MFF US Northeast > Vermont

Using fish as garden fertilizer

(1/5) > >>

TroutCrazy:
It's time to think about gardening, too!  I hate the idea of buying fertilizer, when I throw away so many fish carcasses.   There's a lot of conflicting information on the internet about using fish as fertilizer.  I live in Burlington, so I can't have a big stinky situation.

Some people on the internet say you have to make fish emulsion or some other fermented goo (not an option in Burlington).  Others say to bury the fish 1.5 or 2 feet deep, but honestly I'm not sure I trust what I'm reading.

Does anyone bury fish directly in their garden? 
How do you do it? 
Does it cause any problems?

ran7ger:
my grandpa did it with pike carcasses.  he lived in a small town on a big lot but i don't recall any smell just the odd curious cat. 

amazing garden, that's for sure.

dirtydeeds:
a dog that is determined will dig up fish carcasses if given the time. the only one that will smell a fish carcass buried 18"s underground would be a hungry mutt or scavenger. fish emulsion sounds like something my yellow lab wouldve loved to roll in

fishnmachine:
Not only dogs, but skunks and opossums will dig them up too.     :-\

VT Mountain Musky:
i bury some fish carcasses in the garden every year, right now or late fall is the best time to bury them, curious critters will sometimes investigate if you dont bury them that deep but i have had pretty great luck with it every year, i like to use smaller fish when possible,  and definitely use all the guts you can

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version