FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: drone fishing  (Read 14625 times)

trophyhntr

drone fishing
« on: Apr 04, 2017, 08:25 PM »
so I just recently bought a drone. a relatively big reason for my purchase was to use it to carry my lines out. my question to you guys is, do you think this would be allowed at wachusett? I plan to just do so until I am confronted, i'm sure they will come up with some sort of nonsense reason as to why it's not allowed. until then if you see someone with a drone it's most likely me... hoping to get it out this weekend but I still have to figure out how to rig it up and make some test runs with it.

stripernut

Re: drone fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2017, 06:43 AM »
I believe they will tell you it is a no fly zone and give you a big ticket and take away your drone. If you loose it in the water, the fine would go way up. I don't have a problem with dropping a line/bait with a drone (many do), but I don't think that you can get away with it at the Chu or the Q...

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2017, 07:07 AM »
Bring your check book. You'll need it
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2017, 08:16 AM »
 :nono: :police:
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

LENZ

• Member of the G.O.D.S
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2017, 08:54 AM »
no fly zone, never mind the ticket, you'll probably be arrested.
soft water fishin' is for softies

burp

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2017, 08:55 AM »
I havent seen anything that says you cant.. I have heard of others doing it and rangers asked that they dont. But that was last year, they may have regs now. I would ask...

Quabbin passed regulations last Dec that prohibit them.

http://www.telegram.com/news/20161213/drones-not-welcome-at-quabbin-reservoir

All drones must now be registered as well.

http://www.mymassachusettsdefenselawyer.com/massachusetts-drone-laws/

Here is a link to a video a guy took and was asked by the rangers to not use his drone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_cHteykR3s

He says the rangers did tell him:

They said, that while they do not have any specific policies pertaining to drones yet, and that the airspace is technically not a no-fly zone, they kindly requested for me to cease flying above the reservoir side, due to the fact that it is 'drinking water' and they wish to avoid any complicating accidents. They did however approve for me to fly on the opposite side of the dam by the water fountain.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2017, 10:47 AM »
That's great....make up for poor casting skills by spending hundreds on a toy that you hope will do the job.

Wonder what you will do if it happens to crash and sink beyond you casting range?
Do they make a "drone retrieval system" for such occasions?
Maybe you can also bring an RC boat, in case the drone goes for a swim?

But then you won't be able to bring your fishing gear without using a shopping cart.

Sorry, but drone fishing is just a waste of money for a lazy "angler" who has too much time/money on their hands.

Don't forget that someone may take exception to your drone usage, claiming you were spying on them, and take your toy down with a well timed/aimed shot. It's already been an issue while ice fishing, so open water would be next.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Baitbucket

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2017, 10:58 AM »
That's great....make up for poor casting skills by spending hundreds on a toy that you hope will do the job.

Wonder what you will do if it happens to crash and sink beyond you casting range?
Do they make a "drone retrieval system" for such occasions?
Maybe you can also bring an RC boat, in case the drone goes for a swim?

But then you won't be able to bring your fishing gear without using a shopping cart.

Sorry, but drone fishing is just a waste of money for a lazy "angler" who has too much time/money on their hands.

Don't forget that someone may take exception to your drone usage, claiming you were spying on them, and take your toy down with a well timed/aimed shot. It's already been an issue while ice fishing, so open water would be next.

Poor casting?  Some have a range of over 20 miles, which would allow you to drop bait any where u had the line to reach. Equipped with a camera you can use it to spot fish and drop bait on them. Guys have been doing it for years catching tuna from shore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdUZqOoAq4

As for shooting it down, id advise against it. Shooting things because you dont like them is a good way to end up in jail...

Dudes facing 2 felony charges..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHWuC0IWobg

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2017, 11:24 AM »
no fly zone, never mind the ticket, you'll probably be arrested.

Shucks I guess that means my drone idea with dropping depth charges is out of the question.  >:(

Had the math all figured out for wash up on shore of fish depending on wind speed and wind direction! ::)

;D ;D ;D

Just having a little fun here trophyhntr. No offense meant.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Poor casting?  Some have a range of over 20 miles, which would allow you to drop bait any where u had the line to reach. Equipped with a camera you can use it to spot fish and drop bait on them. Guys have been doing it for years catching tuna from shore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdUZqOoAq4

As for shooting it down, id advise against it. Shooting things because you dont like them is a good way to end up in jail...

