FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crew/Rowers  (Read 2240 times)

LCMelon

Crew/Rowers
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Anyone else have issues with rowers on lakes and rivers? I was out the other day in my canoe, enjoying a nice quiet morning on the lake when a guy in a motor boat zooms over to me and announces on a bullhorn "excuse me sir, we'll be having some races in this area today so just be careful". first off i was tucked away in a cove and not anywhere near where the crew boats were going, and second im in a canoe pal. what am i gonna do, suddenly fly out in front of the race boats? sorry for the venting, but ive seen rowers on other lakes who think they own the water. just wondering if other people have had similar experiences and would like to share. thanks

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Crew/Rowers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42 AM »
Same problems here.  They completely shut down the STATE boat launch on one of my favorite lakes so the rowers can have their competitions.   You'd think they pay for water access or a fishing license...they don't...

sull155

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:57 AM »
YES!  I was on Cochituate on Tuesday afternoon and they completely took over north lake.  i was trolling the same area over and over and about ten boats just come bombing down right at me completely disregarding that i'm even there.  I was forced to leave at that point.  I've had issues at Quinsigamond too.  Last year some idiot rowed right over my line when i was trolling and got tangled in my line.  She freaked out on me like her lack of awareness and understanding was somehow my fault and was screaming at me not to crash into her when i headed over to unhook.  They are disrespectful to fishermen and act like what we are doing is a joke.  I understand that there are a limited amount of places that they can practice and race, but they need to realize that it is a public waterway and give us the respect that we deserve and we will give it back.  Now when i see them i'm already on the defensive because they act as if they own the water.  Does anyone know if they have to pay the state or town to use the lakes? 

LCMelon

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:17 AM »
i was at cochituate too. i think its mostly high school teams who practice there and the rowing usually stops after May, but its very annoying when other people think they own the lake and try to take it over. if i went out there in my boat and they had already been there, i would fish in other spots because they got there first. maybe next time i should paddle over and announce on a bullhorn that i will be fishing there and they should stay out of my way

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:51 PM »
Depending on the size of your boat, maybe you could stay put and let them get out of your way?

I haven't had any problems with crew, but weekend water-warriors on jet skis and once-a-month powerboats are another thing!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

manitron

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 03:46 PM »
Last weekend,I was shore fishing at Highland Lake in Goshen.All day long, these idiot kayakers kept launching and paddling 10 feet from shore around the perimeter of the lake.I had to keep pointing out that lines were in the water but most of them gave me a vacant stare and continued to thrash through the lines.I was not near any of the docks or ramps so location was not the issue.Upon leaving ,I did notice some idiot fishermen fishing from the public docks so I am sure they were equally exasperating to the boaters.I am still angry about the arrogance or stupidity of the kayakers and am contemplating a preemptive strike of some kind if I go back.  ??? >:( :cursing: :evil:

Baitbucket

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 04:14 PM »
As an avid shore fisherman, and kayak fisherman I could careless either way. Im more concerned about idiot drunks ripping around in motorboats not paying attention..

If a kayaker tangles lines when im off shore, no big deal, just untangle it and thats the end of it. Next time thru they know.

I have seen and heard of guys casting at boaters who get close.
In this day and age, your crazy doing things like that. Good way to get arrested or worse.

I was out with a buddy in his boat a few years back trolling. Second pass by this guy whips out a 1oz weight tied to his braid.
Went whizzing past us and landed in the water on the other side of us. Cant imagine if that hit one of us in the head.

My buddy grabbed the braid, wrapped it around his anchor tie down, and took off.. Spooled the guy in a matter of seconds..

otzi thawed

• Sit up and show up!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:56 PM »
I used to fish the Charles a lot back in the 80's and 90's from the Brighton ramp down the the locks in Boston. Had numerous run ins with scullers and the college crews. We wouldn't move for them. Someone engaged in the act of fishing has a right of way. At least that's how I remember rules regarding such matters.

