FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Favorite Brand of Braid  (Read 10948 times)

Basstracker

Re: Favorite Brand of Braid
« Reply #30 on: Apr 23, 2012, 04:16 PM »
I prefer straight fluorocarbon... Only thing I really use braid for now is saltwater fishing or flipping heavy cover for bass.

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #31 on: Apr 23, 2012, 05:26 PM »
I use seagar fluoro leader when I steelhead fish and love it, so far so good with the braid I will post after a few more trips with it
Is the Seager braid sold at specific stores or online ? I know Dicks has flurocarbon , not sure on braid though ?

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #32 on: Apr 23, 2012, 05:52 PM »
I'll try the seaguar as soon as cabelas has it. All braid is a pain to fish, there is much room for improvement!

waterwolf603

« Reply #33 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:38 AM »
Is the Seager braid sold at specific stores or online ? I know Dicks has flurocarbon , not sure on braid though ?

I actually got it at my local tackle shop in manchester, I didnt even know seagar made braid until I saw it the other day. Wildlife Taxidermy is where I got it.
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

Basstracker

« Reply #34 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:44 AM »
I actually got it at my local tackle shop in manchester, I didnt even know seagar made braid until I saw it the other day. Wildlife Taxidermy is where I got it.

I saw it somewhere... I wanna say it was the Kittery Trading Post but I can't be certain.

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #35 on: Apr 24, 2012, 09:18 AM »
I'll try the seaguar as soon as cabelas has it. All braid is a pain to fish, there is much room for improvement!
I know I will NEVER go back to mono and I don't see flurocarbon casting as well on a spinning reel .

Tuna Meltdown

« Reply #36 on: Apr 24, 2012, 10:51 AM »
I stopped using Power Pro when I read some horror stories about it's inconsistency resulting in a lot of lost fish.  I have heard that it has gotten better since Shimano bought Power pro.  All my tuna reels are loaded with Jerry Brown 200 pound Hollow core spectra.  This stuff is tough.  It will saw through anchor and lobster pot lines if a fish is on the other end and not break.  Jerry Brown also has a line of solid spectra.  I have been using this almost exclusively when braid is called for in freshwater without issue.  
http://www.bhptackle.com/home.php?cat=177

fishsluggos

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #38 on: Apr 24, 2012, 05:18 PM »
http://www.bluemarlinchronicles.com/fins-fishing-line.htm
Nice ! But which one ? Windtamer ? or XS extra smooth ? And has anyone used either one ?

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #39 on: Apr 24, 2012, 05:28 PM »
I just found this .

When FINS introduced XS, their first 8 strand braid, the fishing world took notice and the battle of the braids started to take shape … and the shape was round. FINS weaved together 8 ends of Spectra yarn to create a more natural product that requires less resin and fillers to create its smooth, round body. But the positive gains were not without their downfalls. Using 8 strands of the Spectra fibers is more costly. The other notable downside was limitation of not being able to produce a line under 20-pound tensile strength and .011-inch diameter. This created a new challenge for the group that started the braided line business. After receiving increased interest in lower tensiles, Dave Burch went to Honeywell and inquired about smaller diameter fibers and Honeywell created the product. Recently, the President of FINS made the announcement that light tackle anglers have been waiting to hear. The FINS XS 8 strand braided line is now available in 10 and 15 pound test. Designed for the angler that needs a smoother line with improved casting distance and increased abrasion resistance, the new FINS XS is kickin’ tails.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #40 on: Apr 24, 2012, 05:44 PM »
I know I will NEVER go back to mono and I don't see flurocarbon casting as well on a spinning reel .

You use braid for EVERYTHING? No wonder you are searching! Mono is still the best product for many applications.

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #41 on: Apr 24, 2012, 06:29 PM »
You use braid for EVERYTHING? No wonder you are searching! Mono is still the best product for many applications.
Ya everything ! Because I only rubber worm fish in heavy cover , trees ,stumps etc . Mono is junk in heavy cover ,unless you want to throw 20# cable  ! I have no problems with braid nor does my wife ! So if anyone can't use braid correctly ? I'll have my wife teach you . I am just always looking for better technology . Just like any other piece of fishing equipment . Every year there are improvements on line etc. This topic is to help the new comers to braid decide without wasting money on line that isn't as good as others . Just like mono and flurocarbon , some are better than others ! But its nice to hear feedback from actual users !!!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #42 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Most guys have a bunch of different tactics, I didn't imagine you only used one technique. Maybe it's time to shake it up a bit and try something new.

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #43 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Most guys have a bunch of different tactics, I didn't imagine you only used one technique. Maybe it's time to shake it up a bit and try something new.
Why break what isn't broken ? I caught 32 bass in 3 days (few hours each day ) my wife caught 18 . I don't see the need to buy a bunch of bells and whistles when my technique is doing great for me . If you want to see what my technique produces ? go look at my fishing folders on Facebook . Keith Poisant Sr. Don't miss the Five Pounder Club folder .

jtk2

« Reply #44 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:47 PM »
i also put braid on all my reels, it may not be the best for specific situations but it works just fine for me.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.