FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Favorite Brand of Braid  (Read 10946 times)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Favorite Brand of Braid
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2012, 10:33 PM »
The original spiderwire that came in a red box was tricky stuff to fish and had very limited application. It dug into the spool and was more trouble than it was worth. You also had to superglue the knots... no thanks...

The Stealth Spiderwire in the purple box seems to be the best of the litter for me now. Good knot strength (with palomar knot), stays round, does not dig in, stays round, no wind knots, and casts surprisingly smooth. It still slices through soft green weeds like a razor wire too. Did I mention that it stays round? ;D

It's not for ice or freezing temps though. It freezes to the spool and everything else, it'll give ya fits! ;D

Basstracker

« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2012, 06:59 AM »
Thanks guys ! I read all my issues with power pro ! Wind knots , flat after heavy use . Breaks easier than others I've tried . I use 20# green . I always liked spider wire for strength , I haven't used it in many years because it went flat . I will have to try the new spider wire . I also have Berkley Pro braid that I haven't tried yet . Suffix worked great ,but seem to wear out quick .

Yup... Spider wire kicked themself in the rear end when they got rid of their original braid. Ever since they stopped making the original Spider Wire braid I throw suffix. I prefer fluorocarbon now... I can throw up to 30 lb and still cast just as far as I did with braid and get just as many if not more bites. I used to use braid on more than one rod and now I rarely use that rod at all. 20lb fluorocarbon barely has any stretch and is just as strong as the braided line from my experiences. I use P Line Fluorocarbon... 6-30 lb depending on the application.

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2012, 07:31 AM »
The original spiderwire that came in a red box was tricky stuff to fish and had very limited application. It dug into the spool and was more trouble than it was worth. You also had to superglue the knots... no thanks...

The Stealth Spiderwire in the purple box seems to be the best of the litter for me now. Good knot strength (with palomar knot), stays round, does not dig in, stays round, no wind knots, and casts surprisingly smooth. It still slices through soft green weeds like a razor wire too. Did I mention that it stays round? ;D

It's not for ice or freezing temps though. It freezes to the spool and everything else, it'll give ya fits! ;D
Thanks Skipper ! I'm definitely gonna give spider stealth a try ! I don't know why the power pro wears out so quick ? Maybe I fish too much lol !  ROUND line is huge thing to me !  I hate wind knots ! 

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

stripernut

« Reply #18 on: Apr 21, 2012, 07:58 AM »
Check out Cortland's "Master Braid". Cortland makes many of the braids for other companies and if they were better at marketing (like Berkley) they would own the market. I have fished most all of the brands and Master Braid blows away everything else, The color does not fade (in 5 years with the same line on some spools) and it is incredibly tough. Much more than Power Pro. I am sure that some one will find something about it that does not "Match" their style of fishing, but for all the styles of fishing that I do, I have found none better.
One more note if you are fishing party boats that do not want you to fish braids, try Cortland's "Black Spot", it has a tracer of Dacron (with the spectra) that make it easier to untangle and knot , but still gives you the advantages of braid.

Bass to mouth

« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2012, 10:34 AM »
power pro was ok but would dig into itself on the spool when caught up on something and is stiff so doesn't cast as far,I can say the same thing for spider stealth braid which i'm currently useing. nothing has the all around of what I want from braid like suffix 20lb,i wanted to save a buck now i regret not buying suffix.

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2012, 06:44 PM »
power pro was ok but would dig into itself on the spool when caught up on something and is stiff so doesn't cast as far,I can say the same thing for spider stealth braid which i'm currently useing. nothing has the all around of what I want from braid like suffix 20lb,i wanted to save a buck now i regret not buying suffix.
I would have to agree 100% on power pro . It seems strong but It does bite into the spool a bit . I really liked suffix when I first used it . Although it seemed to break easier after being worn in . Has anyone tried hi-seas brand ?

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Anybody try Seaguar Kanzen yet?

fishingkid97

• Fish on!
« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Hey mm I have used stealth and ez braid from Spiderwire in my opinion ez braid is better just because it cast like a bullet and is smooth like mono its The best of both worlds
Let's play the fish

waterwolf603

« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2012, 08:18 AM »
so I know I said power pro earlier, I just bought some seagar 20lb braid and it is such a thin diameter and casts a mile, it isnt as stiff as power pro either.
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

PeterSaloom

« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:49 AM »
This thread is useful. Definitely gave me some things to consider.  :tipup:

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #25 on: Apr 23, 2012, 01:10 PM »
so I know I said power pro earlier, I just bought some seagar 20lb braid and it is such a thin diameter and casts a mile, it isnt as stiff as power pro either.

I am considering trying it, Let me know how it lasts after a couple of times fishing with it

waterwolf603

« Reply #26 on: Apr 23, 2012, 01:17 PM »
I am considering trying it, Let me know how it lasts after a couple of times fishing with it

will do

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2012, 02:31 PM »
I like seager products ! I use it for ice fishing leaders (flurocarbon) It's something I might have to try with the braid !?

waterwolf603

« Reply #28 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:00 PM »
I use seagar fluoro leader when I steelhead fish and love it, so far so good with the braid I will post after a few more trips with it

PeterSaloom

« Reply #29 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:02 PM »
I like seager products ! I use it for ice fishing leaders (flurocarbon) It's something I might have to try with the braid !?

SEAGUAR FLOURO LEADER IS AWESOME FOR HARD WATER.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.