FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quabbin Opener  (Read 14809 times)

lowaccord66

Quabbin Opener
« on: Apr 11, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Looks like decent weather.  With my boat getting service I will be going Saturday.  Should be a good time!

Baitbucket

Re: Quabbin Opener
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Looks like decent weather.  With my boat getting service I will be going Saturday.  Should be a good time!

Nice Jon, ill be out there as well. What gate u launching from?

Video from the end of last season. Cant wait!!  https://youtu.be/lXM2KNuB7uM

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Most likely gate 8.  Trolling large dace on leadcore...things should get interesting!  Although it may be calm enough to break put the vex and jig them...

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2017, 05:34 PM »
You lucky dogs!  :'(

Best of luck! Don't forget to post pictures!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Baitbucket

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Most likely gate 8.  Trolling large dace on leadcore...things should get interesting!  Although it may be calm enough to break put the vex and jig them...

Ill have the down riggers and planerboards. Hoping for some salmon.

Eastciderida

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Last year guys were crushing the salmon running planer boards up at gate 8 the first week.

Baitbucket

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2017, 02:25 PM »
Last year guys were crushing the salmon running planer boards up at gate 8 the first week.

Any idea what bait they were using?

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Any idea what bait they were using?

Trolling flies. I do really well with small shiners flatlined 2.0-2.4 mph.

Eastciderida

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Mix of flies and light smaller spoons I had my best luck running leadcore with some small smelt jerkbaits I would mark a fish and just wait for that lure to pass where I marked them could almost count it down to when they would hit

Baitbucket

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2017, 05:40 AM »
Trolling flies. I do really well with small shiners flatlined 2.0-2.4 mph.

How are you rigging the shiners to toll at that speed? Seems like anything over 1.5 is to much for them to handle. They start pin wheeling and spinning lol

Baitbucket

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2017, 05:41 AM »
Mix of flies and light smaller spoons I had my best luck running leadcore with some small smelt jerkbaits I would mark a fish and just wait for that lure to pass where I marked them could almost count it down to when they would hit

No luck using down riggers?

Eastciderida

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2017, 06:17 AM »
most of my fish came from fishing leadcore around the islands do have a couple lakers on the downriggers I was using big 12 inch flashers followed by some db smelts. Got two fresh stocked salmon on the downriggers both about 7 inches long

Grumpus52

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Hi, new guy here. I recognize some of you from the ice fishing site. I guess you could call me a lurker because I haven't posted. I enjoyed reading the posts of those of you that did get out though. Health issues prevented me from ice fishing this past year but I'm ready to go now for open water.
Anyway, as to Quabbin, I have an 18 1/2 ft. Lund and a 16 ft. Discovery. The Discovery is the only boat I currently have tagged for Quabbin. I missed the winter tagging program because of my health issues this winter otherwise I would have had the Lund tagged as well.
In the early Spring we have great luck on Salmon trolling small shiners very slowly on top with planer boards. We catch mostly Salmon but have also caught Lakers and Smallmouth up top as well when the water is still cold. If you can, try trolling a small shiner right in the prop wash as well. It is amazing how close the Salmon will come to the boat. Once the water starts to warm up I go to the downriggers. I bought a gadget last year that give you the temperature every 5 feet when you drop it down and bring it back up. It is a big help for finding the thermocline and is a big aid in finding the fish.
I avoid opening day but will get out during the week (I'm retired) at least until turkey hunting season starts! Good luck to all.

JoeGG

« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2017, 08:05 AM »

Do you sew them on or just lip them?

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2017, 11:45 AM »
How are you rigging the shiners to toll at that speed? Seems like anything over 1.5 is to much for them to handle. They start pin wheeling and spinning lol

Long flatline and real simple hooked through the bottom lip with an octopus hook.  Never had a spin issue but keep in mind some bait sewing is done specifically to introduce spin.  Also have nailed them on smaller krocs going that speed but they ear the shiners better.  If you are lucky enough to find large fatheads those are prime.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.