FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fast Current...What to use??  (Read 5582 times)

big big rdg

Fast Current...What to use??
« on: May 18, 2005, 08:22 PM »
I was wondering what to use in a fast current river that is effective. There are a few rivers around with fast currents that are tough to fish but i know hold some big ones.  Any help Please! Thanks
FSHON!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Fast Current...What to use??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 01:43 AM »
Krocodiles work, they sink quickly and wobble well at most speeds.  Heavy bodied spinners would also be an work, as would shallow running crankbaits.   There is no reason why worms wouldn't work, given they were weighted properly to dead drift along the bottom.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 03:01 AM »
I fly fish most of the time and really don't change my pattern selection of flies if the fish are keying in on a certain bug or fish. Really it's not the pattern but the technique that varies for me. I generally mend much more because it's tougher to get a drag free drift and i also tend to use more split shot cuz i have less time to get the fly down. As for pattern as stated before try to find what the fish are eating, if you don't wooly buggers or big stoneflie patterns work great. For lures i agree with BRF, krocodiles work great and a worm with a float or not works great. If you are fishing fast murky water it really helps to have something flashy too. I have found when worm fishing in fast murky current that putting a small hookless lure above a worm really works well.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

devil-man

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 05:29 AM »
I have found when worm fishing in fast murky current that putting a small hookless lure above a worm really works well.

That's interesting. I'm going to try that one.
We have a few rivers in this neck of the woods that I fish right near waterfalls.
The current is very strong, but that's where the fish are.
The best method I've found is drop-shotting with a 3/4 to 1 ounce ball weight.

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 09:09 AM »
When you are fishing in fast current, I think the bigger issue is getting whatever bait your using down to where the fish are.  Fish living in fast current conditions will hit a bait more quickly and with a lot more recklessness than fish in calm water.  In fast current the fish has to decide quickly if it will eat what comes by or not because it can't afford to waste the energy it takes to move into the current from its hide for a prolonged amount of time.  They don't take the time to examine the morsel before hitting, like when you see a trout follow a fly for a while before hitting (or not) in a calm pool.  The problem I generally have with fast current is using enough weight to get the bait down to the fish but not too much that you don't get a good drift and presentation.
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

MikeVT

• Wishin I was Fishin!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 01:03 PM »
If it is not super fast and only 4-8 feet deep, try a floating rapala or yo-zuri.  The yo-zuri will run a little bit deeper than the rapala.  I use both when river fishing, and I usually never fish slow water.  Use bright colors, like silver or gold.  The erratic action is usually enough to make a fish strike and like it was said before, the fish does not have time to look it all the way over.  Good luck.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 05:49 PM »
Krocodiles work, they sink quickly and wobble well at most speeds.  Heavy bodied spinners would also be an work, as would shallow running crankbaits.   There is no reason why worms wouldn't work, given they were weighted properly to dead drift along the bottom.
Bigreds right about everything except the krocodiles (spoons are very ineffective in rivers with real current, like the colorado. At least in my experience) Worms drifted slowly along the bottom are excellent, and probably the #1 presentation of choice for trout in almost any conditions. But personally, in my mind, the best  artificial for river trout is a curly tail grub. Browns love them, and rainbows like them too. You get snagged a fair amount but they are cheaper than other lures by a big margin and they catch a lot of fish. I like 3-4" white, or pumpkin color curly tails. Use appropriate jighead and fish them erractically off of the bottom, using the current to your advantage. In rivers like the gunnison river in the gorge, where I have caught browns and bows up to 17 pounds, a 6 or 7" curly tail grub with a 1 oz. jighead isn't out of the question, but I doubt your river has current even close to that.

big big rdg

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 09:15 PM »
Thx guy next time i go im gonna use a worm on the bottom like you said and im also gonna try the curly tail grub. THANKS! ;D
FSHON!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 09:40 PM »
bigbigrdg, read my "plastics for trout" thread and you will find both my bouncing nightcrawler technique and curly tail information.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 04:15 PM »
When fishing swift and deep rivers, the best lures are curly tail grubs with 1/4 ounce jigheads or 3/8 ounce heads. I also really think that #6 and #9 panther martins weighted with a couple split shot about 3 feet above the lure really work well in current. The larger panther martins are by far the most effective spinner around, especially in heavy current.
And of course drifting a worm with enough weight to slow drift in the current is the deadliest of all presentations.

Tyler

Flash_King

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 02:43 PM »
Pretend your steelhead fishing   - if you know or can estimate the depth of the water you are fishing - set your curlytail grub at the app. length under a pencil bobber and fish through the runs,eddy's,etc. learned the method in upstate NY,and have used it throughout the northeast - IT WORKS.

Hood

« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2005, 11:15 AM »
First im gonna shoot down what TFB said about crocs and spoons in current, I have caught and seen many salmon and bass caught in fast water on them and also little cleo spoons. They sink fast to the bottom and u can really be at the fish's level, u will snag and lose a few but it can be worth it. Withplugs and spinners u have to let the current make the action for you. If u cast into fast water and reel immediately, your lure will wobble way too fast and maybe even spin. When it lands, make the line tight and the current will do the rest, the speed of the current is like reeling on open water with no current, what im trying to say is reel super slow because the current will make the lure work for you. Do it for a while and watch the bend in your rod and line tension as the lure hits eddys and faster water, you will get a feel for it.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2005, 11:34 AM »
hood its funny you mention that about krocs, when i was thinking about krocs in heavy current, I was specifically thinking about fishing right below the foot bridge at the mouth of the river...the current freakin RIPS through there at times, and in the spring it is very deep with the lake level being up...krocs have just spanked the salmon and even a few 'eyes for me right there casting from the wall under the big trees ;) 
Also, some people don't realize that there are two different kroc thicknesses (thanks slipbob for pointing this out), for example, the 1/4oz and 3/8 are the same size, just the 3/8 is thicker...which might be more appropriate for the heavy current in the deep water.

Hood

« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2005, 12:49 PM »
thats exactly what I had in mind when typing that post, i never caught a salmon down that far but did catch a 7 lb walleye a few years back right at the end of the wall and plenty of bass, i like between the bridges and just above the train bridge for sammies, i got a special way to fish it now that the water is down and a little warmer I think I can nail a BIG salmon in the next couple weeks there from the middle of the river....im gonna put some serious time into it.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2005, 01:26 PM »
I'm just sayin' what I find works best. I think my results speak. I'm going to continue not using spoons in heavy current as I think there are many presentations that beat them, but like I always go back to use what you have confidence in. If you catch them on spoons, then throw spoons. If you catch them on tube jigs or curly tails, go with that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.