FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Daaaaa Ditch  (Read 11461 times)

capedeer/fish

Re: Daaaaa Ditch
« Reply #30 on: Jun 26, 2015, 07:35 AM »
PIGS   are almost NEVER found on top......... I only have one fish under my belt over 40# from top water...and that just happened last year. If u want large...... go deep....... when the canal is boiling with fish and everyone is catching on top..... I'm below them....... looking for the larger of the school!
IndianHill Icetrap Pro Staff                                               SavageGear Product Tester         Dexter-Russell outdoors Pro Staff   ODM Rods Pro Staff

capedeer/fish

« Reply #31 on: Jun 26, 2015, 07:38 AM »
Vacation starts at sunrise. 11 days of fishing weather permitting. Spikes or no spikes  for ditch?
100%   spikes.
IndianHill Icetrap Pro Staff                                               SavageGear Product Tester         Dexter-Russell outdoors Pro Staff   ODM Rods Pro Staff

capedeer/fish

« Reply #32 on: Jun 26, 2015, 07:42 AM »
If anyone is interested...... I am Captain for Team Mass...in the state striper wars. A month long tournament to see what state has the best striper fisherman.  ALL other states are done fishing....just Mass and Maine are left (we pick our own 30 days). Team NY is in the lead with 770ish inches and done fishing.  Team Mass has until July 15th. We accumulated 500 inches in the first week! Check it out...........catch and release tournament. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Surfcasting-Inc-State-Striper-Wars/254242661408560?fref=ts

westernmas

« Reply #33 on: Jun 26, 2015, 07:52 AM »
That SP minnow is one of the best lures for the canal......and at 9$......price cant be beat. If someone asked me...what should I bring to the canal........  I'd say.....U NEED a green mac savage sand eel.....Yeah.... I'm on their staff...so you think I'd have to say that. NOT TRUE......this has EASILY been my number one canal producer and I fished them hard way before.

1...savage sand eel
 2... sp minnow  in silver or green mac
 3... white bucktail
 4... canal style (flat bottom) wooden pencil popper.........Maybe spend a lil extra on this one.... get something nice ( guppy,lefthook, etc)

Head to the canal with these 4 and you should really be looking good. If I could only pick one...... Savage sand eel.... It can be jigged...or just bounced.........can be swam in at mid column......or u can reel it in right on top.

Well it sounds like I am on the right track.  Now I just have to put in some hours.  I've yet to get one on the savages but will definitely throw them more after your suggestions.  It is just so hard to see fish busting at the surface and not turn to something for the upper section of the water column.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Yachtzy

« Reply #34 on: Jun 26, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Thanks for the info Colby, lead team MA to victory!

Ctownfisherman

« Reply #35 on: Jun 26, 2015, 08:08 AM »
That holds true only until one point in a canal fishermans career. When they fish next to capedeer/fish and see the difference between a 15# top water hit on a pencil or seeing colby pull multiple 30#+ right next to you on jigs. Same school just a very different but proven big fish tactic.

Kids a dedicated fishing machine.

Glad I am lucky to have time on the ditch with him.

Keep it up brother!

Baitbucket

« Reply #36 on: Jun 26, 2015, 09:40 AM »
That SP minnow is one of the best lures for the canal......and at 9$......price cant be beat. If someone asked me...what should I bring to the canal........  I'd say.....U NEED a green mac savage sand eel.....Yeah.... I'm on their staff...so you think I'd have to say that. NOT TRUE......this has EASILY been my number one canal producer and I fished them hard way before.

1...savage sand eel

Colby, have you ever tried the Bill Hurley soft plastics. He has one that looks alot like the Savage Eel, but much cheaper.

lowaccord66

« Reply #37 on: Jun 26, 2015, 09:44 AM »
Colby is a machine for sure.  I like to think I give him a run for the money when I'm down there but we fish much differently.  When we team up the bass run (no literally they do!)  

My favorites that have taken a few thousand pounds of bass:

1. Ron z 5 oz 10" black tail.  
2.  Dead eel on a jig
3. Stick Shadd (pb was on one.  52" released)
4. 9" tsunami shad.

I can fish with just those and do very well.   Hurleys work well too but some nights I've had it where the eel and hurley get ignored while the ron-z gets blasted and vice versa.  I've landed a few up to he high 30's on them.  Replace his head with one with a heavy duty mustad to avoid hook breakage on big fish.

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: Jun 26, 2015, 10:20 AM »
PIGS   are almost NEVER found on top......... I only have one fish under my belt over 40# from top water...and that just happened last year. If u want large...... go deep....... when the canal is boiling with fish and everyone is catching on top..... I'm below them....... looking for the larger of the school!

x10000000!  Media reports will lead you to think the place bpils over with 40's every morning....I'd trust what this guy wrote above as highly accurate.  Once you learn to do it right you can pull bass much more consistantly there.

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #39 on: Jun 27, 2015, 07:54 AM »
Colby, have you ever tried the Bill Hurley soft plastics. He has one that looks alot like the Savage Eel, but much cheaper.

I hope that they are biodegradable baits Will.   ;) ;D
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #40 on: Jun 30, 2015, 04:12 PM »
Been here at the ditch since Friday . Getting out in between family stuff. 2 so far. 30" and 32" both on the savage eel. Mackeral color. Killed some time bait fishing today at the west end. Something I rarely do. Was hoping for a couple sea bass for the table. Managed a tautog and small sea robin. Back to jigging just before dark. Pics when I get home.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #41 on: Jun 30, 2015, 04:21 PM »
That holds true only until one point in a canal fishermans career. When they fish next to capedeer/fish and see the difference between a 15# top water hit on a pencil or seeing colby pull multiple 30#+ right next to you on jigs. Same school just a very different but proven big fish tactic.

Kids a dedicated fishing machine.

Glad I am lucky to have time on the ditch with him.

Keep it up brother!
you got that right Dave. I too have gotten some time on the canal with him. He is unbelievable. Knows his stuff for sure. Beat that NY team Captin!!
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

deerhunter

« Reply #42 on: Jun 30, 2015, 05:31 PM »
the canal has never been good to me. haven't fished it in 3 years. oh well.

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #43 on: Jun 30, 2015, 07:31 PM »
Colby I am headed down there Thursday night till Sunday.  Any chance we could meet up and you can get me my first ditch stripah?
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

capedeer/fish

« Reply #44 on: Jun 30, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Colby I am headed down there Thursday night till Sunday.  Any chance we could meet up and you can get me my first ditch stripah?

I'll be out for sure....do u have a bike???  Its KEY...fish are ,moving quick this year....... TIDES are correct....yesterday was good...today great...... tomorrow..... EPIC!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.