FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: drone fishing  (Read 14626 times)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
Re: drone fishing
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2017, 03:53 PM »
"another tool for fishermen"????

I thought that boats and knowledge were the tools an angler needed to find fish.  ;D

When you start relying on external sources/gadgets to "help" you find fish, you're going to get bored and frustrated if you can't catch more fish, even though you can see them from the drone video feed. Kind of like the reaction an angler gets when he doles out $$ for the "latest fad lure" and still can't catch fish.

I think that this will be just another passing fad that suckers people into spending money on a relatively "one dimensional" toy.
Add to that the fact that they are NOISY, and you can see why some people don't like them.

The probability of someone targeting a drone would be more in the lines of what had been mentioned earlier (drone hovering over backyard while daughter sunbathes) where the person felt an invasion of privacy, and possible security.
Who could say what the drone was doing, or being used for? How would a person know what YOUR intentions are?

They have been used during the latest ice fishing season, and had the same complaints. People using drones to see who was catching and where, so the drone owner could crowd the first angler out of that spot (spot-jumping / mugging).

All I can say is that repurposing a toy in the manner / use you intend may draw more criticism than praise. Not right or wrong, just that it may happen.

I seriously hope you do enjoy it, and can prove me wrong as to it usefulness.
(God knows I hate people finding out after the fact that they may have wasted good money)

In any case, I wish you "Good luck!"

"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2017, 05:58 PM »

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2017, 06:35 PM »
I want for the Chu .... Lmao ;D..Will some one carry that into the rook for me :-\
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

Baitbucket

« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2017, 06:53 PM »
I want for the Chu .... Lmao ;D..Will some one carry that into the rook for me :-\

If u cant use drones, could you imagine what would happen if you rolled up with that thing lol

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2017, 06:07 AM »
Lmao
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2017, 08:56 AM »

I thought that boats and knowledge were the tools an angler needed to find fish.  

But you can't use boats on the Chu. And if you haven't noticed we are using a lot of tools like downriggers, outriggers, fish finders, side finders, etc. etc.  

When you start relying on external sources/gadgets to "help" you find fish, you're going to get bored and frustrated if you can't catch more fish, even though you can see them from the drone video feed. Kind of like the reaction an angler gets when he doles out $$ for the "latest fad lure" and still can't catch fish.

That's what was said about fishfinders when they first came out. One state, Minnesota, wanted to outlaw them.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2017, 09:28 AM »
There's a lot of those "cannon-casters" on youtube that you can see.
My point posting that link was only to show another alternative way to get the job done.

Think about it for minute.
What people are saying here is maybe what cavemen said when a guy told them he was going to float out into the pond on a log to get better access to the fish.
 :o

Throughout history man has created toys/tools to help us fish.

I ice fished back in the 70's on a bucket with a hand-made jigging rod that most of you would laugh at.
But I caught fish.

Nowadays we have flip up "quilted" huts, led hut lighting, power augers, Vex's, sonars, GPS units, underwater cameras, hut heaters, float suits, you name it..............

What about fishing out of boat???
Look at the endless array of electronics that get introduced every year.
Electric downriggers that tie into your graph to follow the bottom and will also oscillate with variable height and frequency.
Underwater LED lighting for the boat to attract baitfish.
Bow mount electric trolling motors that have autopilot, spot lock anchor features, route recording and return tracking, capable of tying into your graph/gps
Look at the graph/gps units today!!!!  The mapping features.  You can use them to actually create your own personal maps of your own lake or pond!!!
Not to mention the network capabilities and the screen enhancements, etc.

Hey - what about off-shore trolling with kites???
Isn't this similar to using a drone?

Look at the kayak technology advancements made for fishing over the past 5 yrs.

Open your minds a little people.

Please don't trash an idea just because you think it's silly.

Carry on.

8)

Mac

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2017, 09:31 AM »
But you can't use boats on the Chu. And if you haven't noticed we are using a lot of tools like downriggers, outriggers, fish finders, side finders, etc. etc.  

That's what was said about fishfinders when they first came out. One state, Minnesota, wanted to outlaw them.

Bingo!

;)

Baitbucket

« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2017, 10:17 AM »

Well said! There are very few types of people in this world. The "WHATS THAT!?? SHOOT IT!!" type. And the "wow, think of all the things we could do with that" type..

Could you imagine where mankind would be if the former outnumbered the latter?

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2017, 10:26 AM »
There's a lot of those "cannon-casters" on youtube that you can see.
My point posting that link was only to show another alternative way to get the job done.

Think about it for minute.
What people are saying here is maybe what cavemen said when a guy told them he was going to float out into the pond on a log to get better access to the fish.
 :o

Throughout history man has created toys/tools to help us fish.

I ice fished back in the 70's on a bucket with a hand-made jigging rod that most of you would laugh at.
But I caught fish.

Nowadays we have flip up "quilted" huts, led hut lighting, power augers, Vex's, sonars, GPS units, underwater cameras, hut heaters, float suits, you name it..............

What about fishing out of boat???
Look at the endless array of electronics that get introduced every year.
Electric downriggers that tie into your graph to follow the bottom and will also oscillate with variable height and frequency.
Underwater LED lighting for the boat to attract baitfish.
Bow mount electric trolling motors that have autopilot, spot lock anchor features, route recording and return tracking, capable of tying into your graph/gps
Look at the graph/gps units today!!!!  The mapping features.  You can use them to actually create your own personal maps of your own lake or pond!!!
Not to mention the network capabilities and the screen enhancements, etc.

Hey - what about off-shore trolling with kites???
Isn't this similar to using a drone?

Look at the kayak technology advancements made for fishing over the past 5 yrs.

Carry on.

8)

Mac

Bingo 2!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Apr 06, 2017, 10:51 AM »

I can see pros and cons to this new technology,, on soft and hard water ,

UglyStik

« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2017, 11:04 AM »
I vote for the use of tech, Attacks point about the evolution of the sport is a good one. As long as the use of gadgets does NOT interfere with or annoy others. Some of it looks like fun.
Another thing to consider, probably cannot fly a drone in heavy wind, but that never happens here. :)

manitron

« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2017, 12:27 PM »
I can assure you that a cannon caster has been used at the Chu previously by someone that I know. He did not feel that he gained any advantage by using it and he only uses it surf fishing now.

Baitbucket

« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2017, 12:33 PM »
I cant count the number of times extra distance was the difference between catching or not catching.

manitron

« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2017, 12:39 PM »
I cant count the number of times extra distance was the difference between catching or not catching.

Will, I would agree with you based on my experience at the Chu but he did not feel that lugging the cannon in to a remote section of the Chu in order to use it was justified by the results.I was not present at the time but I will tell you that this person is extremely well qualified and the most capable angler that I have ever personally met.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.