FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hobie newbie  (Read 10719 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Hobie newbie
« Reply #45 on: Sep 02, 2016, 02:32 PM »
When I was using circle hooks with eels I continual gut hooked the fish and just had to cut the line in hopes that the hook would rust out.  I always like to release fish as unharmed as possible and was disappointed being forced to leave the hook in there.  I had a little bit better luck with the octopus hooks so maybe it is tough to get a good hook set in the mouth with eels.  Was I doing something wrong?

I think its very important for everyone to realize that no matter what you do gut hooked fish are going to happen...to me, to you, to anyone, regardless of hopk type or skill level of the angler involved.  We are all equal there...so with that said I'd politely suggest that the only thing you did wrong is not having a hook removal tool to get the hook out.  9/10 if you can see the hook you can turn it out.  Sometimes if it isn't showing you can pull the leader very gently to get the shank to show and then turn it out.  At the end of the day, if you have to cut one and leave it I would't sweat it too much, it happens and should rust out quickly.  One question is what size hook were you using.  I see lots of guys use 3/0, 4/0, 5/0 which simply isnt big enough.  7/0 or 8/0 is much more desirable and the wider gap makes it a bit harder to get in their gullet.  Hope that helps.

Knot there yet

« Reply #46 on: Sep 04, 2016, 03:21 PM »
New PB 28lbs 42" fish. In a morring field. It  was a good chase to keep him in front of me. Only snagged 3 pogies. Only needed one. Now the storm is coming.

Knot there yet

« Reply #47 on: Sep 08, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Epic night last night. Three fish landed. Lost two more all cows around 40". My arms are spent from all the reeling. While loading yak on roof it slid off truck and the back end smashed me in the face. Thought I was going down but caught myself just in time. Saw some stars thought I might have knocked out some teeth. To my surprise they're all still there. No black eye but cheek is real sore. I'll be securing the bow line from now on.

Baitbucket

« Reply #48 on: Sep 08, 2016, 12:15 PM »
Ouch, those hobie arent light either. The bright side is, it probably saved you a couple hundred bucks in replacing your rudder and assembly.

I just picked up a cheap Bass Pro Ascend Kayak for local waters between quabbin seasons. Its not a salt worthy yak tho.

Been eyeing the new Propel Drive Hurricane Skimmer 120 for that.

boondox

« Reply #49 on: Sep 08, 2016, 12:33 PM »
.so with that said I'd politely suggest that the only thing you did wrong is not having a hook removal tool to get the hook out. 

Now shouldn't there be a rule on that? I know Florida in the Gulf of mexiCo it's required to have a hook out tool and a devent tool. On every vessel and for bait fishing circles hook are all that's aloud.. now you would think there should be a rule on that in the alantic in your state? Or not?  what do you guys gals  think? Me personally have sabiki out aND a lager fish DEgouger and s venter for life tool..  So any thoughts on it?

lowaccord66

« Reply #50 on: Sep 08, 2016, 01:18 PM »
Now shouldn't there be a rule on that? I know Florida in the Gulf of mexiCo it's required to have a hook out tool and a devent tool. On every vessel and for bait fishing circles hook are all that's aloud.. now you would think there should be a rule on that in the alantic in your state? Or not?  what do you guys gals  think? Me personally have sabiki out aND a lager fish DEgouger and s venter for life tool..  So any thoughts on it?

The anti govt in me says I don't need a law for something that should be common sense.  Then again I see lots of people continue fishing for stripers catch and release after obtaining their limit which is illegal so t a law like that may not make any difference.

boondox

« Reply #51 on: Sep 08, 2016, 03:15 PM »
The anti govt in me says I don't need a law for something that should be common sense.  Then again I see lots of people continue fishing for stripers catch and release after obtaining their limit which is illegal so t a law like that may not make any difference.

I can see why you don't want it you forget something like a venting tool or a degouger they could ticket you. Kinda like the coast guard with fire extinguishers. Writing tickets.. but your right Iam sure you got similar problems with people taking illegal catches. Like with our king salmon on the west side people ware costumes so to avoid law enforcement. Like wigs glasses etc pretty funny kinda a circus when the run starts. The other point is does your state print a rap phone number on your back of your licences? Like our state does? Rap is a report all poaching hot line number.. maybe your state should have citizens report to the c/o so they have a citizens watch group if any thing.. it does work up here .. but like said people don't care .. so they still get by some times.. only suggestion no biggie..

Knot there yet

« Reply #52 on: Sep 13, 2016, 08:53 AM »
First time ever two Pogies on one cast

Knot there yet

« Reply #53 on: Sep 14, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Wow bluefish on it pure crazy.
 Extreme fishing hooks and teeth not much room to work with. The old days I'd just have smashed the blue over the head but now release is tricky. I was very happy when they shuck off. I fish heavy line I thought 30lbs mono. Two Break  offs above steel leader. The pogies were huge. The bite radius on the ones I got half back was 7-8".  The only time I can remember a break off on 30lbs was when I got two blues on the same lure.Some wind and chop made it even more of a challenge. I was on,off and back on the roof of truck in just over an hour. Both pole stripped of thier gear.
 May have to up the whole setup rod and reel. Go conventional reels and 50-80#heavy line even wire maybe for next year.

boondox

« Reply #54 on: Sep 14, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Wow bluefish on it pure crazy.
 Extreme fishing hooks and teeth not much room to work with. The old days I'd just have smashed the blue over the head but now release is tricky. I was very happy when they shuck off. I fish heavy line I thought 30lbs mono. Two Break  offs above steel leader. The pogies were huge. The bite radius on the ones I got half back was 7-8".  The only time I can remember a break off on 30lbs was when I got two blues on the same lure.Some wind and chop made it even more of a challenge. I was on,off and back on the roof of truck in just over an hour. Both pole stripped of thier gear.
 May have to up the whole setup rod and reel. Go conventional reels and 50-80#heavy line even wire maybe for next year.

Small lemon shark?? Like black tip etc etc.. sharks??

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #55 on: Sep 14, 2016, 01:47 PM »
here's a cool kayaking video with my buddy landing a big assed cobia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kDMpcYRB9o

Knot there yet

« Reply #56 on: Nov 30, 2016, 11:02 AM »
Turbo fins or not to turbo fin?
Sailing rudder a must add on going on.
New fish Finder mount but placement is scary . Anybody put rails on? You

Baitbucket

« Reply #57 on: Nov 30, 2016, 02:45 PM »
Turbo fins or not to turbo fin?
Sailing rudder a must add on going on.
New fish Finder mount but placement is scary . Anybody put rails on? You

The first two upgrades i did to both my Hobies was Sailing Rudder and Turbo Fins. I would go with both for sure.

I have also put rails on mine as well. I believe i used yakattaks and cut them down. I also use the Scotty Gear Heads that you can slide anywhere u want in the rail.

I would suggest leaving one side of the yak clear of holders/fishfinder, etc.. Incase you ever flip the yak and need to get back in, nothing is in the way.

Here are a couple pics.

Eastciderida

« Reply #58 on: Dec 11, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Let me know when you head out come spring time I'm looking to make some trips out on the salt and still learning how to fish for strippers and saltwater fishing in general. Just picked up an old town predator mx and would love to get towed by a big fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.