trapper2000

« Reply #1012 on: Nov 22, 2019, 07:18 AM »
Nice, trapper
I think of him all the time when in the woods. The good times we had and the adventures we shared.

hinkydo

my  dad went to the  other side  in 95  but  he's still with me  every fish I catch ever  trap I set and  every time I go afield  ...... and I bet yours is  with you too ^5 brother  ...............were living the  dream

bbfrogger

« Reply #1013 on: Nov 22, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Nice, trapper

hinkydo

4th hunting season w/o my dad hunting with me - hasn't gotten any easier yet.

bbfrogger

« Reply #1014 on: Nov 22, 2019, 08:09 AM »
well  with less and less hunters  and the  hunters  we have are all getting older  it  keeps people hunting longer  ...... my arms are about shot and I'm hunting with 50 pounds ...... any lower and it's not fair to the animal  ....... there are  points to both sides  ....having hunted  PA  for a number of years  I can say crossbows did not harm the  opportunities of  any  bow hunter  it just increased  the  possiablities  for  older and  disabled  people ....another thing if  hunters  don't start harvesting the  deer the state wants  taken  how long will it be  before  sharp shooters are  used in your  woods ...like  fayettville  long island Westchester county  and  Ithaca ...... just things to consider  while we have  time. we have more  deer then ever  and less people .....

Glad you had a good season - things do change a bit as we age.  I totally agree with the premise,  and I can see the points made on both sides, and I also agree with what you are saying about the older and disabled people.  The only "problem" I see where I hunt - and I only bow hunt - is that the public land I hunt on might normally have 1 or 2 cars/hunters each day - as soon as cross bow season opened up there were 10-20 cars/hunters in the same area.  None of the hunters I saw were old or disabled - they were all between 25-40 years old (I'm 62) and looked to be in the peak of health.  Again - not a bad thing. However they way they hunted with the cross bows are the same way the majority of gun hunters that I see hunt - doing a lot of walking at all times of the day - making drives - and that affects the way I, and regular bow hunters, hunt in that area.  It probably doesn't help my point of view this year that I saw 2 bucks running around with bolts stuck in them - 1 8 pointer with 1 in the neck, one smaller buck stuck in the butt end. :-)  IMO you have to shoot at a pretty long distance to not have a bolt go thru a deer's neck.  Just my opinion and experiences - doesn't mean I'm correct  :-)

trapper2000

« Reply #1015 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:41 AM »
good points BB......  like I said it's opinion . I'm basing mine on what I see in PA  where   crossbows are used all archery season .... it could be different in every area

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1016 on: Nov 22, 2019, 04:40 PM »
So as i read the DEC regs ,which arealways sometime confusing,  im not sure but even though i shot a buck with the gun can i still use a crossbow during the rest of gun season and put my muzzle loader tag on it.   My muzzler loader is shot..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

greensider

« Reply #1017 on: Nov 22, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Muzzleloader tag is only good for early and late seasons not regular season

Pequod1

« Reply #1018 on: Nov 23, 2019, 05:33 AM »
Very powerful trapper and guys.  I had to comment because I very much share your views.  I am presently getting a small taste of what it means to be disabled with two recent surgeries. I have not hunted this season, but I did sit in a stand with a camera. Just can’t lift a bow or crossbow.  You know what, I really enjoyed just sitting there. It seems that hunting is not always about killing.  Wish I stopped and took a deep breath and thought about that in my youth. 

elrodalonzo

« Reply #1019 on: Nov 23, 2019, 06:37 AM »
I think we go hunting or fishing most of the time without even admitting or realizing the real reason for doing it is to be outdoors in the woods or on the shore or in a boat. Success does add to the experience but is not always obtained or necessary.  On the crossbow debate I agree 100% with your reasons on disability/age. I do still feel there should be separate seasons.  I see ads for the new crossbows that claim they are capable of shooting 3 inch groups @100 yards.  If true this is more in line of the capabilities of a muzzle loader than a recurve/compound bow.  I think ads like that also encourage people to shoot at deer way past their actual effectiveness which has always given all bowhunters bad publicity. I have and will always respect all your opinions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.