FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quabbin Opener  (Read 14807 times)

james1981

Re: Quabbin Opener
« Reply #30 on: Apr 15, 2017, 01:45 PM »
wow, I am a little disappointed that the water is still so low...  I would try the golf course I seemed to pick up the Lakers there last year when the water was a little low.  How is the ride out through the grassy island? Must be some sandbars still poking up through...

lowaccord66

« Reply #31 on: Apr 15, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Lakers...lots and lots of lakers.

Baitbucket

« Reply #32 on: Apr 16, 2017, 06:37 AM »
We werent targeting lakers. Salmon was our goal. Had small shiners, Topguns, dodgers, and streamers on flatlines and up to 10ft down .

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: Apr 16, 2017, 08:58 AM »
Couldn't keep away from them.  Decent ones 25-27"

stripernut

« Reply #34 on: Apr 16, 2017, 11:00 AM »
That is some nice lakers!

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: Apr 16, 2017, 11:38 AM »
That is some nice lakers!

We found them shoaled up in 12-30 fow.  Had a triple at one point.  All shiners.  The salmon seemed to be missing.

james1981

« Reply #36 on: Apr 16, 2017, 05:51 PM »
 Bait,

There are some guys that say if you cant see the bottom then you are too deep for salmon this time of year... I never really took that advice but it might help...  This early I am all about live bait...

trophyhntr

« Reply #37 on: Apr 16, 2017, 07:45 PM »
for trolling shiners I like to use a sliding rig like in this video:

small hook in front that slides hooked through the nose, with a small treble in back on the main line hooked into the tail. you can even cinch them up a bit to get a bend in the shiner for a death roll. just make sure you have one of those keel blades to prevent line twist and troll slow under 1.5mph i'd say. I was given one of these rigs by an older guy at wallum lake once and have had much success with it since.

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: Apr 17, 2017, 07:51 AM »

Baitbucket

« Reply #39 on: Apr 17, 2017, 12:43 PM »
for trolling shiners I like to use a sliding rig like in this video:

small hook in front that slides hooked through the nose, with a small treble in back on the main line hooked into the tail.

I use that same exact rig, works very well when they are after live bait.

Bait,

There are some guys that say if you cant see the bottom then you are too deep for salmon this time of year... I never really took that advice but it might help...  This early I am all about live bait...

Just got back from another day out there. It got real snotty around 11. I gave it another hour and then headed in. All I had to show for it was one laker on my flatline shiner rig over 60ft of water. I tried all different depths, lures, livebait, and flies.. No salmon ...

Stopped by Flaggs and he said the guys over at 8 have been doing well on salmon. One guy had 15 over the weekend, another had 8. I am DETERMINED to figure them out over on the other side.  I know they are there!

lowaccord66

« Reply #40 on: Apr 17, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Why the other side Will?  Gate 8 is nice.  I'm sure eventually you will find them or break the seal and get a nice king from O.

james1981

« Reply #41 on: Apr 17, 2017, 01:25 PM »
 try dropping down to 4lb flouro carbon...   It takes a while to figure them out.  Single hook through snout...  Are you running any cowbell rigs? I like the smaller size blades on them size 4-6 less drag.  Time to break out the planer boards... I caught all of last years on them.   I would be in 40ft and have the planers out over the shallows, double threat for lakers and salmon.  FYI ive caught lakers in 5ft of water this time of year.

Lakers I set the riggers to 10ft off bottom with a cowbell rig and sewn shiner. LOTS of work if you are by yourself...  You try dodgers and streamers?  6in of 15lb flouro and dodger...

Baitbucket

« Reply #42 on: Apr 17, 2017, 01:55 PM »
try dropping down to 4lb flouro carbon...   It takes a while to figure them out.  Single hook through snout...  Are you running any cowbell rigs? I like the smaller size blades on them size 4-6 less drag.  Time to break out the planer boards... I caught all of last years on them.   I would be in 40ft and have the planers out over the shallows, double threat for lakers and salmon.  FYI ive caught lakers in 5ft of water this time of year.

Lakers I set the riggers to 10ft off bottom with a cowbell rig and sewn shiner. LOTS of work if you are by yourself...  You try dodgers and streamers?  6in of 15lb flouro and dodger...

Ive been targeting Salmon exclusively so far this year. Ive tried the palner boards, leadcore, downriggers. I guess the plus side is i have only heard of 2 caught over there the past 3 days. Maybe its not me lol.

Why the other side Will?  Gate 8 is nice.  I'm sure eventually you will find them or break the seal and get a nice king from O.

Gate 8 is very nice, but it turns my drive into 45 mins instead of 10min to 31. That nets me about an hour more on the water vs driving. Allan and I have a trip booked to the big O at the end of the month. If it wasnt 5-6hrs each way i might fish it more often lol.

I think my methods are sound, the fish just arent there or not very active. I havent marked to many either.

lowaccord66

« Reply #43 on: Apr 17, 2017, 01:59 PM »
Sold me on the more fishing time...granted I just skip sleep and go earlier.  I cant wait to get back on Ontario....Apparently ripping down amd cleaning 4 carbs takes some time....and wallet...ouch!  Still hunting for a 9.9 kicker...

james1981

« Reply #44 on: Apr 17, 2017, 03:05 PM »
  When in doubt, I like Egypt cove area,  Try the sunken ponds out in the main reservoir. I guess its nothing like just sticking to a plan and hitting it hard... That's why I drag shiners its pretty much a catch all... But How long are you trolling each rig? Once the thermocline sets up it should get better and more predictable.  Did you troll out from the boat launch?

Blame it on Moon phase... That's what I do...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.