FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new to me  (Read 9926 times)

Eastciderida

new to me
« on: Nov 17, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Decided not to spend a ton of money on a boat picked up this bad little fishing machine for 850. Good running 2 stroke 20hp downriggers ton of rod holders. Only thing it needs is a good vacuum and next year a new floor which I'm pumped about. Has aluminum stringers so no having to rebuild the support just cut a new floor glass it and thinking some vinyl cover instead of carpet. Off to the q next year.

Baitbucket

Re: new to me
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2015, 05:54 PM »
Nice man!!! I got the same boat i think lol. You got a great deal. I picked mine up for $2500 with a new 2005 25hp 4 Stroke. Also needed new floors. I got it tagged for Quabbin and spent as much time as possible out there.

What gate do you plan to launch from?

Here is mine with the new floor and seats.

Eastciderida

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Looks like the same floor plan. How long did the floor take you?  Think it's gate 8 I fish the big long section. Candle and bait shop right at end of the road. 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Congratulations Eastciderida..  I wish you many happy outings on it.... :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Eastciderida

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2015, 08:25 PM »
So it's 45 for quabinn seal and only 8 bucks to park every time you drop in?

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2015, 05:39 AM »
So it's 45 for quabinn seal and only 8 bucks to park every time you drop in?

The seal is 45 but u only have to do that once. It carries over year to year so its free, unless you use the boat on another body of water or break the seal. They also do free tagging twice a year in the winter. Parking is 8$ per trip or 50$ for a season pass. Season pass pays for itself pretty quick.

The floor didnt take long at all. If the carpet is still in tact you can use it as a template. If not, try to keep the old flooring together as best you can. Which will be hard to do if its the same plywood stuff i had. Came out in pieces. The boards are pop riveted to the aluminum cross beams, so youll have to drill those out. There is also blown in foam under the flooring which the wood will most likely be stuck to.

I stripped the old carpet and wood out in a couple hours. Shop Vac'd and scrubbed down the inside (i used diluted bleach/water) and rinsed it. Then gave it a couple days in the hot sun to dry out any moisture that was in there.

I launch out of 31 as it is the closest to me and provides excellent bass fishing areas and a short ride to productive laker/salmon spots. Gate 8 is primarily known for the salmon and lakers. Long, skinny, and straight makes it great for trolling. Its not known for its bass fishing tho. In speaking to the Rangers they will confirm that bass arent as plentiful as the other side.

Here is a couple pics of the the floor in progress.

Old flooring (very spongy in main traffic area):

Kids liked it =)

Eastciderida

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Good idea with cutting the carpet and using as template will make it so much easier. The foam in mine is just small little pod section nothing like that but going to strip it's saturated. What foam did you use?  Also not sure how it's conceded to the stringers. Going to probably cut carpet before winter and work on cutting the new plywood.

Baitbucket

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2015, 09:20 AM »
I didnt replace the foam. It was wet, but a couple days in the sun and it was bone dry. Be prepared to do a little trimming on the new plywood to get it to fit. As the boat tapers and narrows as you go down, the ply wood is not as wide as the carpet. Just test fit till is sits snug. Belt sander works well for trimming it down and tapering the edges.

Also, not sure if you are aware, but i believe pressure treated wood is a no no. The chemicals and aluminum dont play well. I used regular 1/2in ply and sealed it with some Thompsons mold/mildew resistant water sealant (deck seal) on the top. sides, and bottom. But my boat has a cover when not in use in the yard and sits in a garage in the winter. So it sees very little water inside. The carpet is simple outdoor mold/mildew resistant carpet. It was super cheap and easier on the feet than vinyl, especially for the kids.

fish wayniac

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2015, 06:52 PM »
That is going to be a mint boat for the 💰.When I replaced the floor in my welded aluminum crest liner I discovered water logged foam. I dug it all out and replaced with foundation foam. Cut to fit between the stringers with layers of 2 inch and 1 inch to get to just below the plywood.Good luck with your boat project.

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2015, 09:35 PM »
If you replace the foam use a closed cell foam. Reason being is it will reject more water than open cell foam.
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

xjbob99

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:20 AM »
awesome boats! $850.00 for the boat+$3000.00 in electronics, lures, poles, etc. haha whoever told me fishing was cheap didnt own a boat.  :D

heres mine. im trying to find a 20/25hp to make it into the quabbin.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:31 AM »
great boat have some fun with it
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:40 PM »
awesome boats! $850.00 for the boat+$3000.00 in electronics, lures, poles, etc. haha whoever told me fishing was cheap didnt own a boat.  :D

heres mine. im trying to find a 20/25hp to make it into the quabbin.

Get some new decals for your motor.  It could be a 20hp motor for a few $$
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

xjbob99

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2015, 05:49 AM »
Get some new decals for your motor.  It could be a 20hp motor for a few $$

lol.... a 50hp 4 cylinder is hard to disguise as a 20hp. little bit of a size difference

Eastciderida

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Taking it out tomorrow morning for a good test ride. Seafoamed the engine and fresh gas have the motor running first turn of the key. Hope it's idle speed is not to fast for trolling. Need to get a cheap fish finder and test out the bilge pump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.