FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Scarving for Egg Bags  (Read 3042 times)

blaque

Scarving for Egg Bags
« on: Oct 03, 2005, 09:25 AM »
Well i dont see alot of steelhead activity on the board, but ill post anyway. Heres a problem im having when using scarving vs. netting for my bags. Im ready to go back to netting. Heres the problem, before heading out this past weekend, i tied up about 20 bags using various colors and tied them up using Atlas Magic Thread. And i got out on the water yesterday only to see that about 3 or 4 of the bags had opened up, almost like the scarving just slid out from the knot from wrapping them so tight. Then , if that wasnt discouraging enough........the ones that were intact, well, a couple of them opened up just bringin them back for another cast, and the rest, well, Id say 5 of the 20 "allowed" me to fish with them wihtout a problem. Whats the issue here, tying a tighter knot only broke the thread, id say i was clinching them as tight as i could. Is this a problem anyone else has. Do i go back to netting. Should a get a thread that allows a tighter know, should i not s##### the tag end so close? I left about 1/16" past the knot. I dunno, I love the dense mesh of the scarving, but it almost feels slippery, like maybe enough to slide itself out of the knot? Not a huge ordeal as im usually an artificial guy anyway, but theres times where i like to have a couple bags on me in case. Any Input?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Scarving for Egg Bags
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2005, 09:43 AM »
I like to leave about 1/4 inch of tag netting material...it serves 3 purposes,

1. it helps keep the thread from unraveling.

2. it kinda looks like a piece of skein membrane.

3. it catches on steelhead's teeth.

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2005, 02:24 PM »
Blaque,
I agree with Bigred.  I do tie sacks on a sack tying device.   It frees my hands up and insures a nice uniform sack is tied.  I have never had a problem with atlas thread or spider thread.  Ten wraps or so and then two really tight pulls, before the thread snaps.  Maybe it's the hook placement?  I never insert the hook through the tied portion of the egg sack.  I also use Mustad "live" bait hooks.  These hooks are thinner in diameter, and not only penetrate the sack better, but are lighter in wieght, (or so it appears.)  You will see the difference between standard bait hooks and these bait hooks.  I'm sure your using the proper hook size, but this could have a big effect on your sacks blowing out.?,.?  I usually use a hook 1 gap size smaller than the egg sack. 
Go with the 1/4" like Red said.  Try a different hook, or hook position.  Hope this helps a little?  -Jim

blaque

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2005, 02:44 PM »
Thanks guys......I have to rule out hook placement though barley, i dunno, maybe i worded it goofy, but i meant to also say that before i even threw my first cast........i opened up the bag that sat in the fridge overnight, to see 4 bags already opened an the eggs spilled out of them on there own. So whatevers happenin , is happening just sitting there. Thats why i thought maybe im pulling the tag so tight before i wrap, that the tension is so great that the slippery scarving just slips out from the thread in time, as you guys said, maybe a longer tag end would help the scarving lose a little tension without pulling the tag end through.  I use a device also that i like alot to tie. Ive also never given 10 wraps either, maybe Ill try that as well. Thanks Guys

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2005, 02:52 PM »
in terms of wraps, i do 5 or 6 wraps, then pull tightly into two over hand knots.

blaque

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Dang Bigred, your always on here arent ya?, when your not fishin of course.

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2005, 12:08 AM »
Right on....  I use lot's o wraps without a problem.  Won't fall apart in the fridge! ;)  Used to fish sturgeon with sand shrimp placed in egg sacks.  You had to wrap them tight or the fish like squawfish would pick right through your sack. :-X  Got into the habit of 10 wraps...  Overhand knots work too!  Either way, find what works.  Good luck 8) 

blaque

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2005, 07:13 AM »
Thanks Boys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.