FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New poster  (Read 2701 times)

ferox

New poster
« on: Jul 29, 2005, 10:53 AM »
Hello guys

New poster Ferox here,i am from Scotland in the U.K and like to troll with downriggers in the deep highland lochs for ferox(large canniball trout).Most of our fishing is by trolling dead baits,6 -10 inch brown, rainbow trout or arctic char,but getting  and mounting baits are time consuming and messy so i was looking at using lures etc, and seeing as you guys are probably 20 to 30 years ahead of us in this department i thought i might pick your brains.Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Kevin.

Hood

Re: New poster
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2005, 11:04 AM »
Hi Kevin and Welcome.... I would start with Rapalas...they are proven as one of the most reliable. A lot of people like to troll them on downriggers behind a flasher (big spoon for attracting) and run the lure a few feet behind the flasher. Also try J-plugs if you can get them over there,  they are made by a company called Luhr Jensen. Many people use them on the Great Lakes for Salmon and Lake Trout. And last but no least are spoons, all species of fish will hit spoons and copper color has seemed to work best for me with trout.  Good Luck! :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

ferox

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2005, 05:54 PM »
Thanks Hood.

Ibought a few of the bechold flashers last month so for my next trip i will try them with j plugs and spoons.What advice would you give on distance from downrigger weights to fish the flasher and plugs.I am used to flatlining baits maybee 100 to 150 ft behind the boat so it feels quite alien now that i am using downriggers to be fishing shorter lines.I have been using rubber bands as my release but i am after some release clips hear that the blacks releases are supposed to be good?.Cheers again Hood and keep the advice flowing.

OTIS

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I think these would kill em!

http://www.castaicsoftbait.com/

'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.