FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tiger musky?  (Read 10239 times)

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
Tiger musky?
« on: Apr 16, 2013, 05:22 PM »
My friend told me he caught a tiger musky in Quabog.  Anyone know if they are in there?  I didn't think there were. He swears it was one.
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

ebour

Re: Tiger musky?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2013, 05:28 PM »
Pics? I can't remember if they stocked em there i'll check

MrE1979

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2013, 05:57 PM »
He doesn't have any pics.  I don't believe there are any in there.  I am about 98% sure I just wanted confirmation
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

stitch

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2013, 06:28 PM »
some dumb a$$ could have dumped one.its not unheard of.

re-pete

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2013, 08:44 PM »
were they ever stocked in south pond  ??? ???

BassMaster12

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2013, 08:53 PM »
On the ocean state bait and tackle website I think it says they do stock them
_Icecold_ on the shanty

JBO112394

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:16 PM »
There are no tigers in Quaboag or South, and I don't believe they were ever stocked in either. Even if they were, it was not recently and tigers are sterile and can't reproduce, meaning they couldn't establish a spawning population. The odds of someone getting their hands on one, throwing it in there, surviving, and then being caught by someone else are almost zero. A more likely scenario is that it is a simple misidentification of a pike or pickerel.

MrE1979

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:55 PM »
A more likely scenario is that it is a simple misidentification of a pike or pickerel.

My thoughts exactly.  I have fished the crap outta the Bog.  I'll tell him he is 110% nuts.

dadiddy2304

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2013, 11:55 PM »
are there regular musky in the lake?

ebour

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2013, 06:37 AM »
No pure strain musky in mass, no tigers in quaboag either

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2013, 06:43 AM »
No pure strain musky in mass, no tigers in quaboag either
Tigers were put in Massapoag in Sharon.
Contributing blogger at www.wickedfishah.com

Thun

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2013, 07:13 AM »
Once a year we take a trip out to Chautauqua on the NY/PA line for Musky. Four of us make the trip each fall and usually everyone catches at least one. My bro in law caught a beautiful 21 lb'er last Sept. We're due for a 50 incher. We rent boats at the We Wan Chu and troll huge crankbaits with leadcore and Legend Perchbaits, Wiley's or Baker Baits about 3.5 MPH. You check out Chautauqua on the NY threads.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2013, 02:42 PM »
The Mass F&G website does show Quaboag Pond on the Pike/Muskie stocking program, but it looks like they haven't been stocked since before 1999. That's the first date on the report.
If they were stocked before then, and some have survived and spawned, it is possible that there could be some there today.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

ebour

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2013, 02:48 PM »
The Mass F&G website does show Quaboag Pond on the Pike/Muskie stocking program, but it looks like they haven't been stocked since before 1999. That's the first date on the report.
If they were stocked before then, and some have survived and spawned, it is possible that there could be some there today.
that's what happened with the pike but tigers are sterile and can't breed

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2013, 04:39 PM »
So all those huge muskies up in north country had to be manually stocked decades ago?

Maybe there's a difference between muskies and tiger muskies, or maybe the state biologist were wrong.
(The scientist in Jurassic Park were wrong)

Maybe the state didn;t check to see if they were getting "geldings" when they stocked the waters?  ;D

Seriously, if only tiger muskies are sterile, then unless they are very lucky and very evasive, they would probaby all be gone by now.
But I do stand by my hypothethis that mabe the pond was stocked with fertile muskies and they have been "busy" over the years,
(Oh well, I can hope can't I???)

"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.