Dudes facing 2 felony charges..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHWuC0IWobg

Not facing anything.... Charges dismissed by a judge who ruled his privacy and the privacy of his daughters was invaded... As well as federal courts dismissing lawsuits brought on by the drones owner/operator...

Baitbucket

« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Not facing anything.... Charges dismissed by a judge who ruled his privacy and the privacy of his daughters was invaded... As well as federal courts dismissing lawsuits brought on by the drones owner/operator...

Only in Kentucky lol... Altho the drone owner is appealing it, and will most likely win..

Hes lucky, as it is a felony. According to the federal law, 18 USC S 32, anyone who willfully 'sets fire to, damages, destroys, or wrecks an aircraft' will be fined or imprisoned no more than 20 years or both. And the FAA says drones fall into the category of 'aircraft' and threatening anyone operating a drone is also punishable with jail time.

Dont get me wrong, im sure its annoying. But so is getting cut off in traffic. Im not sure the judge would buy the "he annoyed me so i blew his car off the road with my shotgun" excuse lol..

Lundin-loading

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2017, 12:48 PM »

Dont get me wrong, im sure its annoying. But so is getting cut off in traffic. Im not sure the judge would buy the "he annoyed me so i blew his car off the road with my shotgun" excuse lol..

Would you consider a peeping tom peering through your homes windows in the night an annoyance?
Beauty

LENZ

• Member of the G.O.D.S
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2017, 02:01 PM »
how would you fly a drone, drop off the bait and then fish? hands are tied up flying drone until it gets back.
can't stand the things personally. i have seen one in my neighborhood last summer. buzzing around peoples back yards.
it wasn't in the air too long.
burp
soft water fishin' is for softies

burp

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2017, 02:01 PM »
Only in Kentucky lol... Altho the drone owner is appealing it, and will most likely win..

Hes lucky, as it is a felony. According to the federal law, 18 USC S 32, anyone who willfully 'sets fire to, damages, destroys, or wrecks an aircraft' will be fined or imprisoned no more than 20 years or both. And the FAA says drones fall into the category of 'aircraft' and threatening anyone operating a drone is also punishable with jail time.

I've been following the "Drone Slayer" since the incident took place... I'm not sure what you've seen that would make you believe Boggs "will most likely win" but I may have missed something.
I am at a loss of understanding how you compare being cut off in traffic to someone hovering over your teenage daughter with a camera while she sunbathes in the privacy of her backyard but whatever... more power to you.

My apologies to the op for going off your topic.

Baitbucket

« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2017, 02:21 PM »
I am at a loss of understanding how you compare being cut off in traffic to someone hovering over your teenage daughter with a camera while she sunbathes in the privacy of her backyard but whatever... more power to you.

My apologies to the op for going off your topic.

It was never proven (even with the camera) that he was doing any spying on this guys kid. Point is, shooting them down is illegal and carries fines and jail time up to 20yrs.. If u wanna do it, go for it..

Would you consider a peeping tom peering through your homes windows in the night an annoyance?

Youve been watching to much TV lol

how would you fly a drone, drop off the bait and then fish? hands are tied up flying drone until it gets back.
can't stand the things personally. i have seen one in my neighborhood last summer. buzzing around peoples back yards.
it wasn't in the air too long.
burp

Set the rod in a holder, open the bail, fly the bait out and drop it off. The drone will return and land on its own.

Anyway, i get the animosity towards them. People dont like change. There was alot of hate for the electric augers a couple years ago, now i see more of them than gas augers. A drone would have just been another tool for fisherman to reach areas they would never have been able to reach. Or scout for structure otherwise unseen from shore. All it would take is one guy to have a banner day and you would see 20 of them out there the next weekend. Unfortunately, this is immediately shot down (pun intended) due to the fear of those uneducated about the topic and making decisions on something they know very little about.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.