FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Favorite Brand of Braid  (Read 10945 times)

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
Favorite Brand of Braid
« on: Apr 20, 2012, 11:05 AM »
I have tried many different brands in the past few years ! They all have one or two things better than the other ! I want one brand to cover it all ! Strength, True round technology, color not fading , abrasive resistant!!!  Let's see what  brand wins the discussion  8)

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

waterwolf603

Re: Favorite Brand of Braid
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2012, 11:07 AM »
POWER PRO! nuff said
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2012, 11:09 AM »

power pro.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

capedeer/fish

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2012, 11:35 AM »
power pro    salt/fresh/ice
IndianHill Icetrap Pro Staff                                               SavageGear Product Tester         Dexter-Russell outdoors Pro Staff   ODM Rods Pro Staff

00Fisher00

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2012, 12:00 PM »
Suffix 832 for me!

TheDL

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2012, 12:14 PM »
suffix 832.  The colour does fade though, the abraision resistance is crazy strong.  I got a large bass stuck around a sunken tree with 10lb suffix 832 on...it rubbed and pulled  on the limb and I caught both the bass and a sizable piece of tree after it broke off.
Power pro is great too, but I find it not very round and noisy in the line guides.  Also, it's kind of stiff and doesn't cast as well as 832.
tight lines....

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Power Pro. Green

PeterSaloom

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Broken Record, but power pro is awesome. I use 65# on my frog rod. (Or I did until I lent it out and it got stolen.) But I will use it on my next one as well.

waterwolf603

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2012, 01:44 PM »
while we are on the topic of braid, has anyone else heard that is bad on your eyes of the rod? I havent noticed anything yet and have been using for a few years, just curious if anyone else has seen any extra wear on the rod from using braid
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

TroutTroller

• Lund wc-14 3.5 horse merc...beats any day at work
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2012, 03:45 PM »
I troll with fireline smoke 8lb I love it ..tried power pro lost to many fish on point of strike using same 8lb. Tried suffix but was only ok after 4 or 5 times out lost color ...been 11 times this month since re spooling and still color no fade...

stitch

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2012, 05:09 PM »
fire line is my fav.ididnt like power pro on a spinnig rod. i kept getting loops.maybe it was something i was doing but i have rarely had trouble with fireline.the color does fade but i havent seen thatto be a big deal.

200fisher

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2012, 07:09 PM »
while we are on the topic of braid, has anyone else heard that is bad on your eyes of the rod? I havent noticed anything yet and have been using for a few years, just curious if anyone else has seen any extra wear on the rod from using braid

In it's infancy, super braid could saw grooves in some guides. I don't think it's a problem anymore. All the lines are now much smoother and rounder.

I used a lot of Power Pro and had some issues with it. It seemed coarse, would quickly lose color, I got a lot of wind knots, and I experienced mystery break-offs. I had a couple spools that actually had imperfections that you could see and feel. I now use nothing but Tuf-Line XP. I fish mostly saltwater so I'm using heavier lb. test, and I always buy the white line. I've had no issues and the line seems to be more manageable. I use only mono in fresh water.
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Call me odd, but I cursed the day I met power pro... It is permanently on my black list. It gets flat like a ribbon and wind knots like crazy after the wax washes out. It does not take long for the color and wax wash out too. I also thought it casted like sisal bailer twine because it got wooley right away. I couldn't get it to pack on the spool for nothin either. I almost had to soak the spool in water before started my day. Really bad stuff...

I use spider wire stealth when braid is called for. It stays round and shoots through the guides like a rocket. It holds it's color and treatment for a very long time and takes abuse better than anything I have found. I have 20lb green spider wire stealth on a spinner bait rod that I use frequently. I am about 95% sure that I put that line on in 2005. It is still dark green and it's not wooley at all.

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2012, 08:43 PM »
I've never had problems with Power pro.  I'm also not concerned with fading. The line is still strong when color fades.

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Thanks guys ! I read all my issues with power pro ! Wind knots , flat after heavy use . Breaks easier than others I've tried . I use 20# green . I always liked spider wire for strength , I haven't used it in many years because it went flat . I will have to try the new spider wire . I also have Berkley Pro braid that I haven't tried yet . Suffix worked great ,but seem to wear out quick .

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.