FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Small ponds  (Read 3348 times)

Big Burk

Small ponds
« on: Apr 26, 2007, 12:32 AM »
I recently found a few small ponds that were once stocked with trout around 10years ago, one is no deeper than 12-13ft and the other is closer to 20ft at the deepest point. they are fairly small and every fish i seen was no bigger than 9-11 inches. what would be the best bait to try for these trout? i have no clue what kind of trout they are. im gonna take my fly rod out and try that while my friends use spinners, small spoons and bait under a bobber. cant wait till the season opens so we can fish these ponds.

MikeVT

• Wishin I was Fishin!!!
Re: Small ponds
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2007, 02:13 PM »
Are there crayfish or salamanders in the ponds??  If so, I would use either of these for bait.  In my little trout streams, they eat both.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 02:17 AM »
Big Burk my uncle use to have rainbow trout in his dugout. They never got very big, 1 lb or so but were fun to angle for with there high flying jumps.

I caught them on the smallest Len Thompson spoons in 5 of diamonds, red and white and green.
Small spinners like Panther Martin and the tiny mepps spinners worked too. 

They also grabbed a worm below a bobber.

I have heard of them being caught on the multi colored miniature marshmellows, never tried them yet.

On occation they went for tiny{ 1 inch white} curly tail grubs.

I would guess that the trout you saw were also rainbows.
I have never seen any other species sold for private stockings.
Rainbows seem to be the most hardy for Sask. dugouts, more heat tolerent etc.

Good luck with the trout. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

pikeking

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:14 PM »
Try using Uncle Josh Flies or real small spinners moving slow. The water is not to deep and the fish have been there for a while so you will spook them if they see you so try to sneak up on them or fish them from farther away from the shore. Just think like a fish! Hungry but shy, grab and go is their way. So slow and sneaky is what you want.
IF FISHING WAS WORK, I\\\'D NEVER BE SICK!!!!!!!!

Drifter_016

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2008, 10:26 PM »
Bead head nymphs fished with an indicator, small wooly buggers fished deep and if you see them surfacing try a parachute adams on the surface.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.