FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wax Worms For Steelhead  (Read 8161 times)

Browntrout08

Wax Worms For Steelhead
« on: Mar 29, 2004, 07:24 PM »
I have heard of guys using waxies for steelheads.  I have a bunch left over from ice fishing and want to put them to use.  Has anybody ever used this bait for steelheads?  Ever use waxies in still water, maybe under a bobber?

broken rod

• CPR
Re: Wax Worms For Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2004, 09:11 PM »
ive used under a bobber for panfish never tried steelhead ;D
tight lines, chuck

wny angler

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2004, 08:37 AM »
i was fishing lake erie near the mouth of a heavily stocked steelhead stream this past weekend and all i had for bait was egg sac,s -the guys fishing 30 yrds away from me used wax worms on a small brown maribou jig fished under a float and caught 15 or 20 steelhead in the couple hours i fished there-some guy gave me his wax worms when he left and a caught a few nice one's on a waxie and plain hook under a float.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2004, 11:54 PM »
I would think they would work very well tipped on jigs. They work on most any fish.

Tyler

reubenpa

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2004, 08:29 AM »
When I was at Maxwell Monday I talked to a guy that was there but just seeing it, not fishing at the time, and he said that his buddy got a nice Steelie on a little jig(ice jigs I think, not sure) tipped with spikes.   Its what he said, thought I would pass it on since I don't know myself ;D
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Browntrout08

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2004, 02:17 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone, I'm going tomorrow. 

Sarniasteel

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2004, 03:41 AM »
Waxies are great for trout, I float them I use about 3 on a #14 kami hook and do dirfts on river havent had to much luck still fishing with them but come to think of it dont have to much luck still fishing to begin with hope this helps for your next try tight lines Wil

cnyfishing

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2005, 02:51 PM »
I have never used them but I have seen other people use them under floats with sucess.
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

wormwigglr

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2005, 04:47 PM »
my most succesful is using a flu flu jig with spikes or waxies. always produces if conditions are decent.

archbishop

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2005, 08:17 AM »
i tried waxworms this past weekend (sunday) and had no success but then again nothing seemed to work that day sis hook up with one on a red egg sack but i will try again when conditions are better

the Wizard

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2005, 05:30 AM »
Arch:  If you go to that trout derby in wellsville try using wax worms on ice jigs[like a white glow willow leaf or gold] under a small , thin pencil bobber.    Figure the depth and keep your jig at 4-8 off bottom and drift it down through the holes.
  If your bobber floats with the water [leave your bail open and be ready to close it
when you get the bite.]            I've used this method at the derby for years and I catch 20 to 30 trout a day in the Genny, I just never got tagged fish so I quit going.
 Try different  colors before you give up, I stood in groups of fisherman and used this method and was the only person catching fish many times.
Catch and release in a hot pan of grease.

archbishop

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2005, 06:55 AM »
thanks waterwizard sounds like a good idea i need all the help i can get in that kind of environment every little edge helps thanks

Pan Handler

« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2005, 11:44 AM »
I've gotten a few steel this spring on waxies. They all came early-mid march though. I have a question though: Waxies are getting harder to find now around me now that winter's over, has anyone ever used nightcrawlers for steelhead? I have a bunch I just caught, wonder if they'd be effective on steel. By the way, I fish the SE Wisconsin Tribs.

ph

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.