TroutTroller

• Lund wc-14 3.5 horse merc...beats any day at work
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:28 PM »
I have had these issues with swimmers at Walden as well. I  tell them if I get a hit i'm setting the hook, if it is you getting to close to my troll the you will be my new personal best!  ;D A lot of these crazy big boaters and jet ski people on Peters pond as well. Many a times crazy things fly out of my boat at the wake makers 8) The worse of all are the rat pack that block every single boat ramp on every lake with 10 power bait rods, then they wanna give you looks cuz they have to reel up...I had one jackass at long pond say to us " I just casted ***censored****" "My reply you can cast but you can't frigging read?" I walk over to the sign that says " no fishing or blocking boat ramp" the guy just acts like it's not there. So we get out on the water he goes right back so I go by his area full throttle .......and say have a nice day!

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 07:13 AM »
My boat was struck by a skull boat on consigamond! I hate them with a passion. After having words with the to referees or watever they are, I hate them even more. If they even think about making contact with me again I am gonna make such a stink law enforcement will be required. I HAVE A RIGHT TO PUBLIC ACCESS! They take over the whole lake, its total ...... >:( If anyone knows where I can file my complaints, let me know!

MoreTroutPls

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:34 AM »
First, try being polite and informing them that you and they have the same access rights and that you all should respect each others rights so everyone can enjoy the waters.  Then tell them that if they intentionally interfere with your fishing that you will call the Environmental Police and have them arrested and fined for harassment under the MA anti-harassment law that protects fishermen and hunters.

You might also try contacting the rowing club and educating them on shared use of the the waterways.   I suspect most of the rowers have no clue about the anti-harassment laws.  A call or letter to the rowing club might start the education process.

Resorting to violence will only get you more in return and you might wind up telling your story to a judge.

BTW, recreational fishing and trolling does not count for right away for vessels engaged in fishing.  That is for commercial fishing/trawling operations.
Everyone believes in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.

manitron

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 08:28 AM »
As an avid shore fisherman, and kayak fisherman I could careless either way. Im more concerned about idiot drunks ripping around in motorboats not paying attention..

If a kayaker tangles lines when im off shore, no big deal, just untangle it and thats the end of it. Next time thru they know.

I have seen and heard of guys casting at boaters who get close.
In this day and age, your crazy doing things like that. Good way to get arrested or worse.

I was out with a buddy in his boat a few years back trolling. Second pass by this guy whips out a 1oz weight tied to his braid.
Went whizzing past us and landed in the water on the other side of us. Cant imagine if that hit one of us in the head.

My buddy grabbed the braid, wrapped it around his anchor tie down, and took off.. Spooled the guy in a matter of seconds..

I have no problem sharing the water with kayakers or anyone else if they respect everyone else and their endeavors.All they have to do is move out from shore to 25 or 30 feet so they do not tangle lines. It is not rocket science just courtesy.

Baitbucket

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 08:44 AM »

I have no problem sharing the water with kayakers or anyone else if they respect everyone else and their endeavors.All they have to do is move out from shore to 25 or 30 feet so they do not tangle lines. It is not rocket science just courtesy.

Indeed  :clapping:

Tuna Meltdown

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 10:35 AM »
I want to know how scull rowers can get away without having to wear life jackets?  Why doesn't the September 15 to May 15 Mandatory Life jacket law apply to them?  Hell, I'll bet they don't even have life jackets on board the sculls.  To me there is no difference whats so ever between a rowing scull, kayak, or canoe.

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 11:03 AM »
I want to know how scull rowers can get away without having to wear life jackets?  Why doesn't the September 15 to May 15 Mandatory Life jacket law apply to them?  Hell, I'll bet they don't even have life jackets on board the sculls.  To me there is no difference whats so ever between a rowing scull, kayak, or canoe.

After my situation I asked the same question to a EPO. He replied that because they are participating in athletic competition they are exempt. (this includes practice) He did state however that the chase or assist boats are required to have life jackets. Those with no athletic affiliation or not competing in a sanctioned race are not exempt. I expressed my concern about safety due to water temps at the time were in the 40s.

I have placed a call to the EPOs regarding this topic and hope to hear back soon. After which I will let you all know what their response is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.