FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ice out rainbow tactics?  (Read 5161 times)

smokey

ice out rainbow tactics?
« on: Mar 14, 2012, 04:57 PM »
So I've never fished for rainbows this time of year, but I'm now living on a stocked lake, and this is part of the reason I moved into this house. I'll try to give as much info about my lake as possible. Its about 300 acres with a max depth of about 50 feet and a mean depth of about 20 feet. There is an inlet, so I don't think its spring fed at all. They're stocked around 9 inches every April.

Can anyone give me any tips? Depth? Lures? Types of areas I should focus on? I would be trolling and I'm set up for both leadcore or mono, if that helps.

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
Re: ice out rainbow tactics?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2012, 05:26 PM »
i like to fish right on the surface to 10 foot down with spoons and small raps and pinn minnows. i also like to troll a speedy shiner flatlined about 100 foot back and go at a good pace. i like 1.5-2 for bows but that can varry. also a lakeclear with a streamefly in a greyghost patteren with peice of worm of the stinger.  i hope this helps! may i ask what lake? i live in lg so i may be able to help you out. pm me if you want.

smokey

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Thanks for the help. No need to hide it. Its Glen Lake. I'm pretty sure I've chatted with you over on IS a little bit about it. I'm Wind Flag over there.

I got home from work today and found the last bit ice gone. The boat should be in by Friday.

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:37 PM »
nice! i live in the jenkinsville area so im like 5 miniuts from the lake! ill see ya out there one of these days. its a tough lake and i really didnt do to well there last year. how was your iceseason there?

smokey

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I spent a total of 5 minutes on Glen Lake this winter, and it was in the first couple days after it froze to check the conditions. It turns out the neighbors on both side of me had bubblers going all winter. The ice never got within ten feet of my dock. That, and the weather conditions the rest of the season just kinda killed my spirit.

My only ice trip this winter resulted in a 3" perch we didn't even know we had. Oh well. Theres always next year.

gillyman

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Smokey,
I have been trolling a lake that is a couple miles long by maybe a mile wide. It has depths to 90 feet or so and lots of water over 20.  I have been trolling with Tx-6 planer boards from Church Tackle.  I use a small Husky Jerk Rapala-Blue  Back/chrome sides/ orange    belly or perch.  I tie it to a six foot 6 lb test leader, then a swivel between leader and main line.   I feed out about 50-70 feet of line then attach the planer board.  I feed the board out about 50-70 feet to the side.  I troll between 1 and 2 MPH.   
The fish are stocked rainbows and cutts.   
I am from Wyoming.   Fish come  up to surface to feed and the lures run about 3-4 feet down, maybe.   I have also had luck with a gold Jakes Spin-o-lure with orange spots trolled the same way or just flatlined behind the boat.
These fish are stocked but some are 16-17 inches.

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2012, 07:08 PM »
how have you been doing over there smokey?

smokey

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Haven't spent nearly as much time on the lake as I've been planning. Been out a few times though. Nothing positive to report.

gillyman

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:23 AM »
smokey,
I tried some new planer boards.  I broke one of m Church T-x 6 boards.  Funny...when you sit on them they break.  I ran across Dualfin boards from Bullet bobbers.  These boards are lighter, fold up and fit in my tackle bag pocket.  I have been trolling for trout with them and they work well.  They don't spread as far as my Church tackle boards, but from a canoe, I think they would be great.  the fish might not spook as much from a canoe as from a 16 ft starcraft with a gas engine.
Wind is a problem here, and planer boards are tougher to use in the wind.  You may not have that as much where you are.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.