FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Evinrude Outboard Motors. The end of an era.  (Read 2610 times)

Teacherpreacher

Evinrude Outboard Motors. The end of an era.
« on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:03 AM »
Just read the history of Evinrude outboard motors. Was really surprised to learn  Bombadier company out of Canada that bought out Evinrude a couple years ago just up and closed their doors on manufacturing Evinrude outboards. No warning, just done! They had financial problems a few years ago but with the development of their E-Tech Motor they were leading the field along with Mercury in many areas. Said the Corona Virus had a lot to do with it. I have a 30 HP E-Tech and love it! Fish for a week and only use a half tank of gas and just a small amout of oil. I guess they will continue to honor warranties and make parts, at least for now. Put 650 employees out of work in Wisconsin.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

taxid

Re: Evinrude Outboard Motors. The end of an era.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:12 AM »
That's a shame. Especially putting 650 people out of work.

I wouldn't be surprised if they crank back up in China with an inferior product.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

iceman260

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:53 AM »
What a shame people out of work. I can't say enough good things about my e-tec 25hp with power trim and tilt. You can fish all day on a gallon of gas it might use half a quart of oil in a year and the self winterizing is really neat. It's lighter than a 4 stroke and will push my sylvan 16.5 aluminum boat 27 mph. with two fisherman in it. So far 5 years of trouble free service.

rivereddy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Got an '84  Evinrude 9.9 still going strong

fish on,

rivereddy

gotagetm

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2020, 02:28 PM »
evinrude/johnson my favorite motors by far although my 8 hp yamaha 4 stroke kicker is great too

charlys1954

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:20 AM »
That's sad, all those people out of a job and one of the best outboards gone. All we can hope is some company will buy the rights and start it back up. Its not the first company to go down because of the Lockdown and won't be the last.
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2020, 09:25 AM »
Even if another company did that I seriously doubt they build 2-strokes again.

mudchuck

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2020, 09:46 AM »
Didn't the US force the outboard motor industry to stop building 2-strokes with EPA mandates a few years back?

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2020, 10:01 AM »
evinrude/johnson my favorite motors by far although my 8 hp yamaha 4 stroke kicker is great too

I have an 8 horse Yamaha 4 stroke too. No issues with it whatsoever.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

iceman260

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Didn't the US force the outboard motor industry to stop building 2-strokes with EPA mandates a few years back?
Yes but the e-tec surpassed the emission standard

gilldan

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Man that tough news right now.  Johnson and Evinrude have always been my go to motors..always easy to work on..I own several 15hp of both.  Parts should be around for awhile as a lot of the parts are interchangable on the units.

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2020, 02:27 PM »
Yes but the e-tec surpassed the emission standard

So do 4 strokes

charlys1954

« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:56 PM »
.......the one bad thing about newer 2 strokes is oil injection.  if it fails(and it does) your cylinders are gone before you shut it down.  pre mix never has that problem.

Yep I agree. I've cussed my 1968 20hp Merc more times than I care to say for hard to start and a SOB pulling the rope. But I ould never have a 4 stroke or oil injection. I'd only get another only if it had a starter and was oil/gas fuel. With oil/gas fuel no matter what happens the cylinders will always get oil.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2020, 10:31 PM »
Yep I agree. I've cussed my 1968 20hp Merc more times than I care to say for hard to start and a SOB pulling the rope. But I ould never have a 4 stroke or oil injection. I'd only get another only if it had a starter and was oil/gas fuel. With oil/gas fuel no matter what happens the cylinders will always get oil.

Not sure why you say you would never have a 4 stroke.

You drive a car or truck?
Motorcycle?
Snowblower?
Lawnmower?
Electric generator?
Gas engine pump?

All 4 strokes.

charlys1954

« Reply #14 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:12 AM »
Kind of a silly question but my last sentence answered your question.

You drive a car or truck?
Motorcycle?
Snowblower?
Lawnmower?
Electric generator?
Gas engine pump?

If my car's oil pump goes out a light/gauge will warn me to shut down immediately. Don't have a cycle, generator, engine pump so that's irrelevant to me. My blower is 2-stroke and if mower pump quits they're cheap to replace and never seen a 2-stroke mower anyway. Outboards are not cheap so I don't want a 4-stroke with no warning when the pump goes out, and who would want to get stranded out in open water with a blown motor if the oil pump/injector stops and you don't know.

To each his own is what they say, so if you want or have one have at it but I don't,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.